Boiled peanut business

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Joseph K. Bank, May 1, 2008.

1. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Senior member

If a person wanted to try "exotic Thai cuisine," wouldnt they just go to the Thai restaurant around the corner? You are talking about a peanut here, a boiled peanut at that. My adivice is to keep it what it is: A simple, yet delicious treat. That said, if you want to develop flavor combos, consider flavors that people will recognize and are somewhat familiar with, as you want your product to appeal to a wide range of people.

I feel that Thai would be a good taste combination because I once had a Thai dish that actually included peanuts in it. I would like the product to appeal to health concerned snackers with a curiosity for the exotic so I don't feel that Ranch would suit my taste demographic as Thai or perhaps Falafel flavor would. I associate Ranch with Doritos which I do enjoy but I feel are on a lower taste level. I am open to other flavor suggestions with a similar appeal.

2. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

If your venture is innovative and unique, I have no doubt that it would do fairly well in NYC as street food. Throw in some quirky flavors and establish a small brand / image for yourself (nice packaging, maybe some sort of small 'gimmick' - uniform or something?) and people will eat it up (no pun intended [​IMG])

These days, everyone is a self-professed 'foodie' and all about trying new things; a street vendor offering something other than pretzels/pizza/hot dogs/kebab would be refreshing.

Mix it up with a few savory (i.e. curry, spicy cajun), and a few sweet flavors (maybe boil them with some fruit concentrate/preserves for a PB&J flavor?).......

3. Joseph K. Bank

I have a concern in regards to people who might have peanut allergies. I was at Five Guys Hamburgers and Fries on Chestnut St. yesterday and noticed that they have a sign asking patrons not to remove the peanuts (which they provide for free) from the premises due to people who might have allergies. If someone were to smell my boiled peanuts while passing my stand and have an allergic reaction would I be legally responsible? I remember on an episode of the TV show Freaks and Geeks a main character almost died due to being exposed to peanuts by a school bully. I would hate to have such an tragedy on my conscious and wonder if a person could have such a severe allergic reaction just from the peanut aroma which can be quite strong.

4. dsholmes1

dsholmes1 Senior member

boiled peanuts are freakin delish. I bought my first watch with earnings from selling boiled peanuts. Go for it.

5. West24

West24 Senior member

did that watch by any chance come from the dollar store?

6. Joseph K. Bank

boiled peanuts are freakin delish. I bought my first watch with earnings from selling boiled peanuts. Go for it.

Thank you for your encouragement and also to England who seems to understand the concept of my business model which also includes specific packaging and a uniform which I would wear. May I ask if when you were selling boiled peanuts if you had encountered any potential customers or pedestrians passing by who had allergic reactions from the product from merely smelling the aroma?

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^Who are you?
    I mean, really.

8. datasupa

datasupa Senior member

May I ask if when you were selling boiled peanuts if you had encountered any potential customers or pedestrians passing by who had allergic reactions from the product from merely smelling the aroma?

The aroma of bovine excrement?

9. West24

West24 Senior member

this is getting soooooooo old joseph. your whole shtik isnt funny anymore!
    (or ever)

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank you for your encouragement and also to England who seems to understand the concept of my business model which also includes specific packaging and a uniform which I would wear. May I ask if when you were selling boiled peanuts if you had encountered any potential customers or pedestrians passing by who had allergic reactions from the product from merely smelling the aroma?

I am curious about your uniform. Are you sure it is correct to call it a uniform if you are the only employee? I thought the word uniform implies a garment that is identical in fundamental appearance across the many people wearing it. With only one employee, your dress would really be more correctly termed a logo for or, generically, a symbol of your enterprise.

I am open to the possibility that I am mistaken and that your garment would be considered a uniform if you wear the same thing every day (either freshly laundered or only same in appearance but not really the same particular garment).

11. dsholmes1

dsholmes1 Senior member

Actually it came from Tourneau. It was a Seiko. But hey I was 13.

12. Joseph K. Bank

13. Joseph K. Bank

14. West24

West24 Senior member

Actually it came from Tourneau. It was a Seiko. But hey I was 13.

regardless youre a pimp.

15. Joseph K. Bank

I am curious about your uniform. Are you sure it is correct to call it a uniform if you are the only employee? I thought the word uniform implies a garment that is identical in fundamental appearance across the many people wearing it. With only one employee, your dress would really be more correctly termed a logo for or, generically, a symbol of your enterprise. I am open to the possibility that I am mistaken and that your garment would be considered a uniform if you wear the same thing every day (either freshly laundered or only same in appearance but not really the same particular garment).
    I do feel that it is appropriate to call it a uniform because I will be wearing the exact same professional ensemble everyday at the stand. I believe that the uniform I envision will be the first to incorporate conservative business attire in the service industry in a way that not only elevates the level of professionalism but also communicates to the consumer that a boiled peanut vendor is no less important than an investment banker.