1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Body modification - I don't get it (NSFW)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zjpj83, Jul 12, 2007.

1. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'm wary of looking at those links.

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Nice to know you're a mindreader[​IMG] Can you channel me some good stock quotes as well?

What exactly did I misread?

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm wary of looking at those links.

I just ate lunch. Not sure why I clicked this topic, now that I think of it.

5. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

What exactly did I misread?

Their motivations.

...the actual personal motivation, whether or not they acknowledged it, was to acheive some sort of transcendent trance-like state.

You can't know this, and to assert that you can is inane. Hence the "mindreader" comment.

6. ken

ken Senior member

I've got a few exotic piercings and have done a ritual suicide suspension, and the one thing I've learned from it all is that the more you incorporate yourself into the lifestyle, the more normal the lifestyle seems. Sometimes I forget how freaked out my friends will get when I show them pictures of things I consider somewhat pedestrian.

7. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

8. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Their motivations.

You can't know this, and to assert that you can is inane. Hence the "mindreader" comment.

You can't know it, but you might be able to establish the probability of it being true using some psychological analysis. Just as inane is to take source documents at face value.

Does the idea that saints might be more human than they make themselves out to be offend or surprise you?

9. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Just as inane is to take source documents at face value.

Somewhat less so than to ignore same and ascribe a motivation based on one's own predilictions. You really can't psychoanalize someone you've never met. To try to is just silly.

A reading of the lives of any one of them shows them to be quite human and full of faults- there's no need to fabricate any.

10. NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP

NYC EXCLUSIVE SHOP Senior member

This little fella appears to have had some plastic surgery.

This fellow is a cyborg from the planet "INEEDATTENTION" and will be departing back to his planet next week.
    [​IMG]

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Thousands of different cultures throughout human history.

Remember that what is "sick" to you, is normal to others, and vice-versa. Lets try to be a little more tolerant eh?

Tolerance is overrated.

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Tolerance is overrated.

Shut up nerd. When I want your opinion, I'll get it from your mother.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Some people are just sick. SICK!!!! (NSFW)

14. bkrstic

bkrstic Senior member

Some people are just sick. SICK!!!! (NSFW)

AAAAARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH

*in the corner crying*

*sob*
    *sob*
    *sob*

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Shut up nerd. When I want your opinion, I'll get it from your mother.

my mother is on welfare, being treated for cancer, and living with her sister.

16. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

my mother is on welfare, being treated for cancer, and living with her sister.

Are we related?

17. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

There are also people who willingly go through crucifiction too.

Indeed. To wit:

[​IMG]

18. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

A rather bizarre interpretation to say the least- well, I really can't expect more from art historians trying to play at being theologians. [​IMG] Reading her book "The Interior Castle" would be more instructive. http://www.amazon.com/Interior-Castl...4296640&sr=8-4
    lol @ anyone saying it is bizarre to think that Bernini's St. Theresa group has sexual elements This is definitely the mainstream art historical interpretation (and art history is a fairly conservative field when it comes to pre-modern work). [​IMG] Look at where the angel is pointing that arrow. It's definitely not pointed at her heart (hold a ruler or a piece of paper up to your screen to check the angle). You may also want to examine the positioning of her toes and the fingers on her left hand. Check out this slightly larger photograph for a view of St. Theresa's left hand, and maybe also the odd grip of the angel's left hand: http://www.spauda.lt/bible/saints/teresa/bernini.jpg

19. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

lol @ anyone saying it is bizarre to think that Bernini's St. Theresa group has sexual elements

This is definitely the mainstream art historical interpretation (and art history is a fairly conservative field when it comes to pre-modern work).

[​IMG]

Look at where the angel is pointing that arrow. It's definitely not pointed at her heart (hold a ruler or a piece of paper up to your screen to check the angle).

You may also want to examine the positioning of her toes and the fingers on her left hand.

Check out this slightly larger photograph for a view of St. Theresa's left hand, and maybe also the odd grip of the angel's left hand: http://www.spauda.lt/bible/saints/teresa/bernini.jpg

Well, we were talking about Theresa,not Bernini; and you really need to get a girlfriend. [​IMG]

20. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Are we related?

Unlike you, I'm not yellow. [​IMG]