• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Body of Lies

Mauby

Reaction score
Anyone see Body of Lies yet? Worth seeing? Black Hawk Down is one of my all-time faves. Ridley Scott can sometimes be hit or miss.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one isn't really a hit or miss...kinda middle of the road for Ridley Scott, as well as for both of the lead actors. The marketing campaign run for this movie is kind of misleading...worth seeing if you have nothing better to do, but it's not exactly a MUST SEE. I thought for this kinda movie, Syriana was much more complex and well-executed.

Matt B

Reaction score
Syriana was a better movie overall, but I think most people will certainly feel that they got their money's worth. My wife and I saw it last night and really enjoyed it, despite a few holes in the plot. And I don't care what people say, Leonardo diCaprio is an excellent actor. He really does a good job. Similar strength of performance to Blood Diamond.

Mauby

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen. I will have to check it out at some point. Admittedly, I wasn't a DiCaprio fan early on. I thought he was ok in Gangs of New York. Then when I saw Catch Me if you Can, I thought...the kid can act. He could have won on Oscar for The Aviator, The Departed, or The Blood Diamond in my opinion. Russell Crowe has never phoned in a performance. He fluctuates between solid and great. He definitely has a few anger issues, but c'mon, who hasn't wanted to hurl a phone at a hotel desk clerk at one time?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you're a fan of the "usual" Russell Crowe you may be surprised by his turn in this one..it's a bit more nuanced. DiCaprio has always been a good actor, but there are moments in this where his brooding turns into overacting and isn't really uncharted territory (i.e. The Departed)...in particular his final encounter with the sheikh is very standard 'Hollywood' fare.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw it last night and agree completely with FtB. It's worth seeing, but nothing spectacular.

That being said, I WAS really surprised by Crowe and it really shows his talent as an actor. Watching his role as the hunky hero in Gladiator... then this one... is really refreshing and shows just what he can do.

The ending was typical lame Hollywood deus ex machina.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just came back from seeing it. I thought it was good with some great parts. I would give it a B+ overall.

aleeboy

Reaction score
saw it last week. Exciting story line couple with a very well dresses Jordanian.

Action + style. What more could you want?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not great, but definitely worth watching for DiCaprio and Crowe. If you doubt DiCaprio's talent, take a look at an oldie, What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, but didn't it flop at the box office? I was pretty surprised at how little publicity it got considering the quality of talent in the movie.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
If you doubt DiCaprio's talent, take a look at an oldie, What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

The first time I heard of DiCaprio was in Titanic and I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. He turned out to be quite a good actor IMO and I have been quite impressed with his work.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: DiCaprio's acting.

Please watch:

This Boy's Life
Marvin's Room
Basketball Diaries
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Those movies will show you just how well he can act. All of them are great films with other famous actors (DeNiro, Whalberg, Streep, Keaton, Depp) for you to compare them to. He could act long before he was used in Titanic.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I watched it last night. It was enjoyable. The iranian girl was cute. Reminded me of an iranian TA i dated once. Hani was dressed great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads