Bolo Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alaaro, Dec 12, 2004.

1. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

The topic of bolo's came up when I was out last nite, with some guys saying they were ok, some girls saying absolutely not. I figured this would be a good thing to ask here. What's everyone think of them? Does anyone wear them? I never have, doubt I will, but I figured I'd ask.

2. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

In Iraq, there are certain vehicles which were to be stopped and searched. Certain models we believed to be favored by terrorists and other assorted riff raff. There was a new list printed every day, of cars for which we were to "Be On the Look Out"--the BOLO list.

Coincidence? I think not.

Tom

ps. no I don't equate cowboys and terrorists and all other necessary disclaimers.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

NOOOOoooOooOo...........1

Please, GOD, enough with the cowboy look PLEASE.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I wouldn't wear a bolo tie...

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I disagree with the general feeling on the board that women's fashion advice should be, for the most part, completely ignored. While I think that if their suggestions on *what to wear* re by and large garbage (because they know nothing about men's fashion), a woman's opinion in the negaive should nearly always be heeded. This is a case in point.

6. Kai

Kai Senior member

Some people look good in bolo ties.  My Grandfather wore bolo ties and looked great wearing them.  However, my Grandfather was a genuine, working cowboy, who lived on a ranch, rode horses, and went to the cattle auction and bid on steers and heiffers with other cowboys who wore bolo ties.  

If you aren't a real cowboy, I don't know if you really should wear a bolo tie.  You will probably look like a poseur moron. (Like the guys who wear their jeans tucked into their cowboy boots.)

For those who are thinking "Hey, I rode the pony that one time at summer camp, and didn't even fall off. Maybe I'm a real cowboy and could wear a bolo tie."

If you haven't roped, branded, and cut the nuts off a bull calf, you probably aren't a real cowboy, summer camp notwithstanding.

7. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I grew up in a farming community, and the auctioneers wore bolos. If you're an auctioneer (or live in Texas and make your money from ranching), go for it.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

like a similar discussion a while back - if you are a real cowboy, you can wear a bolo tie. I don't think that I know anybody who would fall into this discription. I think that the same goes for a lot of different articles of clothing.

9. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Scouts also wear bolos

10. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Yipppeeee...hiaaaayyy.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I actually was talking about bolo ties yesterday with a friend from Texas. He could pull it off by dint of being an actual Texan, but otherwise, I'd caution against it. Caution may be too nice a word.