1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Aug 8, 2010.

1. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

thats it until next fall.

i was satisfied, wrapped it up as I expected and well done in regards to Richard.

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

There were questions? Owen wasn't even in the top 3 badasses.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Was anyone else hoping to see Margaret bleed out from the abortion in front of Nucky?

What was good was Nucky playing Arnold over the distillery. IMO, best part of the episode.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Massaria and Rothstein are going to come looking for Thompson. Without the distillery, how does he satisfy Capone?

I dont see how this is resolution. Unless Mellon hands it back.

Was clever to see the slick talking southerner in Mellon's ear. Wonder if there is any historical truth in his involvement in liquor.

EDIT:

I actually thought it was a pretty weak finally and pretty badly executed from a storyboard perspective.

For starters, the scenes with Richard shooting were badly staged. There was a guy on the stairs, shoots misses, Richard guns him, then, on the next flight, another guy, shoots misses, Richard guns him, but he had clear view before the 1st guy went down, stuff like that.

Then, with the boy. Worthless dramatics. Why would he pretend to lay the gun? He had the shot, a much better shot, to start.

If the intention was to OD Rosetti, why aint she dead? He's twice her size.

Dont see the point in all the BS between Capone's guys and Chalkey's. Again, badly staged fights.

Capone shot out the first car, but he was right in the line of fire of the guys across the street, why wouldn't they come out from the same direction?

How did Rossetti's #2 know where to find him? This kind of crap happens all the time in the movies, drives me crazy.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The real Gaston Means was a prodigious blackmailer, in addition to his other areas of expertise, so I bet he's got some dirt on Mellon.

I don't really understand why Nucky double crossed Rothstein and Masseria. Seems like he would do well to make friends now, or at least not make enemies.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Nucky had to make a statement. AR hung Nucky out to dry by not offering any help and walking out of that meeting at the Ritz. Masseria actively tried to help bring Nucky down by giving Gyp men (we learned the majority of his muscle was Masseria's this episode). That could not pass without a statement being made.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Yup. Nucky's a vengeful little fuck.

8. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Im just upset because last week before it aired they def said only 3 episodes left...that some how translated into two.

Yea I wonder what capone got out of all of this...I agree Nucky had to make a statement to AR and Masseria but I don't see how it ends well for him. He wont get backlash from AR but I can't see Masseria taking to kindly to this unless now their main focus is heroin.

9. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

Richard Harrow, the motherfucking killing machine! Last night's episode definitely made up for a lot of the BS we had to put up with all season long. The opening scene was beautiful.

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Has any of season 4s storyline been leaked or released?

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Don't forget the writers need to keep rivalries going for S4. Of course they want to set the seeds for this in this season's finale.

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I'm going to assume that Gillian survives the OD.

I really don't care about silly shit like "how did Genino find Gyp". That kind of trivial nonsense just gums up the story telling.

Overall as a finale the episode felt weak. There wasn't much tension and Harrow gunning down a dozen or so men didn't seem likely, especially since he stood in the wide open (true he had a rifle VS their pistols) but you'd think he'd know how to use corners and obstructions...

The scene of Capone/Chalky gunning down Masareia's men in their cars was a bit of a letdown as well.

I'm curious as to Eli's role next season and how the fallout between AR and Lucky/Meyer plays out.

1 person likes this.
  13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Isn't using a sniper rifle indoors more cumbersome than pistols? Though fun, I didn't care much for Richard's scene cause it was so implausible. Not to mention the stunt with the kid. He could've just shot the dude while standing. I think Nucky will continue to run the destillery after the Rothstein business - it'll be officially shutter as Mellon requested but it will still be operational.

14. OmniscientCause

Its usually around Feb/March before the first teaser is release I believe...im thinking end of the next season of shows that comes out. Which I forget what is in their winter slot for 9 o'clock now.

Yea I suppose, I could see it playing out Masareia thinking it was AR who double crossed him.

I dont think Gillian tried to make him OD, but rather just drug him so he was in a weaker state then she could kill him.

I mean he had a shotty and a rifle of both he was very accurate with. The rifle packs more punch and he obviously was trained to use it in close quarters. Sure there was some extra drama tossed in there and the shot would have been easier had Richard shot the guy while standing rather then from the ground but richard didnt want tommy to see him kill him maybe?

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The skill shot over Tommy's head was pretty unnecessary as people have noted, but it was also a cool scene so I am not inclined to fight the premise too much. I suppose it is within reason that he was going to lay down his gun and then thought better of the idea at the last minute.

16. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The skill shot over Tommy's head was pretty unnecessary as people have noted, but it was also a cool scene so I am not inclined to fight the premise too much. I suppose it is within reason that he was going to lay down his gun and then thought better of the idea at the last minute.

17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That seems ridiculous considering all those guys would be in that house wondering how he died. I guess suffocation might have been her angle.

Unnecessary dramatics.

The whole segment, from him walking into to that shooting was hokey. Would anyone in their right mind (especially a guy with 1 eye) just barge thru the middle of hallways like that? And the timing of Massaria's guys leaving? Come on. Seconds after they leave, he just happens to arrive? And if they didnt leave, we are supposed to believe he was going to pick off 40 guys?

The whole episode was really badly executed. Real masterstroke to make a show bloated and tired in one single episode.

18. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior member

I do get annoyed when I see shootout scenes or fight scenes for that matter that seem unrealistic. Guys waiting to get shot or punched. Richard kneeling down and shooting the guy would have been cool in that maybe he feels the guy relaxes a bit but is then squashed by him telling Tommy to close his eyes. I guess the cool dialogue wins over reality occasionally. Also thought how are they not killing each other shooting across ea. other in the ambush.

As for Gyp's guy knowing where he would be but agree it's not worth bogging things down. Gyp & co. could have agreed on a meeting place as things were going down.

Still enjoy the show and look forward to next season.

19. OmniscientCause

You have to remember these are mostly just hired hands they rnt really trained killers or former soliders...the economy wasnt exactly great back then so men would do what they had to for work which is pretty obvious from watching but in case you forgot :confused:

Not to mention that it was night time most were probably drinking before hand.

No one was really waiting to be shot other then the one guy who pleaded for his life.

The whole scene was a cluster, the men didnt really know what was going on with Massaria's guys leaving the last thing they were expecting was someone to come in guns drawn.

20. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I assume Richard was watching the premises and when he saw 40 or so men leaving knew that'd be the best time to strike.