• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Body wash as alternative to cologne....

jasonwhite

Reaction score
I quite like the all-over scent I get with some of the stronger body washes - anyone use it as an alternative to cologne? If so, what brands?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started using a cheap bodywash from target in a pinch, and my girlfriend loves it. I don't like the hassle of cologne, so this works really well for me.

I'd also appreciate recs of some nicer brands so I can upgrade.

Lucky7

Reaction score
I almost always use Dove unscented soap with a wash cloth, however I picked up some body wash in a pinch from Target as well..and my girlfriend absolutely loves it...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what body wash leaves a lingering smell like cologne? None that I know of

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Body wash is body wash; cologne/perfume is perfume. One of them is meant to be a cleaner and has a tiny amount of fragrance oil in it. The other is made to project and be a fragrance to WEAR.

There are lots of companies that make good body washes, but you shouldn't really look to them as alternatives to cologne. It's like saying a sweatshirt is a good alternative to a suit because both cover up your nakedness.

Molton Brown, Cornelia (a spa in NYC), and Antica Pharmacista all make nice Body Washes. You can also get body washes made by various Design houses to go with their perfume (the YSL M7 Body wash is REALLY super... if you can find it).

KBW

Reaction score
My L'Occitane body wash keeps its smell for the good portion of the day

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys do to balance all of the items that have fragrance i.e. shampoo, aftershave, shaving cream, body wash, deodorant, cologne?

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's easy - I use unscented versions of everything except the cologne. There's nothing I hate more than weird scents mixed together.
Girls often do this to a fault - rose-scented shampoo, chocolate bodywash, musky perfume, soapy deodorant - all my nose can detect is a sickeningly sweet smell. Fortunately guys' stuff doesn't smell quite as strong. Usually the olfactory offenders of our gender just bathe in Axe Bodyspray or some such.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
That's easy - I use unscented versions of everything except the cologne. There's nothing I hate more than weird scents mixed together.
Girls often do this to a fault - rose-scented shampoo, chocolate bodywash, musky perfume, soapy deodorant - all my nose can detect is a sickeningly sweet smell. Fortunately guys' stuff doesn't smell quite as strong. Usually the olfactory offenders of our gender just bathe in Axe Bodyspray or some such.

+100

As you said, keep everything unscented other than what you want your primary scent to be. If your body wash (by itself), smells nice, your cologne smells nice, and your deodorant smells nice, that DOESN'T mean that they will therefore all smell good together.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40