• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonsai

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
No, not "ceramic, man" ... "ceramic man."

lol8[1].gif

Our teacher actually brought up the mudmen, said "serious bonsai people don't like them"!

Yeah with root, there was really nothing else to to, the ball is curved as hell and if the ball was straight in there, the tree would be leaning over like crazy.

Anyway, in hindsight I could move it over about an inch. Still not sure if I like the front.

208621_882581966727_22603655_41511916_6403680_n.jpg

196266_882581886887_22603655_41511915_6888639_n.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that inch may make a difference. If you can't do a severe root cut next year then maybe start to bend the top back over the pot to bring some movement and balance back to the overall tree.

You jinned that branch coming off the base? I may have cut it.

lefty

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that inch may make a difference. If you can't do a severe root cut next year then maybe start to bend the top back over the pot to bring some movement and balance back to the overall tree.

You jinned that branch coming off the base? I may have cut it.

lefty

Yeah I think so. The local bonsai society has a meeting coming up, I'll bring it to that.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So this is very exciting... cuttings for propagating new bonsai. Juniper and maple. To say I had no idea what I was doing is an giving me far too much credit.

IMG_20110404_175757.jpg

Going to try some wisteria, dogwood and flowering cherry tonight too. Although I was told the last two are some of the hardest to start. It is free though so why not?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
So this is very exciting... cuttings for propagating new bonsai. Juniper and maple. To say I had no idea what I was doing is an giving me far too much credit.

Going to try some wisteria, dogwood and flowering cherry tonight too. Although I was told the last two are some of the hardest to start. It is free though so why not?

I don't have the patience for that. Rather go buy some cheap nursery stock and chop.

http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/bestof.php

This Larch is quite nice.

contest_walter_pall_Picea_abies4.jpg

lefty

MikkoN

Reaction score
No, not "ceramic, man" ... "ceramic man."
zhao_five_needle_pine1.jpg

This is a pretty good bunjin right here.
Needs more solid nebari and a bit more dramatic lean to the left.
I would also pot this a bit further right.
This tree is still clearly "getting there" so, when done, will make a very fine bunjin indeed.

MikkoN

Reaction score
I trust these have not been posted here yet? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5wnK...eature=related I have had wonderful luck to meet Kimura sensei and his apprentice Marco Invernizzi in person. I have also visited Mansei-en of Kato family. Unfortunately, the late master was out at that time. Unfortunately, seeing the trees in person and discussing with the people taking care of these amazing creations made me drop the hobby as it came very clear to me that without some enormous investments trying to make anything even distantly similar to these pieces in our climate (Finland) is futile. If you are willing to pay a visit to any of the major players in Japanese Bonsai scene, do drop a PM. Still have the contacts. Will cost you a bit, but will surely be worth it. http://aidobonsai.files.wordpress.co...1/dh000015.jpg It never got better than this, Dragon in the clouds, by Kimura sensei. Brain frying shimpaku!!!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikkoN
I trust these have not been posted here yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5wnK...eature=related

Nope. Thanks, too!

http://aidobonsai.files.wordpress.co...1/dh000015.jpg
It never got better than this, Dragon in the clouds, by Kimura sensei.

While this is really, really cool, I still like my bonsai to be more natural looking. Not saying I don't like it but I would style mine differently. Can't really argue with a master though
blush.gif

If you are willing to pay a visit to any of the major players in Japanese Bonsai scene, do drop a PM. Still have the contacts. Will cost you a bit, but will surely be worth it.

I'll PM you shortly. Actually was looking at bonsai tours for next year.

Very interested in that although I'm a noob so not sure how beneficial it would be to me.

Really hope you stick around in this thread.

BTW... post some pics?

MikkoN

Reaction score
http://bonsaijapan.wordpress.com
Some pretty impressive stuff right here.

Familiar with Hideo Suzuki?
To me, he is one of the real stars much hidden by the seniority biz so common in JP.
I visited his garden with a friend some 9 years ago. Amazing stuff coming up!

I bet I missed him becoming a major player...
uhoh.gif

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my grandfather is on his deathbed... i would like to bring back his bonsai tree(s) from korea.

is there anyway for me to do this legally?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When this bad boy isn't dormant, it is something else.

167665_796618089027_22603655_41110177_7274528_n.jpg

Compare and contrast:

206244_885867607277_22603655_41557611_7018544_n.jpg

The monastery has a new Monastic Center and everyone is moving, hence the cart. Thing is about four feet tall. Don't want to think about how much work it is to re-pot that.

MikkoN

Reaction score

While this is really, really cool, I still like my bonsai to be more natural looking. Not saying I don't like it but I would style mine differently. Can't really argue with a master though
blush.gif

I'll PM you shortly. Actually was looking at bonsai tours for next year.

Very interested in that although I'm a noob so not sure how beneficial it would be to me.

Really hope you stick around in this thread.

BTW... post some pics?

That's totally cool! There are many purists in Japan who think Murata is a show-off.
Are you familiar with Kyozo Murata? The man is long gone, but I think his family is still keeping the nursery running in Omiya. He was the master more natural and delicate styles. His book "Four Seasons of Bonsai" should be readily available. If you do not have that, do take a look.
I kind of like both styles, more sculptural and natural, but being a northern chap, nothing quote speaks to me like a beaten up conifer.

Dude...it will take your hobby to a whole new level.
As long as you do not let the awesomeness of the trees there overwhelm you and make you desperate. This is exactly what happened to me.
I had some 6 years under my belt before venturing there...just to realise I was a total noob still.

Our climate makes greeenhouse a mandatory tool really. There is no way I could do that.
Building one, possibly, keeping it heated...hardly.

We have lots of great natural material available here, but the problem is that they do not have enough time to root properly before the Winter hits us again. Also, our winters have killed some well established trees as well.

Sure, I'll hook you up with a friendly party. If he can not sort you out, no one can.

OK, will check this thread from time to time.

Sorry, all photos were taken with my auld trusty Eos 3, so they are all slides.
I have no chance to scan them. Sorry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads