1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Body Piercing: Out of Style?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by otterhound, Aug 28, 2006.

1. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

I'm seeing fewer pierced folks running around these days. Has it gone out of fashion?

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I had this thought once and started to do some research. After learning about more pierced genitalia than I ever want to think about, I would say, not really. The tide seems to have shifted towards less conspicuous piercings.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

In montreal I seem to see more and more people with weird piercings. I personally find it disgusting. I never used to see this stuff a couple years ago. The worst are those metal rings that people stick in their ears that hold open a hole the size of a dime. Wtf are they thinking?

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Those have been around for a while. I agree, very disgusting.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Wait till they have internal body part piercings.... "dude, I pierced my spleen!"

Jon.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Wait till they have internal body part piercings.... "dude, I pierced my spleen!"

Jon.

[​IMG]

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

It seems that more of the girls I hook up with these days have nipple rings or C-rings, as compared to the girls 2-3 years ago.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

It seems that more of the girls I hook up with these days have nipple rings or C-rings, as compared to the girls 2-3 years ago.

Agreed.

9. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

I don't think it is "out", but I find it disgusting anyway. I recently heard a statistic that 1/3 of Americans under 35 (or maybe it was 45, I can't find the article) have a tattoo. I suspect piercing statistics are not particularily far behind that of tattoos.

Additionally, I think it still carries a "punk" or "badass" connotation, unless the piercing is the ears, and that is don't an image I'd like to protray, at least not will something that was far more permanent than a piece of clothing.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Both of those are ok (granted, they have to take that shit when they get married and have children), its other things that I really can't stand: lip piercings, any major ear modification (like the aforementioned stretching of the ears), any piercing of any part of the forehead / eyelid, piercing behind the neck, etc...

Jon.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I don't think it is "out", but I find it disgusting anyway. I recently heard a statistic that 1/3 of Americans under 35 (or maybe it was 45, I can't find the article) have a tattoo. I suspect piercing statistics are not particularily far behind that of tattoos. Additionally, I think it still carries a "punk" or "badass" connotation, unless the piercing is the ears, and that is don't an image I'd like to protray, at least not will something that was far more permanent than a piece of clothing.
    I think that’s more retarded than piercings, which with a good plastic surgeon can at least be relatively well removed. Whereas removed tattoos are never really removed…the outline is still there. Criticize me all you want for spending $300 on sneakers…at least at the end of the day I can take the sneakers off, I can’t say the same about a tattoo. Jon. Plus, the conation involved with tattoos (pirates, the mark of Cain, concentration camps) is in my mind, horrific.

12. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

I'm seeing fewer pierced folks running around these days. Has it gone out of fashion?
    Huh. I guess I'm just not getting out much.[​IMG]

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Scared to death of those people, with the piercings and the tats.

Unless I'm at a 5-K race. Then I know the tattooed, pierced people are generally triathletes and I can count on dropping them at the start and not seeing them again. [​IMG]

14. mattjames

mattjames Senior member

Never in as far as I'm concerned.

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I suppose by the time you get them naked you deal with it but I generally find it a complete turn-off. Thankfully I haven't encountered any yet.

16. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I find piercings very gross. if people have multiple piercings in places other than the ears, I have problems eating and focusing on other tasks. It's terrible of me but I guess that's how it is.

17. Charley

Charley Senior member

These seem to be as popular as ever among the employees of the several pump-n-shop gas stations I've been in lately. The multicolored spiked parrot hair does seem to be less popular though.

18. javyn

javyn Senior member

I think it is still in style, but still incredibly stupid. The 'in' thing now I've seen is people branding themselves. I still wonder what they are going to do when they 'grow up' and decide to get real jobs. I don't think many employers are going to be willing to hire someone for a say, corporate job who has a bunch of metal shit all over their face.

19. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

I think it is still in style, but still incredibly stupid. The 'in' thing now I've seen is people branding themselves. I still wonder what they are going to do when they 'grow up' and decide to get real jobs. I don't think many employers are going to be willing to hire someone for a say, corporate job who has a bunch of metal shit all over their face.

The de-evolution of humanity.

20. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

The worst is you find yourself talking to a perfectly attractive girl and wondering why the hell they put that stuff on their face -they were good looking to begin with.