1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bonsai

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by lefty, Apr 27, 2009.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

[​IMG]

My pines, the big branches on top are sacrifices, the oddly curled ones are going to approach grafted into those spots nearby (or shortened). Other than that I'm hoping these will bud back closer to the trunk this spring.

2. SkinnyGoomba

I wired up my hornbeam in copper, it's harder to work but easier on the branch (IMO) since it work hardens to set. I don't find I need to wire a lot on them, but I did want to move a few bigger branches. The small cutters are for removing wire on the small branches, they're useful. The big ones are for everything else.

There is sooooo much info out there on fertilizer and soil it makes your head spin. I've been buried in it for weeks and weeks and finally settled on those two and a mix of lava/fir. In addition to those organics I have dyna pro for weekly application with the watering can during the growing season and a 0-10-10 for the pines in the fall. I feel like everything I have need years and years of good growing before I do anything for refinement.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

technically you'll always be refining. Go read Walter Pall's blog. He has a tree he just posted recently that's been profiled in magazines, won all kinds of awards and he still thinks its 10 years away from its peak

4. SkinnyGoomba

I love walter palls blog, he is a riot. I know exactly what you mean, takes a lot of forward planning. Speaking of Walter, what do you thinking of his soil/fertilizer situation?

Seems awesome, but I am using some organics because I can't rely on twice a day watering.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  5. edinatlanta

"Tell him to go to hell or somewhere else" is my favorite quote of his. The class I took was with a guy who has worked with him extensively and apparently Walter is brilliant. A successful businessman, he speaks six or so languages fluently, has the mental tenacity for bonsai... and just fun to be around.

It works but it takes a lot of work. As I said, I'm just learning more to try and develop a good/better routine so that's all I can offer. Uploading pics of stuff for you soon.

6. edinatlanta

I will get a photo of my cypress. You've got to see the extent of the trunk to realize how great it is and its a bit buried at the moment. Will do it tonight.

Got this pot for my rose but I think it is too big.

[​IMG]

This is the redwood. There's not much too them young. This is about 3 feet tall.

[​IMG]

The viburnum that I don't think is a viburnum.

[​IMG]

some accents

[​IMG]

Had the pot for a while (same people who made the one above) got the succulents last weekend

[​IMG]

Now this is a viburnum

[​IMG]

Got this grass and this pot, too. It isn't so washed out IRL. I'm debating between that pot and another, brown oval-ish one for the grass.

[​IMG]

7. SkinnyGoomba

Nice stuff ed, I don't know much about the accent plants, but the trees look like good stuff. I like the twin redwoods a lot, there is a redwood group planting at Allshapes that I really like.

Are you into junipers at all?

Yes, I agree that Walters routine sounds like a full time job.

8. SkinnyGoomba

Started building an outdoor bench for my trees, wanted something low so that they are easy to water.

I'm building this in white oak and utilizing interlocking joinery which should allow it to survive many years in full sun. I find it important that outdoor furniture have interlocking joinery because the wood will go through many cycles of getting wet and drying.

The planks for the top have been edge jointed, glued and face jointed, they're set for finish planing next week.

The stretcher has been jointed flat on all sides and this is where the excitement starts, the outside joints are going to be captured by a dovetail key through mortise, sounds complicated, looks simple and the work is somewhere between the two.

[​IMG]

The design is a modified version of a very early work by George Nakashima.

[​IMG]

This is the major modification, in making this 6ft long I needed to add a center support leg, and to capture the leg in the stretcher I will be using a combination of fixed and wedged supports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a process of dimensioning the lumber, I have done this for all parts involved with mainly handtools.

[​IMG]

Shaping the fixed support.

Then Mortising for the center support:

[​IMG]

Cutting back detail with rasp then chamfering with spokeshave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed.

[​IMG]

I didn't take detailed pics of the wedged side of this, but it's very similar except that I cut it past the thickness of the center leg so it can do it's job unhindered.

This will also allow me to tighten up the center leg without disturbing the outside legs.

[​IMG]

I will probably also pin the fixed support.

9. SkinnyGoomba

It should start becoming clear what my design looks like in this post. The dovetailed key through tenon is completed in both sides;

[​IMG]

Please note that the top is just resting on the base at this point, I'll be cutting joinery for that as well.

The center upright support is complete;

This is the side with a wedged support which is removable.

[​IMG]

And here is the fixed side, and you can see I cut a groove to clock the support at 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

The top is next and I'll be starting with the wedged through tenons very soon;

[​IMG]

Cruising right along, this part becomes a bit difficult as the top must have everything fitted before it's applied, and since I'm splitting the tenons to wedge them I'll have to prepare that first as well. The glue up is going to be quite tricky.

[​IMG]

These are not bad to create, I saw the sides then use two chisels for the waste, a wide one to cut the end grain and a mortising chisel to split away the waste.

[​IMG]

These are fun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fitting the tenons.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. edinatlanta

Brah! Make me a bench or give me simple plans to build one.

11. SkinnyGoomba

Lol, after this I need a break from white oak for a while. I've actually had to order some white steel chisels made for use with a steel hammer to make life easier when using this material in the future.

I'm building some sculpture stands after this that shouldn't be too difficult to modify so that they can be built with a little more ease. I'm using Hell tenons to attach the top, but they could be subbed for plain tenons and glue or screws.

12. edinatlanta

What sort of plans are there for someone who just wants a bench but rather than something solid have wood slats (so air can circulate around trees)

13. SkinnyGoomba

Most of what I've seen are called 'monkey poles', for instance Brian Van Fleet has a good design for that.

You could also take what I've designed ( or modified to fit my purpose) and remove the solid top, add two stretchers across the top underside and a few battens and then use a slatted top.

All of my pots have small feet (with exception to those big flats and plastic shits) so I went with a solid top. I felt it would protect the stretcher and joinery from constant wet/dry cycles.

14. SkinnyGoomba

15. SkinnyGoomba

16. otc

otc Senior member

I thought this thread was about little trees, not super cool woodwork?

I have been missing out.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  17. edinatlanta

Your mom's a bonsai enthusiast (likes a little wood)

18. SkinnyGoomba

My wife tells me I make everything about woodwork.

19. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

Nice.

1 person likes this.