• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boat shoes - socks or no socks?

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wear boat shoes without socks.

hellodocks

Reaction score
As someone else said on a different site, "Anytime I see someone wearing boat shoes with socks, I want to go up and punch them in the face."

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah no socks is the way to go, shave your feet.

CalSatSea

Reaction score
Boat shoes are to be worn without socks. Purchase the real Topsiders. They are all leather and breathe much better. I've worn the cheap boat shoes before. Cheap boat shoes made my feet really sweat and stink over time. I ended up wearing the so called "no-show" socks for awhile myself when wearing the cheap version of a boat shoe. The sweating was uncomfortable.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha I tried this move (w sock) on a nice new grey/blue Sperry with a navy blazer and khaki this very friday. Largely in the absence of these

In short: don't do it. My mangled attempt at some kind of sunny Judge Smails yachting nautical thing belied the fact that I neither owned a boat nor had bought a killer pair of proper leather loafers. Also, our office is nowhere near a marina
LOL

*with a plain blue or grey sock you MAY be able to pull it off -if you're rolling sans jacket.- Of course, the shoe is meant for no-sock and looks best this way...but now you're not wearing socks at work, which is its own thread....

Basil Ecurie

Reaction score

See no socks. They are Timberland boat shoes, good leather recommended to wear sockless by maker. I got my first pair of these same boat shoes to wear at college as they were recommended, no socks. They gave very secure walking on the very shinny floors although the rubber soles were noisy, everybody could hear you coming to class, no problem.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear chunky donegal wool and alpaca blend socks with my boat shoes in F/W. No socks S/S.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With No Show Socks.

Last edited:

Basil Ecurie

Reaction score

See no socks. They are Timberland 30003 boat shoes, good leather recommended to wear sockless by maker. I got my first pair of these same boat shoes to wear at college as they were recommended, no socks. They gave very secure walking on the very shinny floors although the rubber soles were noisy, everybody could hear you coming to class, no problem.

prakticala

Reaction score
I wear boat shoes both with and without socks. No problem. If I'm wearing long pants and will be wearing the boat shoes for the whole day, I'll put them over socks because it's more comfortable. With shorts or for quick excursions around town, no socks. No one hassles me about it either way.

floridagator75

Reaction score
I've used Toed's and really like them. Easy to wash and they fit great! Has fixed my sweaty foot problem and it still looks like I'm not wearing socks.

Here's a picture from their website.
www.toeds.us

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads