• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Body vs. Suit Style

Stu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
2,351
Reaction score
13
I was looking at a picture of myself that I took to send to Chan for use in future suits, for them to use as a guide for tweaks and stuff. On my Chan suit there is not a lot of padding in the shoulders. I have rather fat cheeks -- I'm not a fat guy, say 5' 10" - 5' 11" and about 175-180 lbs. But I've always had fat cheeks. Anyway, what stood out in the pictures was that my head looks freaking huge in proportion to my shoulders and chest, kind of like a cement block perched atop a pencil. I'm wondering if Brioni style shoulders would work better for my body style to put my chest and shoulders more in proportion to my fat head.

As an aside, my Canali suits don't do this. Are Canali suits cut in more of a Roman style a la Brioni?
 

horton

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
654
Reaction score
2
i'd consider slightly on the wider side suit lapels and more spread on shirt collars, perhaps.
 

Stu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
2,351
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by horton
i'd consider slightly on the wider side suit lapels and more spread on shirt collars, perhaps.


The spread on the shirt collars makes it look worse. THe most I can get away with is something like the "simi" sic spread collar jantzen has as its No. 3 style. more than that just nakes my face wider. But the problem is not in the shirts. They look fine.
 

tiger02

Militarist
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
3,799
Reaction score
2
Canali has similar shoulders to Brioni, with less of the extreme waistedness. So yes, if you like the way your head looks in Canali, then the stronger shoulder is probably going to be good for you. The Sartorialist shot something along the lines of "the benefits of a strong shoulder" a couple of months back, you might want to take a look. His point in the composition was balancing a relatively large midriff, but the point still stands.

Tom
 

Stu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
2,351
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by tiger02
Canali has similar shoulders to Brioni, with less of the extreme waistedness. So yes, if you like the way your head looks in Canali, then the stronger shoulder is probably going to be good for you. The Sartorialist shot something along the lines of "the benefits of a strong shoulder" a couple of months back, you might want to take a look. His point in the composition was balancing a relatively large midriff, but the point still stands.

Tom


Tiger I'm glad you mentioned the part about lesser waist supression. My Canali suit jackets have, to go with the stronger shoulders, lesser waist suppression, and that just looks better on me. Next Chan I do is gonna have stronger Roman shoulders and lesser waist suppression.

Anyone know if Patrick does that kind of suit passably? He might grumble a bit about it.
 

dah328

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
110
Whoopee posted pics of a double-breasted suit Chan made for him that was a significant departure from their house style although I don't know that I would consider it Roman.
 

Stu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
2,351
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by dah328
Whoopee posted pics of a double-breasted suit Chan made for him that was a significant departure from their house style although I don't know that I would consider it Roman.

If I recall, Whoopee's suit had some extreme waist supression. Looked good on him, but don't think it would work on me, because I'm a bit chunkier.
 

dah328

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
110
Yeah, I was mentioning it more as an example of a Chan suit that was a significant departure from their house style. I'm considering asking them to make some significant silhouette changes for my next suit, so it's of interest to me, too.
 

thinman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,926
Reaction score
43
Originally Posted by dah328
Yeah, I was mentioning it more as an example of a Chan suit that was a significant departure from their house style. I'm considering asking them to make some significant silhouette changes for my next suit, so it's of interest to me, too.

I meet with Patrick on July 19 and I also plan to ask him for a silhouette different from their house style, which I got with my first suit. I really like Brioni, but don't know if they can do it. I think I'll wear my Oxxford Crest and ask if they can replicate that look. I like the roped sleevehead, but the silhouette is not so distinct as Brioni.
 

dah328

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2003
Messages
4,603
Reaction score
110
Let us know how it works out. I will probably wait until their next trip because I'm still deciding on the silhouette I want.

dan
 

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Canali's shoulder is pretty heavily padded. I think that is that you're looking for.
 

thinman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
4,926
Reaction score
43
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Canali's shoulder is pretty heavily padded. I think that is that you're looking for.

I agree. In my experience, most Canali suits have fairly heavy shoulder padding and, most importantly for Stu, shoulders that extend slightly beyond the deltoid. This will broaden the shoulders and give a more balanced look to a man with a larger head.

Edit: AFAIK, Canali suits are a Milanese silhouette, not quite Roman, not quite Neapolitan.
 

Stu

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
2,351
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by thinman
AFAIK, Canali suits are a Milanese silhouette, not quite Roman, not quite Neapolitan.


Sort of a happy medium? That sounds good. I've worn Canali for years and love the way they fit me. Some time I'll try a Brioni, which I'm sure would look good too.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 9.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,684
Messages
9,222,143
Members
193,593
Latest member
jamesbuttler
Top