Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

His secretary/concierge is also a bodyguard of sorts, he carries a gun. Came up the first time somebody made a play on Nucky.

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I thought he was just kinda pointing him out to the hit man.

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah I was getting a Judas' kiss vibe from that exchange.

4. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

I think Jimmy didn't really want to kill Nucky and that his approach was a warning behind the guise of pointing him out to the hitman. The hit would have been successful if Nucky hadn't been alerted by the approach, but because Jimmy addressed Nucky, he was aware of his surroundings

5. landshark

landshark Senior member

This and that he was shot in the hand, similar to how Christ had nails driven into his hands/wrists.

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The hit would have been successful if there hadn't been a federal agent to put one in the assassin's head. The guy hit him square in either the chest or stomach and had him on his back ready for an easy headshot. I don't see what Nucky did to stop it.

7. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

I'm not saying there wasn't a part of luck involved as well, but Nucky would have been a standing duck without the approach. Wouldn't have had the time to move

8. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I wager that Jimmy just wanted to ease his mind about the murder attempt. Remember that Nucky was like a father to him, and in the meeting Jimmy was the only one visibly hesitant about hitting Nuck.

9. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Senior member

I thought this as well.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

We all know Jimmy did not want the hit and it was weighing heavily on him. His comment to Nucky, that sometimes a decision has to be made but it is not necessarily a good one, pretty much says it all. Again, I predict those two are allied again by the end of the season.

Did no one else find it ironic Nucky's bodyguard was off to track down and kill someone so was not there when Nucky was...tracked down and almost killed?

Did not expect Van Alden to come clean to lady AG. I thought Nucky had him. As Van Alden has already done several nefarious things it shows he is capable of deception and dishonesty so I guess it's personal animous against Nucky that came into play. The file he had, that was outside the jurisdiction of his investigation, shows how fixated with Nucky he is. I predict this fixation leads to his eventual downfall.

FWIW, I wil be glad when Eli gets bumped.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Yup, just getting annoying now.

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Could anybody understand the dialog between the two Irishmen, before Owen ended up killing the other guy? I missed about half of it, was very confused. I assume the other Irishman was a traitor to the revolutionary movement, but what was their little conversation about?

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

They were really just shooting the shit about the old country.

14. boogaboogabooga

I think Nucky's new employee just wanted to divine the guy while also giving him details that would allow himself, ideally, to garner trust to make his kill easier. Obviously that didn't happen.

15. boogaboogabooga

I thought Van Alden going to Ester was from his new found sense of purpose inspired by his daughter. I don't think it's out of revenge as much as it's him returning to some of his ideals. It could be a ignoratio elenchi for some plot twist later, but the amount of depth the character takes on by having some sentiment is enormous and it'd really hurt that characterization if it were all a ploy and Van Alden was stll the hollow Gman. Also, that actor was interviewed on NPR recently and it sort of changed the way I look at the character. Boardwalk could totally tighten up its scripting and direction, if Shannon's interpretation of the character is canon.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011