Boggi Milano made in Italy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by macaroni, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Zamsonite

Zamsonite Member

[​IMG]There are allways going to be uneducated people that comment on clothes that they really know nothing about. Someone said that Boggi hade chinese factories in Italy and only some collections are made in italy. Bullshit! I have looked through most of the items sold in Boggi Stockholm and guess what? I couldn´t find many items made outside Italy at all. And was it member: qualitypassion who said that Boggi are entry level??. Entry level to what? If someone thinks that super 150s wool made by loro piana is entry level, I would say that person knows nothing about clothes, and thats just what the last suits from Boggi that I bought was made of. So what is super 180s wool then? just above entry level??... come one people. Learn your textiles and how to determine what is good quality and what is not. Its not all about tweed and english made bespoke..

2. Dorsoduro

Dorsoduro Member

Regarding BOGGI's quality and where it's made. Don't kid yourself, BOGGI although nice and somewhat affordable is NOT high end. The quality is just OK, nothing more. It's definitely NOT the level of Corneliani, Isiah, Pal Zilleri, Canali. I'm not even mentioning the crazy expensive Brioni and Kiton.
    For those who don't know there is an invasion of Chinese in Italy and they have taken over a good part of the textile industry in Prato / Milano area. Many of these factories are illegal and some are not. An Italian textile buyer was quoted as saying, " in all fairness some of the material they ( the Chinese inside Italy ) make are just as good as ours. Hence the increasingly prevalent saying: Made in Italy by Chinese hands.
    Before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I've traveled to 122 countries and seen Italy from SWISS border to the north all the way to Siracusa on the southern most territory of this great country. I like BOGGI, but quality is mid level at best.

3. labravajazz

labravajazz Senior member

OK I'm impressed by your prodigious experience of Italy and other countries but this not a travelogue, just a discussion of views on clothing quality - where it is made and where the fabric originates from is relevant but when it comes down to it its the end result that counts.
    Obviously BOGGI has different levels of quality. As mentioned the jacket I have is of the most superb flannel by Heinl and i am comparing to the best Corneliani, Pal Zileri, Zegna Couture, Canali, Loro Piana and such, if not quite perhaps Kiton or Brioni. Absolutely not mediocre in any sense though and no I'm not kidding myself - I have no reason to.
    I don't claim to be a textile or tailoring expert but in all fairness Boggi is definitely not entry level from my experience. If you think my jacket i refer to is mid level I might agree but at the very upper end of mid, no doubt in my mind!

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Boggi sells typical middle-of-the-road, Northern Italian style menswear. I think their price-quality ratio is very competitive, though unfortunately lately their style seems to become more and more fashion forward(ish). And more expensive...
    They obviously sell stuff at varying quality levels and source their collections from various subcontractors. The higher end stuff comes from some fairly reputable Italian mass manufacturers. Most dress shirts are made in Romania (Romans, after all ;-), much of the casual stuff comes from China, AFAIK.
    In my experience (and I used to buy Boggi a lot when I was still lving in Europe) some of their products are excellent (merino and lambswool knitwear, some of their suits), other stuff is mediocre at best (especially the dress shirts, unfortunately).

5. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

I have a jacket of theirs made somewhere in Eastern Europe...Can't remember exactly where. Hungary or Czech Republic perhaps? Quality is good though (edit: for the price I paid for it). Agree that it is definetely entry-level, relative to SF.

Last edited: May 11, 2015

6. Dorsoduro

Dorsoduro Member

Dear Labravajazz, as you've probably surmised my intention is far from showing off. As most of us know quality is harder and harder to find and a notable fashion house CEO admitted that in the past 30+ years clothing manufacturers have been forced expand marketing costs at the cost of reduced quality - On the scale of quality Corneliani, Isiah and certain Zegna excluding ZZegna are mid to upper mid level BOGGI is at the mid to low mid level. A step above Massimo Dutti and BOSS. Still for everyday suits they're great but they still do adhesive bonding and no horse hair, horn buttons or hand stitching can be found in their suits unlike brands aforementioned. They don't last long and don't wear well as long as Corneliani or Pal Zilleri does. In the end it's what you like that matters.

7. Zamsonite

Zamsonite Member

Regarding your false statements about BOGGI:

First of all their suits are not made in China, so please stop talking about China when you are referring to Boggi, Not does it only show that you poorly know the clothing industry but allso spread false information. Regarding the quality you allso claim its not high end. Please understand that high end is not just a brand. Is Armani high end, is Zegna high end? is Boggi high end? The correct anwnser to that question is simply:

They are all high end and not high end. First you must compare the right clothing line. Armani Collezioni makes suits for 1400Euros and are not high end in my belief. And those are made in Romania! If you would compare a suit of fine wool from Loro Piana with hand made moments (and don´t fool your self, there are no 100% hand stitched suits in your wardrobe from any designers that you mention) with a G-line or M-line Armani Collezioni suit, I would choose the Boggi! Why? Because they are still made in Italy by Italians and not by chinese people, as some idiot mentioned. The suits are, mostly made out of good fabrics. With that I mean s120s or s150s or even finer.

In your world Corneliani and Pal Zileri is high end but Boggi not. I have news for you! Go do your homework and you will find out that even Zileri has stuff not made in Italy. In fact ALL BRANDS HAVE. And someone mentioned Zegna as high end. I claim the same thing there too. ZZegna is Crap compared to the Boggi suits i wear. Im refering to materials, stitching and how the fabrics adapt to your body while wearing it. How does the fabrics move when you move?. Such things defines a well tailored suit. Not just the brand or the price as so many people falsely belief. Zegna is high end ZZegna is not! So many people think because Boggi doesn´t cost as mush as a Corneliani suit... It cant be as good. Wrong! If you do know clothing, It is easy to compare. If you don´t know clothing and how to recognize a quality suit when you see one, ofcourse you are more limited and I suggest you go and buy Armani or maybe Versace.

Corneliani and Canali are for example equally good suitmakers and still a lot of people like you know only Corneliani because of marketing and lack of real interest of doing your homework. I have dressed in suits since I was 15 because I liked it. I took whatever i had and sometimes i had to buy H&M stuff to combine a whole package. No one around me noticed what was H&M and what was not. Because it´s not all about the brand. It´s how it fits your body and how you wear it too. Well if you are shaped a bit odd, maybe most stuff wont look good on you until you tailor them. Fortunatly I didn´t have that problem, maybe a bit wide shoulders but that usually is not a problem, not even with slipshaped Boggi. Why? because the suits I buy are well made.

Boggi is a undiscovered diamond among alot of falling stars in my oppinion. They do well tailored suits and are in my oppinon as high end as Corneliani. Im not just saying that. I wear these suits daily mainly because of my love for fabrics but allso because my job demands me to look top notch every day. The Boggi suits have not teared faster then my Canalis or Cornelianis. This is allso false bullshit. I would never pick a CCcorneliani over a Boggi.

Today most designers have more then one line of clothing. CC corneliani is not the same as Corneliani and Armani Collezioni is not the same as Giorgio Armani. Before comparing you must know all the lines and then learn how to compare the right stuff to each other. Boggi has not presented several lines. This makes their stuff harder to compare and recognize. But still if you know what to look for. You will find high end even at Boggi.

I dont care if you been to 300 countries. This just makes me wonder if you know where your home is? and If you have a family.Learn how to seperate better from good before talking about high end and not high end. Why stuck on such terms. If you ask a english man. English bespoke is the best (especially if worn in a James Bond movie..wow!) Good quality is not England and bad China. Even if todays best suits are made in Italy in my oppinion non of the brands you mentioned would be my first choice if I was rich. But for everyday use with my budget. The Boggis and Canalis and Cornelianis are good enough.

I have one question for you Mr. Know everything.
    Every heard of Brioni or Caraceni?

Do your homework Mr...

8. Dorsoduro

Dorsoduro Member

Mr. Zamsonite, I will humor you by addressing your most elementary comments. Your understanding of what makes a quality suit is at an 8th grade level.
    120 and 150 are marketing terms and done a dozen.
    Not all super 150s are better than super 120.
    There are many factors which determine a quality suit such as not bonded with adhesive, tightly woven fabric, use of horse hair inside and other things such as animal horn buttons in lieu of plastic. This signifies high end.
    If you like your BOGGI because it's affordable, enjoy them but delude yourself into thinking you're wearing a high quality high end suits.
    Brands become known for a reason.
    There is a reason a Bentley costs more than Hyundai.
    Suit brands such Corneliani, Canali and Cucinelli to name a few are of higher quality than BOGGI
    BOGGI is a step above Zara and Massimo Dutti
    I'd say same level as Armani Collezioni not more.
    Actually traveling internationally is the highest form of education and you'd be far more sophisticated if you had been exposed - hence the term Worldly.
    You may not like it but it's a fact that Chinese have invaded Italy and set up factories that make fabric and clothing legally and illegally inside Italy biggest fabric producing region Prato.
    Made in Italy by Chinese hands.
    Little knowledge is dangerous and you have little knowledge.
    Wear what you like and in the USA as badly dressed and unaware as most men are who live in their jeans and T shirts, no one will notice the quality of your suit.
    Heck you can wear a men's wearhouse suit in most America and they think you're going to a wedding.

Your knowledge is basic and elementary.
    Educate yourself before lashing out at others whom are far more sophisticated than yourself.

9. Skanstull

Skanstull Well-Known Member

I just bought two shirts at Boggi Stockholm. They seem to be of good quality with, on me, great fit.

Made in China, of course.

10. Dorsoduro

Dorsoduro Member

Yup. And not all the ones that say Made in Italy on it are necessarily made by Italian craftsmen but by Chinese factories in Italy. Quality is becoming harder and harder to find. I've had BOGGI linen shirts fall apart but they did replace it free of charge.

11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Zamsonite

Zamsonite Member

Dorsoduro: I will meet your comments even though you have once and for all shown that you dont understand what defines quality clothing. First of all a s150 suit is most certain allmost allways finer than a s120 wool suit. There might be exceptions but the whole idea of this measuring is to make it easier for the consumer to understand and appraise the item that he is buying. In my case, I use my fingertips and usually that means no tag is needed to find out if it is a good or poor fabric/quality I am touching.

Placing Boggi in same cathegory as Zara means you have probably never felt the fabrics of a well made italian Boggi suit. For that reason I will not argue more about Boggi with you as is. If you want to bash on brands that you don´t like, I feel sorry for you for having that need. For the same reason I feel sorry for you for thinking that you are more sophisticated then other because you have traveled to 120 something countries. Who would even say something like that?

At first i thought you were english.. now I understand you are american. Ok no problem with that other then that most exclusive suits comes from Europe. That doesnt mean i can´t or dont appreciate what comes from other countries, All suits from the tv show "Suits" from last season are from Canada and they look great. I would buy one for that reason. I love chinese vases or persian rugs. Even if I don´t have any at the moment they most definately would have the same value in my home as a well tailored suit on my body.

Clothing is not politics."I have the biggest and most expensive gun- therefore I am better than you" reasoning just doesn´t work when it comes to clothing :) You can spend a fortune on clothes and still not look good in them, wich is you case I think. Clothing is about taste and personal choice. I tried to explain earlier about the different clothing lines within the same company. CC corneliani is not the same as Corneliani. But if you decided to be hardheaded and just make everything about one brand beeing better or more high end or low end or what ever end ...in comparison to another. I will end that discussion here. Go pick your most expensive suit an SUPERhigh end and atleast be happy about it. I will settle with high-end according to my self (the best expert on what suits me best) not a newspaper.

The big difference between me and you is that I wasn´t born with a silverspoon in my mouth. I have a law degree, am a senior partner and have a lovely home all coming from hard work my friend. I have worn H&M suits at young age because no one knew they was H&M and at that time It was all I could afford.. Today I am fortunate enough to wear fine italian suits. It doesnt make me more sophisticated then my neighbour who is a carpenter or any other humanbeeing who didn´t travel as much as i have or have the same budget. But I guess in the US people brag whenever they travel somewhere, especially when they have everthing what they wanted and really are having a hard time to appreciate what life has given them.

You might think you are more "sophisticated" then others but it is all in your head my friend. The day you wake up and find out you was not really sitting on a high horse and stop counting the amount of horsehair in your suits (Who the hell wants a 100%horse hair suit??) ..then you will be a much better person for your surroundings.

13. Dorsoduro

Dorsoduro Member

Zamsonite, dear Sir, you appear to have made this personal and you have made some wild assumptions which is NOT a sign of an intelligent person. I am not American by birth, I did not win my money in the lottery, I've created my own business from zero and I've delivered pizza for a living when younger and am proud of it.
    Indeed I am sophisticated and that is not something to brag about but it just happens to be a fact.
    When you do travel and are exposed to various cultures, ways of life etc. you will see what a profound difference it will make in a person.
    Being multi-lingual and worldly does make one sophisticated. To an unexposed, unsophisticated person it will mean nothing as a blind man knows not what he's missing.

You will for example learn why cashmere goat wool is more valuable than average New Zealand wool.
    They say one has to be of certain characteristics, mostly unpleasant to be a lawyer and I can see that to be true in your case as you felt the need to put down a person of means then go on to advertise your profession which is looked down upon globally.

I'm done trying to educate you why BOGGI is lower to mid level quality suit and all I can say is when you own a high quality non adhesive bonded horse hair suit you will see the difference and know how wrong you were.

You put down things you don't understand and attack those who have more knowledge about certain subjects.
    Frankly reading your posts I figured you as someone in their 20s judging the lack of sophistication and manner of writing, but apparently you're quite older which is unfortunate.

14. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

Lots of energy is put into this conversation... guys, in my opinion you're actually not too far apart in your views. Do acknowledge some aspects of each other and everything is fine :)

FWIW, I have to confess that I really appreciate Boggi. I think at this price level there is only little competition, especially if you weigh in that Boggi maintains real stores. That being said, I definitely rank the quality as a medium level. Definitely above average, but nowhere near high end stuff. And, I put Corneliani somewhat in the same class. I have a regular line Corneliani suit and it certainly does not look or feel any better than my Boggi suits. These are suits labeled Made in Italy, whereas other Boggi stuff (e.g. shirts, as mentioned earlier) is often made in cheap labour countries.

I am certainly aware that Made in Italy is not always the same and not automatically a proof of good quality. In fact in case of Boggi I would probably even buy into the Chinese workers story. Somewhere the costs have to be cut. Being a positive and slightly naive guy, I however assume that there are no illegal factories involved (and certainly less dubious practices compared to offshore countries). And being a proud European, I like the fact that most of value is created within the EU/Italy. Like I said, just factor the stores, sales staff etc.

So bottom line for me - I can and do highly recommend Boggi as a great value for money option. If someone wants to own highend stuff there are definitely other brands to consider (yes the obvious Kitons and Brionis), but that's a whole different price league. However, the $$$ alone does not guarantee quality and there are certainly more expensive brands out there than Boggi which actually offer an qual or inferior quality.

15. MeachamLake

MeachamLake Senior member

I'll interrupt the bullets flying above to just add my two cents - Boggi is good stuff for the prices you are paying. Unfortunately the suits only seem to come in regular sizes so I'm too tall to fit into them, but they have nice shoes and accessories - nice ties and pocket squares in particular. My dad got a really nice casual rain jacket from there a few years back and it's still going strong - quality is very nice.

The outlet stores are particularly good - there's one about an hour away from me which seems to always have a great selection of stuff at big discounts.