• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boat Shoes - Sperry Topsiders FAQ

HarrisonK

Reaction score
I've searched the forums a little but haven't found anything on the different ways to wear Sperrys. I thought I'd ask a few questions and get everyone's opinions here.

How should I wear Sperry's authentic original leather shoe and they're suede shoe this time of year? Typically I wear both pairs with socks, but I'm seeing pictures online of people wearing these shoes sockless. Is it okay to go sockless in the winter? If I go sockless in the winter should I stick to the suede pair since they seem 'warmer'?

Now in the summer, is it acceptable to wear suede boat shoes with no socks, or is suede more of a winter material?

I'd like to make this thread an 'official' boat shoe thread so if anyone else has any questions about how to properly wear boat shoes, please ask here.

danilo

Reaction score
There is an official sperry or boat shoe thread somewhere, if you would have searched. It's pretty simple, if it's warm enough where you live to walk around without socks, by all means. If it's cold where you live you will look and eventually feel like an idiot walking around without socks. Like, if it's cold outside, do you wear a tanktop because you've seen pictures online of people wearing tanktops the very same day? There are different climates around the world.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
There is an official sperry or boat shoe thread somewhere, if you would have searched.

It's pretty simple, if it's warm enough where you live to walk around without socks, by all means.

If it's cold where you live you will look and eventually feel like an idiot walking around without socks.

Like, if it's cold outside, do you wear a tanktop because you've seen pictures online of people wearing tanktops the very same day? There are different climates around the world.

I thank you and appreciate your quick response but that part of your statement I have put in bold front is entirely incorrect. I don't see ads for people walking around sub freezing and snowy climates in tank tops, although I do see ads for people walking around NYC in a sweater, heavy coat, scarf, and boat shoes with no socks.

ebb

Reaction score
It's just a matter of personal preference. I think that good style is the successful combination of practicality and fashion, so I only go sockless when it's warm outside. To me, going sockless in warm weather makes it look like you're trying too hard, because it's incredibly obvious that you're sacrificing practicality for fashion. When you do go sockless, though, loafer socks are a good way to keep your shoes from smelling badly after a while.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarrisonK
I thank you and appreciate your quick response but that part of your statement I have put in bold front is entirely incorrect. I don't see ads for people walking around sub freezing and snowy climates in tank tops, although I do see ads for people walking around NYC in a sweater, heavy coat, scarf, and boat shoes with no socks.

Can you please post images of such ads?

Are you sure you were not drowsy with the fumes of Bacchus or worse while viewing these advertisements?

rabidawg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarrisonK
I'd like to make this thread an 'official' boat shoe thread so if anyone else has any questions about how to properly wear boat shoes, please ask here.

Lurk moar noob.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebb
Not an ad, but I've seen "sockless" (looks like he is wearing short socks) on Sart in seemingly cold weather at least once. http://www.thesartorialist.com/photo...to_6758Web.jpg
Those aren't boat shoes, let alone Sperry Topsiders. That is not winter in New York city. That is not even New York City. That is Milano....Via Senato. That is not a winter shot. That is September or April/May in Milano....it is at least 65-70.

Harbin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ebb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
Those aren't boat shoes, let alone Sperry Topsiders.

That is not winter in New York city. That is not even New York City. That is Milano....Via Senato.

That is not a winter shot. That is September or April/May in Milano....it is at least 65-70.

I know they're not boat shoes - I was merely trying to show a sockless look that included cold weather elements. I was under the impression that it was late October. If it really is 65-70 degrees, I'm not entirely sure what a wool peacoat is doing draped over his shoulders. Regardless, you're right in that it certainly isn't the dead of winter.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebb
I know they're not boat shoes - I was merely trying to show a sockless look that included cold weather elements. I was under the impression that it was late October. If it really is 65-70 degrees, I'm not entirely sure what a wool peacoat is doing draped over his shoulders. Regardless, you're right in that it certainly isn't the dead of winter.

Dude....my father's side is Italian...I have spent time with my uncle, aunt and cousins there.....in APril and May, in Southern Italy, gentlemen parade around with cashmere overcoats draped over there shoulders, while holding hands....father and son, two best friends....if they tried that here, they would be lynched by the God-hates-**** fucknuts.......

It's definitely not a winter scene.....if you try wearing boat shoes in manhattan today or tomorrow....I hope you have health insurance for the pneumonia medicationantibiotics....

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
+ 1 ******* million.

justin bieber isnt allowed on styleforum

i, of course, would be citing jet as inspiration on this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics