• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonsai

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
**** pines. Sort of. It isn't that the work is terribly hard but what you have to do you have to do in a period of a couple days. There's pine calendars around see for yourself, Julian Adams has the best.

TBH, just let the plum grow for a year, go to your local club meetings, see what they do, learn a bunch. Books are useful to an extent, you'll know what people are doing but you really just have to work on trees, man.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I expect the learning process to be similar to my other hands-on hobbies such as woodworking. Books and the internet can only take you so far to build a knowledge base, past that it is a combination of doing the work and using reference to exceed past sticking points.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very true. In my case, the lesson was don't move across country and leave all your trees with someone who promises to follow the directions to the letter.

lefty

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
080C3598-0FE3-4CF9-BE85-8E55348EE7C5_zpsbzros76e.jpg

4302C0BD-BFB3-4DF4-A8B8-B4E282C85A37_zpslhnojmas.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes it is, I plan to let it hang out until next spring before I do anything aggressive. I will defoliate next year.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK if you're going to do that you need to be very mindful of the growth because some of the foliage is so much bigger than the rest

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, my reason is that I do not know what schedule of maintenance they have been on, so I would like to be able to get them down pat before I do anything more dramatic.

Agree the leaves are quite large. I trimmed all of the limbs that were out to five nodes down to two nodes, additional ramifications should help reduce the leave size on future growth. I am going in the right direction or thinking incorrectly?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, my reason is that I do not know what schedule of maintenance they have been on, so I would like to be able to get them down pat before I do anything more dramatic.

Agree the leaves are quite large. I trimmed all of the limbs that were out to five nodes down to two nodes, additional ramifications should help reduce the leave size on future growth. I am going in the right direction or thinking incorrectly?

The good news is that in the summer, you can defoliate up to four times, maybe even more. Even up north you could defoliate late into August. We can defoliate from mid-april to late Sept. Basically as long as you aren't re-potting you will be OK for whatever you do to hawthorns now.

Keep teh growth to two, is a good thing. The ramification is really what you're getting with defoliation. The reduced leaf size is just a by-product of that (you want it, yes, but the main thing to focus on is ramification).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Ed,

On that same thread, how far along into the season can I keep trimming back growth.

Also, going for a broom shape with this tree, long way to go.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From what I can see, the broom style might not be the best. It works well as an informal upright, as it is now. You gotta work with what the tree gives you. You could prune into September. You just want to be able to give it time to heal before it goes dormant so it can strengthen up. You can't worry about what the tree looks like now. Think about 10 years from now.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, sg, if you can, head to Rochester Sept. 13-14. The US National Bonsai show is taking place then, I'll be there.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Makes sense, I can work with that. The nursery I bought these from seems to work most often in the informal upright, so I will keep building out the foliage pads and trimming.

That is awesome, I will put it on the calendar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads