• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Body comp/BMR test

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the most accurate way to ascertain this? I know they offer it at many gyms but I hear that isn't accurate.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
What is the most accurate way to ascertain this? I know they offer it at many gyms but I hear that isn't accurate.

DEXA scan

AndyMcL

Reaction score
The most accurate way to measure body composition will be by underwater weighing. However, that's a little harder to gain access to so if you're serious about it your best bets are either a DEXA scan or BodPod.

Calipers and handheld/scale units (stuff they might have in a gym) have a pretty big margin of error.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And what about metabolic rate?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
BodPod also does resting metabolic rate I think. However, in my experience the Bod Pod was actually the least accurate of all the tests I had done. DEXA would be the one to go with if you're white (it's calibrated for ethnically white bone densities IIRC) or hydrostatic weighing, which I still think is the most foolproof.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
And what about metabolic rate?

Most accurate method is probably going to be direct calorimetry where you put someone in a chamber and measure energy as the amount of heat released.

The most common method is probably going to be some kind of indirect calorimetry, which measures oxygen consumption, which can then be used to calculate caloric expenditure. There are various devices out there that can take pretty accurate measurements. Keep in mind you have to follow a strict protocol to get true BMR (including taking measurements shortly after waking, after an overnight fast). If they offer it at your gym it is probably not truly BMR, but resting metabolic rate.

The following device was being marketed pretty heavily to gyms to measure RMR and it's pretty easy to use. I'm not sure on the accuracy. There use to be a bunch on ebay that were pretty cheap when the company went under (before someone bought it out and released it again).
http://metabolicratetest.com/

AndyMcL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
BodPod also does resting metabolic rate I think. However, in my experience the Bod Pod was actually the least accurate of all the tests I had done. DEXA would be the one to go with if you're white (it's calibrated for ethnically white bone densities IIRC) or hydrostatic weighing, which I still think is the most foolproof.
The BodPod I used didn't do it, but there probably are versions that do. For me it was also less accurate, but I think it depends on the person. With really lean individuals it tends to underestimate (told me I had 3.7%BF) while DEXA said I was around 7%. I'm skinny, but not pro-body builder skinny. As for metabolic rate, like gradstudent said the most accurate way involves measuring the actual heat your body generates, however that's a much more expensive way to do it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm curious about the answer to a slightly different question - what is the most accurate test for someone who wants to conveniently do it in his own home? assume i'm willing to pay a reasonable price for the home equipment?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
i'm curious about the answer to a slightly different question - what is the most accurate test for someone who wants to conveniently do it in his own home? assume i'm willing to pay a reasonable price for the home equipment?

For body composition:
For an individual with little training and doing it by themselves, probably some kind of high end bioelectrical impedance, something like this (this is for example, there may be better machines out there, I'm not familar enough with the variety of BIA devices to truly recommend one high end BIA device over another):
http://www.bodycompscale.com/bcs_3_details.shtml
Notice the price is $3,895.00.

However, your still sacrificing accuracy for convenience and for the cost your probably better off getting it tested somewhere by a more accurate means.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigasahouse
Does anyone offer that for your average person?
Gastric bypass clinics often have them. Since many bypass surgeons are solely interested in money, just pay the price and they'll give you a ticket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads