• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bodywork coloured bumpers

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are the worst invention in automotive history.

A couple of days ago I bumped the bumper of my GFs Fiat Panda on a towbar. It is split open slighly with some scratching.

Cost of a new bumper € 56.- (assembly seems dead easy)

Cost of a new bumper including paintjob and assembly, between 5-600 euro.

What are bumpers good for if not withstanding small hardly felt bumps?

The sad thing is, bumpers used to be perfect:

leo_greenaway_mgb.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
1. They look better imho when the whole car design is good.

2. In the U.S. there is a franchise called BumperMan that has developed lower cost tech for repair. One of my brothers owns the Ohio franchise.

Dac

Reaction score
The reason they are fitted is to stop any major component damage with small bumps. BCB's look a million times better than the standard plastic colour. If I did not have BCB's the first thing I would do would be to paint them!

Lesson for future, do not bump your girlfriends Fiat Panda
fing02[1].gif

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
are the worst invention in automotive history.

The sad thing is, bumpers used to be perfect:

leo_greenaway_mgb.jpg

Yet you show a picture of a safety bumper on a later car.
laugh.gif

mgb_1.jpg

For the record are you talking about the bumper cover or the bumper. 2 different things. The picture of the car you are showing has a rubber bumper cover. The rubber part is not the bumper. The metal piece under it is the bumper.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about a bumper, with or without cover, that will not fall to pieces by a slight bump and then cost 5% of the catalogue price of the car to replace

Originally Posted by Dac
The reason they are fitted is to stop any major component damage with small bumps.
Is that also the reason for painting them?

Originally Posted by Dac
Lesson for future, do not bump your girlfriends Fiat Panda
fing02[1].gif

It was all her fault, of course.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are bumpers good for if not withstanding small hardly felt bumps?

They are meant to absorb the impact so other components of the car are not damage as that would have cost a LOT more than you paid. They also absorb the energy of your forward motion thereby reducing the impact to your body as well. If bumpers were hard you would have felt it a lot more and there'd be a lot more dead people in the world.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
They are meant to absorb the impact so other components of the car are not damage as that would have cost a LOT more than you paid. They also absorb the energy of your forward motion thereby reducing the impact to your body as well. If bumpers were hard you would have felt it a lot more and there'd be a lot more dead people in the world.
Again, even if this were true, is this also why they are painted? Bcb are a way to make more money from the person liable for the damage. More money is made with the same car. Let's say assemblage of he bumper is €100, which I seriously doubt, since most of the figure will go to the paintjob, but suppose. Then they upped the costs by 4 times while at the same time making the 1/10 times the cost option virtually impossible. IMO, bcb are stupid, as, I'm sure someone will point out, am I for causing the damage in the first place.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, even if this were true, is this also why they are painted?

Bcb are a way to make more money from the person liable for the damage. More money is made with the same car.

Let's say assemblage of he bumper is €100, which I seriously doubt, since most of the figure will go to the paintjob, but suppose. Then they upped the costs by 4 times while at the same time making the 1/10 times the cost option virtually impossible.

IMO, bcb are stupid, as, I'm sure someone will point out, am I for causing the damage in the first place.

Then, when you crack yours, just go ahead, get a non-matching one and paint it yourself - you can even use that black matte stuff that gives it a rubbery texture. Or send it off and have it chromed. All for a lot less than an OEM one.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Someone did not get my meaning.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Someone did not get my meaning.

You were complaining/whining about matching painted bumpers being a scam to take your money, and I simply said you don't have to buy them.

Not too difficult there.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
You were complaining/whining about matching painted bumpers being a scam to take your money, and I simply said you don't have to buy them.

Not too difficult there.

I do have to buy them, since I bumped someone elses. If it was mine there would be no problem. So you didn't.

Whining is as may be, but I'm right and you're less than polite.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have to buy them, since I bumped someone elses. If it was mine there would be no problem. So you didn't.

Whining is as may be, but I'm right and you're less than polite.

So how would it be different if you bumped into someone's Porsche/exotic. I just don't get the complaining when you are at fault for breaking something expensive. I apologize for the "whining" statement.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, even if this were true, is this also why they are painted?

Bcb are a way to make more money from the person liable for the damage. More money is made with the same car.

Let's say assemblage of he bumper is €100, which I seriously doubt, since most of the figure will go to the paintjob, but suppose. Then they upped the costs by 4 times while at the same time making the 1/10 times the cost option virtually impossible.

IMO, bcb are stupid, as, I'm sure someone will point out, am I for causing the damage in the first place.

Surely it's more a product of current automotive design evolution than function. I highly doubt that there are any conspiratorial intentions to steal extra money from you involved in the decision to paint the bumper.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like them, though I hate the look of modern cars.

My old car had an old fashioned metal bumper,
I got rear-ended hard,
didn't even leave a scratch.

In my new car,
I was rear-ended softly
$2000 damage.

Dac

Reaction score
The whole reason is because BCB's look a million times better, as these illustrations show;

Boring, poverty spec Fiat Panda
FIAT-Panda-Cream-400.jpg

Higher spec, MUCH better looking Fiat Panda;
Fiat_Panda_14.jpg

Next you will be complaining that cars have any paint at all since people could just scratch it and the illuminati would be able to control the world via bodyshops. JOKE!
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads