• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bologna construction

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me a good explantation of this?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is basically a hot dog that is formed into a larger sausage shape and sliced for sandwiches.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
La specialità bolognese...?
wink.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me when I look at diagrams of various constructions I still don't know what the hell they're talking about? Diorshoe's explanation almost makes sense. I think I really need to see the process to visualize what the differences are.

Here's another question, do other types of constructions such as Bologna or Blake/Blake rapid stitch mean they forego the use of a welt and instead directly sew the upper to the insole/sole?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yes, as far as i know, blake and bologna does not use an official welt used in a goodyear shoe. the welt is the piece residing inside that the upper is tacked onto and the outsole is tacked onto on the bottom side.

the blake and bologna are both sort of directly onto the outsole medium.
there may be some intermediate layers there of course, but the essentially it is upper directly on top of sole.

blake stops at the edge of the sole. stitched on there. there is no upper leather going beneath your feet.
bologna goes further all the way cylindrically so the upper piece is touching each other again beneath your foot.

this is what i come to know of it.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Is it just me when I look at diagrams of various constructions I still don't know what the hell they're talking about? Diorshoe's explanation almost makes sense. I think I really need to see the process to visualize what the differences are.

Here's another question, do other types of constructions such as Bologna or Blake/Blake rapid stitch mean they forego the use of a welt and instead directly sew the upper to the insole/sole?

No, it's not just you. I couldn't tell Goodyear from Bologna from Salami. The Norvegese is pretty obvious, though. I just buy shoes that I know are well made and that I like, regardless of the construction method (not glued of course). Call me crazy
crazy.gif

And Matt calling Bologna a larger, flatter version of a hot dog is an insult to hot dogs. At least in hot dogs you know you are getting the leftover parts from various animals (domesticated and otherwise) that have absolutely no other use. I still don't know what inorganic products are used to construct Bologna.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good explanation. So Bologna is the equivalent to the Burrito method in Mexico.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Follow up question,

What makes the Goodyear or hand-welting superior to Bologna or blake/blake rapid stitch?

BTW, the Santoni website says (aside from the fact it's the same horrible explanation of each process) that there is a "single welt" involved for blake rapid, bologna, and betivegna.

I'm with Ed here. All I know is Goodyear is "supposed to be" better so I buy shoes in consideration of that, but I couldn't tell the difference if you handed me a shoe and asked me to tell you what type of construction it is. Someone can probably hand me a blake rapid and tell me its goodyear and I'll say, "COOL!" with no freakin' clue.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
goodyear is claimed to be (by some salespeople) more comfortable and conforming to the foot in wear.
i found this to be true for blake as well. all shoes by nature has a sort of a conforming insole to the foot. my blakes are as comfortable as my goodyears.

goodyear is supposed to be easier to resole than blake: i dont have any experience in this, but knowing the descriptions of both i would have to agree.
the welt keeps the upper from being mangled from frequent replacements.

think about a shoe gone through several resolings, each time the tacking and sewing must go through the sole and into the poor upper leather again weakening it.
but i have kept shoes for more than several years without a resole so for me this is moot.

goodyear is supposed to be more substantial in overall construction and look.
this is where i agree absolutely. take a blake shoe (it can be highly ornate too) down to its bear minimum and a goodyear to a bear minimum. you will see from the diagrams the construction method of goodyear is much more complex. more time spent looks to be. and that usually registers in our mind a more premium make so we go for it. but for me i am as well collecting both but tend to on the heavier goodyear /norvogese /bentivegna side.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Goodyear is done on a Goodyear machine. Bologna is not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads