• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonobos jackets/suits/tuxedos

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I see is a guy in a suit jacket, ugly fuschia pants, and ill-selected sneakers walking a bride down the street. Was there something about nice clothes?

bmf895

Reaction score
Guess you can't read. My sincere apologies. Anyone have something useful to add?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope. but for $450, you can get a better blazer on SF BS. and why is the groom wearing sneakers?

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
nope. but for $450, you can get a better blazer on SF BS. and why is the groom wearing sneakers?

He probably lives in Williamsburg. The price does seem high. I wonder if they make the jackets themselves of if they contract it out.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmf895
Guess you can't read. My sincere apologies. Anyone have something useful to add?

There isn't a complete sentence in your entire post. I thought I made my point pretty clear: overpriced crap from a company that can't even style its own clothes -- why bother? There's great stuff in B&S, as JSN pointed out.

bmf895

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
There isn't a complete sentence in your entire post. I thought I made my point pretty clear: overpriced crap from a company that can't even style its own clothes -- why bother? There's great stuff in B&S, as JSN pointed out.

blush.gif

Bonobos makes pretty decent casual pants. Clearly, they don't make conservative dress clothes. Is there any harm in asking the community if anyone has tried their jackets? You've brought absolutely nothing constructive to this discussion. I shouldn't have called you illiterate. Moving on...

D. Craig

Reaction score
bmf895 - thanks for noticing that we're making blazers. Right now we're doing small-run tests and samples to make sure that we nail the fit, which is always our top priority. To answer your other question, we are designing the blazers ourselves (not outsourcing that piece) and currently have a small run of fun seersucker in production here in the NYC garment district that we intend to launch within the next month. As for the wedding stuff, that is currently all made on an as-ordered basis. We'll have a full line of standard wool and cotton blazers out within the next few months.

At the risk of sounding like a trolling marketing hack, I'll throw out there that we take forums like this one seriously in terms of serving as strong feedback loops for refining our product offering. We get that you guys have strong opinions on style and respect that. With that in mind, bmf895, if you want to email me I can see about getting you a test blazer to try out and opine on when the production run shows up.

Craig from Bonobos
celbert (at) bonobos.com

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D. Craig
...At the risk of sounding like a trolling marketing hack, I'll throw out there that we take forums like this one seriously in terms of serving as strong feedback loops for refining our product offering. We get that you guys have strong opinions on style and respect that. With that in mind, bmf895, if you want to email me I can see about getting you a test blazer to try out and opine on when the production run shows up.

Craig from Bonobos
celbert (at) bonobos.com

Here's direct feedback:
If Bonobos' idea of style is evidenced by the photo on the linked page then I will continue to not buy them.

D. Craig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Here's direct feedback:
If Bonobos' idea of style is evidenced by the photo on the linked page then I will continue to not buy them.

Cool, good to know - thanks. I'll pass on it on to our wedding guy. FWIW, that's not a styled or modeled photo... it's an actual wedding where we did the custom-colored pants for all the groomsmen. Personally, I thought it was a fun and unique casual approach, but obviously I'm biased. Anyway, point taken, thanks for the feedback.

Additional FWIW, outside of the fun stuff, we been putting some more conservatively styled pieces lately. Thoughts?

pdial

Reaction score
I got a pair of the Corps in the mail today. The fabric was pretty nice and a good weight for summer. The fit was good for me as well even though I only tried them on for a few minutes. I'll wear them tomorrow to see how the do after an entire day.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Here's direct feedback:

I've never quite understood this. It's just one picture. You don't have to buy the entire ensemble. Ralph Lauren puts together somethings that I think are horrendous but I'm not going to stop buying his products because of the way he puts them together. Maybe I'm just missing something.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D. Craig
Cool, good to know - thanks. I'll pass on it on to our wedding guy. FWIW, that's not a styled or modeled photo... it's an actual wedding where we did the custom-colored pants for all the groomsmen. Personally, I thought it was a fun and unique casual approach, but obviously I'm biased. Anyway, point taken, thanks for the feedback. Additional FWIW, outside of the fun stuff, we been putting some more conservatively styled pieces lately. Thoughts?
Speaking for myself, it's the cut and fit of the pants that I don't like--nothing wrong with a bold color here and there. Because of the way they narrow at the knees before flaring out into a bootcut opening, they put a lot of emphasis on the hips and the rear end, like women's pants. Especially when viewed from the side, it looks like the wearer is trying to push out his ass and show it off. Not appealing. Also, the bootcut ruins the line of the pants. Usually, a guy wants his legs to look leaner and longer, no? Rather than a straight, gently tapered line to the ground, the silhouette you've created is a series of clumps. I understand that you are trying to make trousers for men who are more used to wearing low-rise, bootcut jeans, but there are certain objectively good qualities of classic fit that you've sacrificed to achieve that. Horses for courses, but I wouldn't be surprised if you don't find much support here, that's all.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Speaking for myself, it's the cut and fit of the pants that I don't like--nothing wrong with a bold color here and there. Because of the way they narrow at the knees before flaring out into a bootcut opening, they put a lot of emphasis on the hips and the rear end, like women's pants. Especially when viewed from the side, it looks like the wearer is trying to push out his ass and show it off. Not appealing. Also, the bootcut ruins the line of the pants. Usually, a guy wants his legs to look leaner and longer, no? Rather than a straight, gently tapered line to the ground, the silhouette you've created is a series of clumps.

I understand that you are trying to make trousers for men who are more used to wearing low-rise, bootcut jeans, but there are certain objectively good qualities of classic fit that you've sacrificed to achieve that. Horses for courses, but I wouldn't be surprised if you don't find much support here, that's all.

Could this idea stem from your own wishes for leaner, longer legs? I don't share this ideal. Maybe it's the opposite for me, per my own 'handicaps'.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads