• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bogle leaving rag & bone

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've read that nathan bogle is leaving rag & bone to set up his own premium denim label that will be positioned in a more niche and higher price range than the current rag & bone label

the remaining two rag & bone guys, marcus wainwright and david neville, will continue with rag & bone

i have no other details about bogle's new denim label but higher prices than the current rag & bone????

pacioli

Reaction score
Yes, more expensive than RB. Looks like it may not be premium streetwear. Perhaps a lifestyle brand of the Hermes calibre?

seen

Reaction score
Is this the beginning of the end of another great denim line?

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seen
Is this the beginning of the end of another great denim line?

God, I hope not. R&B is in a class of its own when it comes to non-repro, non-Japanese denim and, in my opinion, only one of five Western denim labels I'd wear (along with Kicking Mule, Nudie, Julian Red and APC; have no opinion on 5EP).

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
God, I hope not. R&B is in a class of its own when it comes to non-repro, non-Japanese denim and, in my opinion, only one of five Western denim labels I'd wear (along with Kicking Mule, Nudie, Julian Red and APC; have no opinion on 5EP).

I thought Bogle was Rag & Bone.

Only Kicking Mule and maybe 5EP are at the level of Rag & Bone.

someoneNew

Reaction score
I don't do high-end denim ($100+), but am wondering what you all think on the short-term state of premium denim. Does it seem like he's jumping into it a little late for denim only? How much longer do you all expect the denim demand to be? I believe there will always be a niche group to pay that price but it seems logical that the rest of the people who are buying it now will move onto something else sometime soon and revert back to spending 40-80 for denim.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someoneNew, people who are now buying $300 jeans will not revert to buying $80 jeans, they will simply start buying fewer pairs of $300 jeans and buy $300's worth of some other type of garment. Prices, which are like taxes, don't become lower once they've gone higher. There have been some brands (most notably, Paper Denim & Cloth) which have lowered their prices, but that was a conscious decision on the part of Federated to reach a different consumer. However, the number of brands available will become less as the market dries up and companies fall prey to attrition. I think that denim is still pretty strong, but I see the market tapering off somewhat very soon.

As for Nathan Bogle's new line, we'll see. After all, Earnest Sewn has sort of supplanted Paper Denim in that particular niche, and Paper Denim has been relegated to a second tier line. After Jerome Dahan left Seven, Seven continued to be strong, but it had to make room for Citizens of Humanity. It doesn't sound like Nathan Bogle is gunning for the same market as Rag&Bone, but you can never be sure. As I understand it, he was the spokesman for the group, but was not necessarily the driving force behind the brand, so we'll see about that as well.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I thought Bogle was Rag & Bone.

Only Kicking Mule and maybe 5EP are at the level of Rag & Bone.

5EP uses higher quality denim and is better constructed than most Rag & Bone models, but I think that they occupy significantly different niches. Except for Habitual, I see very little competition for the niche Rag & Bone currently occupies. Between 5EP and KMW (a much better comparison, imo), I think that 5EP takes it. But KMW is also very high quality.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i believe that both bogle and wainwright were equally responsible as the designers for rag & bone and that neville is the financial/business mind

on a related note, i also hear that josia lambeto-egan has left trovata, no word on what he is planning to do, not sure if he was the designer or the finance or marketing guy there .....

since everything in life happens in threes, who will be the third designer to announce his departure?

my vote goes to hedi slimane at dior because they won't give him an alleged $25M pay cheque ......

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I thought Bogle was Rag & Bone. Only Kicking Mule and maybe 5EP are at the level of Rag & Bone.
Oh, I know. And I think only Kicking Mule's denim is comparable, now only if they perfected their cuts. I was just saying those are the only labels worth anything. If Rag & Bone sells out a la PDC...
frown.gif
*EDIT*: By the way, I can't comment on 5EP. I'm too "into" other lines right now.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
Oh, I know. And I think only Kicking Mule's denim is comparable, now only if they perfected their cuts.

I was just saying those are the only labels worth anything.

If Rag & Bone sells out a la PDC...
frown.gif

*EDIT*: By the way, I can't comment on 5EP. I'm too "into" other lines right now.

Noted. The 5EP gods will spare you the smiting, for the time being. But be careful...

Surriously though, check out that **** dude. I have experience with all of the western brands you mentioned, and 5EP is my favorite.

As for Nathan Bogle, I hope it isn't one of those At The Drive-In like split-ups, where everybody thought "This is great! We had one band, now we have two bands!" but the end result is barfy. Bitter? Infinitely.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he left because they wouldn't let him produce 32x34 and his new brand will produce solely 32x34? A man can dream, right? :p

soultek

Reaction score
for what it's worth, i've got a japanese repro, apc NS, nudie RR, and rogan. my pair of 5EP takes it hands down. best denim, great indigo, great construction and nice fit (though the rise might be a tad high for my tastes).

xcoldricex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
As for Nathan Bogle, I hope it isn't one of those At The Drive-In like split-ups, where everybody thought "This is great! We had one band, now we have two bands!" but the end result is barfy. Bitter? Infinitely.
haha great analogy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads