• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bodywork coloured bumpers

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
5,089
Reaction score
201
are the worst invention in automotive history.

A couple of days ago I bumped the bumper of my GFs Fiat Panda on a towbar. It is split open slighly with some scratching.

Cost of a new bumper € 56.- (assembly seems dead easy)

Cost of a new bumper including paintjob and assembly, between 5-600 euro.

What are bumpers good for if not withstanding small hardly felt bumps?

The sad thing is, bumpers used to be perfect:

 

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
32,420
Reaction score
261
1. They look better imho when the whole car design is good.

2. In the U.S. there is a franchise called BumperMan that has developed lower cost tech for repair. One of my brothers owns the Ohio franchise.
 

Dac

Active Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
The reason they are fitted is to stop any major component damage with small bumps. BCB's look a million times better than the standard plastic colour. If I did not have BCB's the first thing I would do would be to paint them!

Lesson for future, do not bump your girlfriends Fiat Panda
 

turboman808

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by CDFS
are the worst invention in automotive history.

The sad thing is, bumpers used to be perfect:



Yet you show a picture of a safety bumper on a later car.





For the record are you talking about the bumper cover or the bumper. 2 different things. The picture of the car you are showing has a rubber bumper cover. The rubber part is not the bumper. The metal piece under it is the bumper.
 

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
5,089
Reaction score
201
I'm talking about a bumper, with or without cover, that will not fall to pieces by a slight bump and then cost 5% of the catalogue price of the car to replace

Originally Posted by Dac
The reason they are fitted is to stop any major component damage with small bumps.
Is that also the reason for painting them?

Originally Posted by Dac
Lesson for future, do not bump your girlfriends Fiat Panda


It was all her fault, of course.
 

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
1,012
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by CDFS
What are bumpers good for if not withstanding small hardly felt bumps?

They are meant to absorb the impact so other components of the car are not damage as that would have cost a LOT more than you paid. They also absorb the energy of your forward motion thereby reducing the impact to your body as well. If bumpers were hard you would have felt it a lot more and there'd be a lot more dead people in the world.
 

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
5,089
Reaction score
201
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
They are meant to absorb the impact so other components of the car are not damage as that would have cost a LOT more than you paid. They also absorb the energy of your forward motion thereby reducing the impact to your body as well. If bumpers were hard you would have felt it a lot more and there'd be a lot more dead people in the world.
Again, even if this were true, is this also why they are painted? Bcb are a way to make more money from the person liable for the damage. More money is made with the same car. Let's say assemblage of he bumper is €100, which I seriously doubt, since most of the figure will go to the paintjob, but suppose. Then they upped the costs by 4 times while at the same time making the 1/10 times the cost option virtually impossible. IMO, bcb are stupid, as, I'm sure someone will point out, am I for causing the damage in the first place.
 

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
201
Originally Posted by CDFS
Again, even if this were true, is this also why they are painted?

Bcb are a way to make more money from the person liable for the damage. More money is made with the same car.

Let's say assemblage of he bumper is €100, which I seriously doubt, since most of the figure will go to the paintjob, but suppose. Then they upped the costs by 4 times while at the same time making the 1/10 times the cost option virtually impossible.

IMO, bcb are stupid, as, I'm sure someone will point out, am I for causing the damage in the first place.


Then, when you crack yours, just go ahead, get a non-matching one and paint it yourself - you can even use that black matte stuff that gives it a rubbery texture. Or send it off and have it chromed. All for a lot less than an OEM one.
 

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
5,089
Reaction score
201
^Someone did not get my meaning.
 

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
201
Originally Posted by CDFS
^Someone did not get my meaning.

You were complaining/whining about matching painted bumpers being a scam to take your money, and I simply said you don't have to buy them.

Not too difficult there.
 

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
5,089
Reaction score
201
Originally Posted by akatsuki
You were complaining/whining about matching painted bumpers being a scam to take your money, and I simply said you don't have to buy them.

Not too difficult there.


I do have to buy them, since I bumped someone elses. If it was mine there would be no problem. So you didn't.

Whining is as may be, but I'm right and you're less than polite.
 

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
2,662
Reaction score
201
Originally Posted by CDFS
I do have to buy them, since I bumped someone elses. If it was mine there would be no problem. So you didn't.

Whining is as may be, but I'm right and you're less than polite.


So how would it be different if you bumped into someone's Porsche/exotic. I just don't get the complaining when you are at fault for breaking something expensive. I apologize for the "whining" statement.
 

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
1,012
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by CDFS
Again, even if this were true, is this also why they are painted?

Bcb are a way to make more money from the person liable for the damage. More money is made with the same car.

Let's say assemblage of he bumper is €100, which I seriously doubt, since most of the figure will go to the paintjob, but suppose. Then they upped the costs by 4 times while at the same time making the 1/10 times the cost option virtually impossible.

IMO, bcb are stupid, as, I'm sure someone will point out, am I for causing the damage in the first place.


Surely it's more a product of current automotive design evolution than function. I highly doubt that there are any conspiratorial intentions to steal extra money from you involved in the decision to paint the bumper.
 

ruben

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
1,645
Reaction score
27
I don't like them, though I hate the look of modern cars.

My old car had an old fashioned metal bumper,
I got rear-ended hard,
didn't even leave a scratch.

In my new car,
I was rear-ended softly
$2000 damage.
 

Dac

Active Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
The whole reason is because BCB's look a million times better, as these illustrations show;

Boring, poverty spec Fiat Panda

Higher spec, MUCH better looking Fiat Panda;


Next you will be complaining that cars have any paint at all since people could just scratch it and the illuminati would be able to control the world via bodyshops. JOKE!
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
448,876
Messages
9,714,950
Members
202,798
Latest member
ModernMenswear
Top