• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boat Shoe Fit

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings SF'ers,

This is my first post, although I am a frequent lurker. I hate making this thread, as I'm sure I'll be flamed, but my SF and Google searches on the topic of boat shoe fit have not helped me much.

I bought my first pair of boat shoes yesterday (Sperry Top-Siders, in this color) and am unsure if I bought the right size. I bought a 10.5, and they are slightly loose throughout the shoe, although without much room to spare between my toes and the front of the shoe. I tried on a 10, but I can feel my toes touching the front of the shoe. It's not exactly uncomfortable, but I can definitely feel my toes against the leather when I'm standing in the 10s. Otherwise, I'd say the 10s feel much better throughout the rest of the shoe, as it's a more snug fit and there is no heel slippage when walking, as there is with the 10.5s (though only slightly).

I should also add that I am wearing these shoes without socks, as they are intended to be worn. I understand that the leather will of course stretch somewhat over time as the shoes are broken in, leading me to believe that the 10.5s that I bought will only further loosen. I have only worn the shoes indoors. Should I exchange them for 10s? I guess the better question to ask is how should boat shoes fit? Rather snuggly, even if that means toes touching the front of the shoes? Or maybe I have the wrong idea altogether, and boat shoes are supposed to be a little loose and "sloppy", almost like a slipper?

Thanks for helping out this boat shoe noob. I really like mine, but just want to make sure I get a properly fitting pair.

ice86x

Reaction score
One problem may be the width. You said it feels loose throughout the shoe and that your toe is already touching the front of the shoe. That probably means you should try for a smaller width.

If size is the problem people usually size down from .5. I'm 8.5 in most shoes and wear 8 in Sperries. I find that in the beginning it feels tight around the toe area (it's really narrow in that area), but after breaking it in, it feels more comfortable.

You also don't want your toe touching the front of the shoe. it will not stretch out vertically so your toe will always be in that spot.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
You may want to post in one of the ten boat shoe threads in existence.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ice86x
One problem may be the width. You said it feels loose throughout the shoe and that your toe is already touching the front of the shoe. That probably means you should try for a smaller width.

If size is the problem people usually size down from .5. I'm 8.5 in most shoes and wear 8 in Sperries. I find that in the beginning it feels tight around the toe area (it's really narrow in that area), but after breaking it in, it feels more comfortable.

You also don't want your toe touching the front of the shoe. it will not stretch out vertically so your toe will always be in that spot.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about possibly needing a narrow width, but I've never had to go with a narrow width in any other shoes I've worn, and if anything, I'd actually consider my foot to be a tad on the wide side. And besides, do Top-Siders even come in a narrow width?

Originally Posted by jet

Thanks, I posted in this thread.

v1100110

Reaction score
Mine slipped a bit when I first bought them. I tightened the laces a bit and they've been fine.

McCurry

Reaction score
I am normally a 9.5, and I really wish I have gone down to 9.0 for my topsider, I can fit my middle finger behind the heel, but the worst part is that the width is too wide, it is constantly grinding at my ankle, to a point that the skin falls off and I have to band-aid my ankle. Should I get Heel Grip or Insole for them? and oh I can't return them because I am on the other side of the world.

but OP, I think you should stick with the 10, and just reorder with the width reduced to small.

kraands

Reaction score
I give up on Top Siders. Nice shoes, but no matter what my heels always get destroyed and bleed even after the shoes are broken in. And yes, I've tried different sizes.

McCurry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kraands
I give up on Top Siders. Nice shoes, but no matter what my heels always get destroyed and bleed even after the shoes are broken in. And yes, I've tried different sizes.

so you gave up on boatshoes or just switch to another brand? enlighten me please!

kraands

Reaction score
Originally Posted by McCurry
so you gave up on boatshoes or just switch to another brand? enlighten me please!

Neither. I don't like boat shoes enough to purchase another pair but I'm definitely done wearing top siders. I guess I'd wear a pair of some other boat shoes if they were given to me.
laugh.gif

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

it's 11 now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads