1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bonobos Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NoNothingGuy, Sep 2, 2010.

1. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Senior member

There was an older thread regarding Bonobos Suits, but they have since released a newer line. Has anyone tried these suits? Are they decent quality?

I realize they are not going to be "nice" suits, but how do they stand up to Brooks Brothers and J Crew?

Is the fit comparable to a Fitzgerald cut? I am a rather slim guy (5'10" and 145) and prefer a slim cut.

Thanks for any feedback.

http://www.bonobos.com/store/cat/blazers

2. david123

david123 Senior member

A friend of mine ordered one and loves it. He says the fit is perfect. That said, he knows nothing about suit quality, so I can't speak to that. In general I find their stuff very nice, but the suits are a little expensive for a brand that's unproven in that area. Can't hurt to try I guess with free shipping both ways.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

They fit terribly on their own models.

4. NoNothingGuy

They fit terribly on their own models.

I would agree with you on that. I always hate the pictures they provide.

I own five pairs of their pants, all casual, knock-around pants. I have never purchased anything that I would consider "nice," but I do like the way their straight-leg pants fit.

5. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

Looks pretty unwearable. Pulling at waist and crotch, buttons at ribcage, rise inadequate, comically short. The optional flared leg is the cherry on top.

6. ElementHU

ElementHU Senior member

I do like the pants that they still make in New York, but they have since started farming a lot of their other products out to China (e.g. shorts). I took a flyer on their suit out of curiosity because they do have an excellent return policy and because it had been mentioned on their Facebook post that they were canvassed. They have since retracted that as they are obviously fused suits. Fit was horrible for me...I'm a 46 jacket with a 33/34 waist and it was extremely boxy on me. Once I found out they were fused, I intended to return them anyway.

J Crew is probably a better fitting suit for the same quality and price range IMO.

7. NoNothingGuy

I appreciate the feedback.

Thank you very much.

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Horrible. I can't get past the name. Sound like BOZOS or BANANA BOAT to me.

9. shasta

shasta Senior member

I have the nailhead suit and have been very happy with it

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I met a guy who works for them. He's a nice guy.

11. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Horrible. I can't get past the name. Sound like BOZOS or BANANA BOAT to me.
    This is a bonobo: [​IMG] They want to you look like an ape. They don't offer longs or regulars, it looks like the suits are all shorts. They have a short jacket length and short trouser rise. It would seem like you need to be under 5'8" to look okay in their suits. As said before, the models look terrible.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's the guy that I met. Nice guy.

13. shasta

shasta Senior member

What do you guys think about the Alma_Mater Blazer that was released yesterday? I think I'm on the fence with it - but maybe that's just because they butchered the styling (a popped collar on a blazer? Come on!)

[​IMG]

There are referral codes out there for $50 off but even so I'm still not sure if this coat justifys the price tag?

14. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

its classic ivy prep to pop the collar on a blazer du...

15. shasta

shasta Senior member

its classic ivy prep to pop the collar on a blazer du...

Didn't realize that - at least the collar from what I can tell doesn't have a ridiculous color underneath it.

The ribbon on the cuffs feels a little Thom Browne ?

16. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

[​IMG]

STYLIST: All right, now just pop the collar and we'll be set.

PHOTOG: Seriously?

STYLIST: Just do it.

PHOTOG: Hey, it's your shoot.

STYLIST: Okay, let's roll the pant legs to show the plaid.

PHOTOG: You're kidding right? Tell me you're kidding.

STYLIST: And lose the socks...

PHOTOG: Jesus.

17. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

I have the nailhead suit and flagship navy suit (both were purchased on sale). That being said:

I'm 6'3" and they're 30" from BOC on the 42R, maybe a little short for me, but not bad (I always get compliments on my suit from the younger demographic). They didn't offer a 42L until recently, and that's only on select suits.

The fabric is nice. Loro Piana 130s on the flagship, Marzotto 100s on the Nailhead.

The pants fit me well since I have big thighs.

They do not compare to Brooks Brothers. I have only tried on a BB suit jacket in the store, and it felt awesome. The Bonobos suits are very likely fused, but are still pretty nice.

Again, I like the pants that they make, they fit me very well (and I like that some of the dress pants are made in Manhattan). But I think that now that I have these two suits, I can find a suit here on B&S for around the same price that is different than of the Bonobos suits. Unless something strikes me as being something I have to get (and I do like the Brown Flannel Wool suit...).

Edit to add: Measurements for the 36 according to Bonobos -
    36.5" around the chest
    CB length from neck seam - 28 1/4"
    Sleeve Length from shoulder seam - 24 1/2" (32 1/2" for 3 point measurement CB - Shoulder Point - Wrist)

Just for the record.