boglioli suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Luc-Emmanuel, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Anyone owns a boglioli suit and can tell me about the overall quality of the product? I know they are making fused suits for etro.
    Fit, construction, fabric used or all other details are appreciated.

Thanks
    !luc

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Bergdorf Goodman sells both Boglioli and Etro. I know fused is a bad word here, but the Etro suits I saw at BG were very, very nice. Fabric, cut, the whole nine yards. From what I can gather, the main issue with fusing is the reaction to dry cleaning, but does anyone dry clean a suit more than twice a year? Anyway, the Boglioli stuff they have is also quite nice and supposedly better made. I think Boglioli has two lines, "Sartoria" and "Italia" with the Sartoria being the higher end and one would assume, better made. The ebay seller, with those anoying as hell listings, that currently has them is a wee bit overpriced for ebay and has not been able to sell them for over a month. Blondy's Bay auctions usually sells them in the low $300's. I have a navy Boglioli sportsjacket coming and will post pics and a short review when I get it.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't own any, but have seen a number in stores. The quality varies widely, from nice material and very good construction to entirely mediocre. I don't know an easy way to distinguish based on tags, either. I think the best I've seen had unfinished sleeves.

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

. From what I can gather, the main issue with fusing is the reaction to dry cleaning, but does anyone dry clean a suit more than twice a year?

I think that the main issue with fusing is that it's not a floating canvas which has other attributes beyond its ability to resist the dreaded bubbling.

5. EL72

EL72 Senior member

From what I can gather, the main issue with fusing is the reaction to dry cleaning, but does anyone dry clean a suit more than twice a year?

I dry clean suits even less than that (some I wear seldom I haven't dry cleaned in years) but it really only takes once for the fusing to come unglued. I've had 2 Boss suits do the bubbly on me.

I also agree with Tomasso that there is also a question of fit and drape with full-canvas vs. fusing.

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I think that "good fusing" solves those issues. A crap suit is a crap suit (see any of the Indian/HK tailors that advertise in the NYC papers), whether the canvas floats or not. Granted, if the maker took the time and money to do the floating canvas, the assumption would be that it is a better garment then a fused one but I have owned fused garments that are much better made and cut (no bubbling or any other "distortions" going on 5 years) then some of the floating canvas stuff that is discussed here. I am taking about mid priced stuff, obviously not the big boys.

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I love my Etro suit. I know it's fused but fabric, cut and details are all very nice. British cut with an Italian flair.

I have a casual Boglioli jacket and it is phenomenal. The overall cut and the details are as good as it gets. I have some Barbera Sartoriale, Brioni, Isaia, RLPL...and I was very impressed by this coat. I have seen but not tried the Boglioli suits that Saks sells and really like the designs/cuts - if they were canvassed, it would probably be my favorite maker

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I think that "good fusing" solves those issues.

The quality of fusing has improved tremendously in recent years but it doesn't fit, drape and mold to the body as canvas does. The newer, better fusing may be more bubble resistant than previous incarnations but it's nowhere near as resilient and pliable as canvas.

9. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Thanks all for your input.

!luc