• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonora shoes

horton

Reaction score
I'm interested in people's thoughts on these shoes in terms of quality and styling.

Thanks

Germanius

Reaction score
Dear Horton,

i just signed up to answer your request. Years ago i bought a very lightly used pair of loafers on ebay at 40$ that are kind of piece of art. The seller had bought them on a sale at 500$ at a haberdasher in Hannover/Germany. They go for around 700 - 800 $ on italian online stores.

Just did a google thing and there might be indonesian? fakes? out there in blue suede. There is a pair of beige suedes on ebay at the moment.

Bonora has two stores, i guees. 1 in fiorence 1 in rome.

Who is selling them in the US and what are they going for?

regards
Rolf

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, no stores carry Bonora in nyc. Naturlaut got a pair in Rome that are exquisite:

bonorawhoecut01.jpg

bonorawhoecut02.jpg

bonorawhoecut07.jpg

bonorawhoecut10.jpg

koji

horton

Reaction score
I know Louis Boston at least used to carry them; I don't know if they still do.

Yoox has several pairs (or had) on-line, one of which has quite interesting stitching and soles (soles are more antiqued than the uppers).

http://www.yoox.com/item/BONORA+Lace.../areaid/36/st/

The leather is incredible to my un-expert eyes, and I know nothing about the construction.

I like the way they look and feel and am deciding whether to keep or not; if people tell me they'll fall apart etc. I might return them.

horton

Reaction score
is there an easy way to tell which is blake and which is goodyear?

and is there a real difference between the two methods for this brand of shoe?

much thanks

horton

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

In the ones I bought from Yoox, the sole is even closer to the upper than those shown above. I don't see stitching but that may be because the sole is so close to the upper that it's too hard to see. Does that suggest goodyear or blake?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
Thanks for the info.

In the ones I bought from Yoox, the sole is even closer to the upper than those shown above. I don't see stitching but that may be because the sole is so close to the upper that it's too hard to see. Does that suggest goodyear or blake?

What jtw3036 means, I believe, is that with Blake-stitched shoes, you can see the top of the stitching on the INSIDE--on top of the insole in the forward part of the shoe. If you can see the top of the sole stitching on the outside (on top of the outsole or welt), then they may be welted, or could be Blake/Rapid constructed.

As to your question about whether or not there is a real difference between the methods of construction, there is. Welted shoes are generally more durable, tougher, and easier to have resoled when that is needed. Blake-constructed shoes, on the other hand, are lighter and a little less substantial on the feet--more delicate, I'd say. There's a place for both in my opinion. It's more difficult to make a truly light and delicate welted shoe, and for shoes that I wear mainly in the summer and not terribly frequently, I prefer Blake construction. My Blake-stitched shoes run as low as 10 oz. per shoe, and they're sleek, trim, and very light on the feet. My welted shoes go more like 16-18 oz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads