• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bonsai

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fuck pines. Sort of. It isn't that the work is terribly hard but what you have to do you have to do in a period of a couple days. There's pine calendars around see for yourself, Julian Adams has the best.

TBH, just let the plum grow for a year, go to your local club meetings, see what they do, learn a bunch. Books are useful to an extent, you'll know what people are doing but you really just have to work on trees, man.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I expect the learning process to be similar to my other hands-on hobbies such as woodworking. Books and the internet can only take you so far to build a knowledge base, past that it is a combination of doing the work and using reference to exceed past sticking points.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup. You will probably learn more from killing trees than growing them

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very true. In my case, the lesson was don't move across country and leave all your trees with someone who promises to follow the directions to the letter.

lefty

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so here's a project for you. The last tree is that a hornbeam? Cut off all the leaves. Seriously.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK if you're going to do that you need to be very mindful of the growth because some of the foliage is so much bigger than the rest

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, my reason is that I do not know what schedule of maintenance they have been on, so I would like to be able to get them down pat before I do anything more dramatic.

Agree the leaves are quite large. I trimmed all of the limbs that were out to five nodes down to two nodes, additional ramifications should help reduce the leave size on future growth. I am going in the right direction or thinking incorrectly?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So, my reason is that I do not know what schedule of maintenance they have been on, so I would like to be able to get them down pat before I do anything more dramatic.

Agree the leaves are quite large. I trimmed all of the limbs that were out to five nodes down to two nodes, additional ramifications should help reduce the leave size on future growth. I am going in the right direction or thinking incorrectly?

The good news is that in the summer, you can defoliate up to four times, maybe even more. Even up north you could defoliate late into August. We can defoliate from mid-april to late Sept. Basically as long as you aren't re-potting you will be OK for whatever you do to hawthorns now.

Keep teh growth to two, is a good thing. The ramification is really what you're getting with defoliation. The reduced leaf size is just a by-product of that (you want it, yes, but the main thing to focus on is ramification).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Ed,

On that same thread, how far along into the season can I keep trimming back growth.

Also, going for a broom shape with this tree, long way to go.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From what I can see, the broom style might not be the best. It works well as an informal upright, as it is now. You gotta work with what the tree gives you. You could prune into September. You just want to be able to give it time to heal before it goes dormant so it can strengthen up. You can't worry about what the tree looks like now. Think about 10 years from now.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, sg, if you can, head to Rochester Sept. 13-14. The US National Bonsai show is taking place then, I'll be there.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Makes sense, I can work with that. The nursery I bought these from seems to work most often in the informal upright, so I will keep building out the foliage pads and trimming.

That is awesome, I will put it on the calendar.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.