• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bold suits - choosing the rest of the look

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Slightly overtight tailoring aside, I really love that suit. And the sock/shoe combo is great with it.

Not a fan of the shirt/tie/square though. Good example for the thread though; what would work better in their place, I wonder?

Fire.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Slightly overtight tailoring aside, I really love that suit. And the sock/shoe combo is great with it.

Not a fan of the shirt/tie/square though. Good example for the thread though; what would work better in their place, I wonder?

You see I really like this outfit and think it works and this gentleman really looks comfortable with the look as well. But it could work better and my eye is drawn to the tone of the red in the suit. It isn't perfect and the whole would look alot better if the red was not present at all or perhaps if it was more magenta-ish

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
What an awful collar.

s5vRq.jpg

I don't see a color in here. Black and White, neither are colors! Just two ends of the shade spectrum.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt and tie are to much the same- not bold enough.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-03-27%2Bat%2B8.43.12%2BPM.png

malat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greger
Shirt and tie are to much the same- not bold enough.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2011-03-27%2Bat%2B8.43.12%2BPM.png

As wild as that outfit is, the brother carries it with a commendable air of confidence and attitude.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is nice, except the tie would look better with diagonal strips. The guy exhibits power or suredness.

15.jpg

Some of the other pictures don't have full body. If the "rig" doesn't fit the head shape, hair style, hair and eye color, or the complexion, and the personality it doesn't work. There needs to be common denominators (theme or themes) between the groups to tie them together. There is a math to logic that needs to work here, or you have the wrong answer, which is failure.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by malat
As wild as that outfit is, the brother carries it with a commendable air of confidence and attitude.

That he does. I like just a little more contrast. But is his intended purpose contrast, or harmony between patterns? If the latter I would be wrong on his intent. Or, maybe he wanted to back off a little, we all have those days.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is nice, except the tie would look better with diagonal strips. The guy exhibits power or suredness.

You think that out fit needs MORE stripes?

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
You think that out fit needs MORE stripes?

The solid seems out of place. Even his hair is speckled. The solid doesn't draw the attention to his eyes or even his face, but below his face. He is not facing straight ahead, so can't draw to many conclusions. He certainly is an artist with clothes. Some want to dress bland and like to fade into the crowd. Anyway, I think personality and skill has lots to do with it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I can't go bold or vividly patterned with a tie. I can't wrap my mind around it and make it work. I will choose a striped shirt though on occasion, but it will subdued.

BarChallenge2.JPG

FridaySpano6.jpg

SuperYid-1.JPG

Apart from the PoW which is a timeless classic, very 1960s. Regrettably they conjure memories of polyester garments.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Apart from the PoW which is a timeless classic, very 1960s. Regrettably they conjure memories of polyester garments.
+100

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

That second suit is a Domenico Spano and the third is a vintage Polo, from the '70s. Neither are polyster. LOL.

Mike

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The solid doesn't draw the attention to his eyes or even his face, but below his face.

Yes, that's exactly the problem I thought it had too, which I mentioned upthread somewhere.

Originally Posted by aj_del
tumblr_lixxa5e1D41qav7byo1_500.jpg

I like this. The tie-pin and very strong texture on the tie creates enough central interest to balance the bold suit, despite it being solid. Imagine this with twill brown in the same shade. Would not work.

Yes, I'm definitely firming up my earlier position that strongly patterned suits benefit from a patterned tie, or at least one with insane amounts of visual texture, or an accessory of some sort, to keep the eye moving around and not either focusing on just the suit, or too centrally on a dark solid tie.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one else included this:
Chalky-White-boardwalk-empire-16933046-1600-1200.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads