• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boat Shoe Thoughts

heynow

Reaction score
john-varvatos-red-beekman-oxford-thumb.jpg

thoughts on these?

Garage/Surf Rock

Reaction score
Well, that thread is about wearing boat shoes with jeans. This thread could easily become a general boat shoes discussion thread.

My thoughts: those red boat shoes in the OPs pic are ugly. Boat shoes in general: new "classics"! Everyone get varsity prep like that new indie band Vampire Weekend (
rolleyes.gif
)

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the Varvatos Beekman in brick right? Those are ugly as ****. I saw a pic of the beekman in brown which looked really nice...I think member onion has them.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'll use this then. Assuming i can find both at barneys/bloomies now (i think they'd be the same price after sales). patent black sperry
41YVFCKDB6L._AA280_.jpg
or boo x sperry black/white http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/eLux...y_yellow_h_pu? The boo looks real nice, but the patent blacks would probably be more fun to wear and add a bit of "what the hell is he wearing?" to a few outfits. I'd probably wear these with black/grey trousers, maybe my khakis, and with some shorts (probably charcoal) i plan on buying. To be worn with graphic or plain tshirts, maybe button downs, or sweaters or something when it gets cooler. I live in florida so i can get away with wearing them almost year round.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I saw this guy in super rad silver sperrys at work last week. I thought he'd done it himself, but those patent leather jobbies make me think otherwise.

those are really cool.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uggo

And this thread does not belong in any other thread.

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'll use this then. Assuming i can find both at barneys/bloomies now (i think they'd be the same price after sales).

patent black sperry
41YVFCKDB6L._AA280_.jpg

or

boo x sperry black/white
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/eLux...y_yellow_h_pu?

The boo looks real nice, but the patent blacks would probably be more fun to wear and add a bit of "what the hell is he wearing?" to a few outfits. I'd probably wear these with black/grey trousers, maybe my khakis, and with some shorts (probably charcoal) i plan on buying. To be worn with graphic or plain tshirts, maybe button downs, or sweaters or something when it gets cooler. I live in florida so i can get away with wearing them almost year round.

Where can I buy those patent blacks???

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heynow
john-varvatos-red-beekman-oxford-thumb.jpg

thoughts on these?

Ha, ha, wow... Those remind me of something Mick Jagger might have worn like around 1971 or so.

A little on the loud side. I wouldn't be comfortable in them, but if you're cool with them, go for it.

Window

Reaction score
Not a fan of those...on the subject of boat shoes though, wish they were made in 3/4 or mid heights more often.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Those are the Varvatos Beekman in brick right? Those are ugly as ****. I saw a pic of the beekman in brown which looked really nice...I think member onion has them.
Yup. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...84#post1115484

I'm actually considering buying another pair in black I like them so much. I tend to favor the dark brown, stone, or black over the red (or white). If you like the red though I say buy them. They are really comfortable, and I really like the washed leather, and especially the toe vs typical Sperry's.

A word of advice though, you should try them on before you buy them. You will most likely have to go up a half size, as they run slightly small.

selbsttatig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I'll use this then. Assuming i can find both at barneys/bloomies now (i think they'd be the same price after sales).

patent black sperry
41YVFCKDB6L._AA280_.jpg

or

boo x sperry black/white
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/eLux...y_yellow_h_pu?

The boo looks real nice, but the patent blacks would probably be more fun to wear and add a bit of "what the hell is he wearing?" to a few outfits. I'd probably wear these with black/grey trousers, maybe my khakis, and with some shorts (probably charcoal) i plan on buying. To be worn with graphic or plain tshirts, maybe button downs, or sweaters or something when it gets cooler. I live in florida so i can get away with wearing them almost year round.

I like the patent quite a bit more.

jerry34

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of boat shoes unless you're on a boat. It sounds silly, but I think that's about the only place they have their place...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads