Body modification - I don't get it (NSFW)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zjpj83, Jul 12, 2007.

1. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

As I read, it was also to enter into an ecstatic state which some of those saints were so keen on. Violent "transcendence" seemed to have been a recurrent theme in traditional Catholicism.

Really? and where did you read this?

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Really? and where did you read this?
    Here and there. I'm sure there are numerous academic books on this subject. Look at the well-known example of St.Theresa.

3. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Here and there. I'm sure there are numerous academic books on this subject.

Look at the well-known example of St.Theresa.

I've read her and she doesn't speak of corporal mortification ( the correct term for this ) to reach an "ecstatic state". As the purposes of corporal mortification are to
    practice control of the will over the passions, unite onesself to the sufferings of christ by experiencing them or to atone for sins, ( standard catholic theology per Theresa of Avila); I'm really curious as to where "here and there" you've seen this.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've read her and she doesn't speak of corporal mortification ( the correct term for this ) to reach an "ecstatic state". As the purposes of corporal mortification are to practice control of the will over the passions, unite onesself to the sufferings of christ by experiencing them or to atone for sins, ( standard catholic theology); I'm really curious as to where "here and there" you've seen this.
    Now, I've never read the works of St.Theresa so I am only familiar with her in a general manner. However, I must confess that I wasn't very clear in my initial statements. In my first statement, I didn't mean St.Theresa specifically, but that whipping oneself is for some, to enter a spiritual state as exemplified by the various Catholic saints; no doubt, there is some degree of sacrifice present. Also, I didn't suggest that St.Theresa practiced "corporal mortification" but that her visionary paths to ecstasy, transcendence and mysticism were, in my opinion, intrinsically connected with violence. For example, the famed lance through the heart, apparently causing some sort of sweet spiritual and physical pain. If that doesn't have elements of sado-masochism, I don't know what does.

5. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

For example, the famed lance through the heart, apparently causing some sort of sweet spiritual and physical pain. If that doesn't have elements of sado-masochism, I don't know what does.

The allusion is to a vision she had of an angel's lance piercing her heart. How this relates to sado-masochism seems like a really big stretch.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The allusion is to a vision she had of an angel's lance piercing her heart. How this relates to sado-masochism seems like a really big stretch.
    There have been many art-historians who have linked the depiction of St.Theresa, namely the Bernini version, to a sexual masochism, which I suppose is a rather redundant phrase. I confess this doesn't necessarily explain the actual visions themselves but so far as esthetics go, there it is.

7. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

There have been many art-historians who have linked the depiction of St.Theresa, namely the Bernini version, to a sexual masochism, which I suppose is a rather redundant phrase.

I confess this doesn't necessarily explain the actual visions themselves but so far as esthetics go, there it is.

A rather bizarre interpretation to say the least- well, I really can't expect more from art historians trying to play at being theologians. [​IMG]

Reading her book "The Interior Castle" would be more instructive.

http://www.amazon.com/Interior-Castl...4296640&sr=8-4

8. evilgeniusdan

evilgeniusdan Senior member

If I had to modify my body, I'd put in some cool shit like lasers that emitted from my nipples. None of that "mutilate face with protruding shiny objects" nonsense.

9. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

These types of procedures are no different than breast implants or penile enlargements, and likely involve components of vanity, insecurity and retardism. The only difference is, enhancing sexual organs is something we're willing to accept. Regardless, the girl with the size G breast implants still looks as freakish as the man with the split tongue and the tattooed lizard skin.

10. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Some people are just sick. who would want to do stuff like this to their own body?

11. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

These types of procedures are no different than breast implants or penile enlargements, and likely involve components of vanity, insecurity and retardism. The only difference is, enhancing sexual organs is something we're willing to accept. Regardless, the girl with the size G breast implants still looks as freakish as the man with the split tongue and the tattooed lizard skin.

+1

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Actually, it's not a preposterous question. It goes too far to say that a lot of Catholics do it, but some do, for instance, in the Philippines.

But of course Shia pilgrims are much more committed to the practice.

Don't really know how this actually save souls, but [​IMG] hardcore!!! We even have Americans joining in these past few years.

[​IMG]

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Some people are just sick. who would want to do stuff like this to their own body?
    Thousands of different cultures throughout human history. Remember that what is "sick" to you, is normal to others, and vice-versa. Lets try to be a little more tolerant eh?

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

While the other factors might be relevant, I doubt most people who get body modifications are retarded.

15. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

Tattoos are just a poor man's way of investing in art

Everyone knows that in the year 3000 the only fine art people will want to see will be tattooed on a fat man's body