1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Aug 8, 2010.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

IIRC she already has.

*edit* Dammit, Munch beat me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

According to the Q&A he'll be back next season. That's hardly nothing.

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Maybe, but its another example of the way the finally was not well executed.

Re tatties, dont recall. She's hot, the way she calls van Alden 'husband' and tells him what to do. Hubba hubba.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Since when does a SEASON finale have to wrap every single story line in a bow? They never explained what would happen to Mickey Doyle once the feds raid the Overholt distillery. Does that make it a shitty episode? Did they bury OWen or leave him in a ditch? We also didn't see a car drive Kessler away to his safe house...

Van Alden/Mueller told on his boss to Capone. He'll be in Capone's pocket in season 4. Excited to see.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I hear your point, but I can only comment on what I view as closure/makes sense. Doyle is a 1 dimensional bit player. Van Alden carries a complex moral pack of baggage and is a central juxtaposition to the direction of the show. I believe it was a mistake to hang it.

6. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I honestly cant stand van alden

7. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

i liked it when he burnt the guys face!

8. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Been saying this the entire time.

9. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I didn't like him much the first season but he's become more interesting, even though now the writers don't know what to do with him anymore.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That's the feeling I get too. Does he go full gangster? I even thought he would get killed off in the last episode, an interesting angle would be for him to join Capone and then refuse to go to A City for the war, Capone kills him.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Maybe Capone left him in Chicago to help keep things running?

12. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Van Alden didn't have much effect other character's story lines, but I still really enjoyed him this season.

I liked the last scene with Gyp where he started talking in a different voice. It was awkward and unnerving. I wasn't sure what to make of him at the beginning of the season, but he was a great character played by a great actor. He kind of reminded me of Chigurrah in No Country for Old Men, in the sense that he's just a destructive and chaotic force of nature.

Richard's shootout was fine. It wasn't realistic, but it was so much fun! I loved the stairwell scene where he got two consecutive headshots. Everyone enjoyed his character and wanted to see a scene like that soon after his character was introduced. I also thought "why doesn't he just shoot him?" in the scene with Tommy as he was laying his gun down, but it was still tense and badass in a cheesy way. Just enjoy it.

13. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

That whole scene had been building for so long that it was incredibly cathartic when it finally happened. And Van Alden stomping around the office Godzilla-style was hilarious. This is in my top three scenes for the series.

Both the Godzilla scene and Richard's killing spree had been been telegraphed, but Richard's scene was a bit of a letdown. I thought the finale was very good, but echo some of the criticism's of Harrow's brothel attack.

14. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Gyp's other voice was supposed to be a Nucky impression, I think.

15. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Yea thats the way I viewed it.

16. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

The intention was to drug him up enough that she could physically overpower him and strangle him, just like she drugged up fake Jimmy and drowned him.

People had realism complaints about the Wire, too. Remember Spiderman Omar?

I had the same feeling about Jimmy.

17. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Anybody watch the season opener?

18. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Ah, yes. I only randomly noticed that the new episode aired.

This season looks to be promising in new ways. The feud with NYC seems resolved for now. That new business guy moving into the Commodore's mansion and "teaming up" with Gillian. Eli's eldest son showing interest in the business. That new agent that let the corrupt one die. Al Capone's brothers showing up (I spoilered them for myself by reading their Wiki articles - don't do it!) and Van Alden not even seen yet.

I wonder if Richard's story is over now?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Damn, didn't even know it had started.

20. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

They should have held it off four weeks and started it right after Breaking Bad finished. Or at least moved it to 10/9C. i know, DVR and all that, but the competition can't be good for it.