• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bonus Etiquette

doink

Reaction score
I received my first bonus from an employer this week. I am wondering what the protocol is for thanking the partners of the firm?

A bit of info, the firm is small, and run by 7 partners, I only work with and report to one of the partners and do limited tasks for 2 others.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would write a hand written note, not a "thank you note" for the bonus as it may be a bit awkward IMO....don't even mention the bonus....very short and not saying much to the partner you report to. This all goes in your HR file, just mention that you appreciate what him and his partners have done for you and how much you enjoy working for the company.

trajan

Reaction score
Why? You got rewarded for your work, didn't you? They should thank you. You should just reply that its part of your job, a job that you love.

--trajan

Star

Reaction score
If you are truly greatful and believe they took care of you with the bonus, then the best way to say thankful is to keep up the good work (how about even trying better) and help them keep making money.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how your bonus is delivered. I have a meeting with my partners to discuss performance, then the bonus is included in my next paycheck. Usually during that meeting I say that I appreciate their confidence in me and I hope I can continue to perform so well.

I tend to agree with those who say it's not appropriate. True, it never hurt anyone, but the bonus is compensation for work you have done and an incentive for you to stay and continue or improve your performance. You would not send a thank you note for your paycheck. The bonus is part of your comp.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I tend to agree with those who say it's not appropriate. True, it never hurt anyone, but the bonus is compensation for work you have done and an incentive for you to stay and continue or improve your performance. You would not send a thank you note for your paycheck. The bonus is part of your comp.

+1

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 248 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%