Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Aug 8, 2010.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

How hard was it to get Federal Prohibition agents, especially good / honest Prohibition agents (not that Nelson is a good one)?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

2. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior member

I agree with this although I prefer Boardwalk to Mad Men. Just as I didn't want Tony(Soprano) to get caught I feel the same way in regards to Nucky. I think both actors/shows have done a great job with creating sympathetic bad guys. We also now see the struggle Margaret has with being with a man like that, just as Carmela had.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

You should watch Ken Burn's 3 part series on Prohibition called Prohibition that came out a month or so ago. It was very, very, hard. George Remus features in it as well. His is a pretty screwed up story.

4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

The Van Alden scene was great where he is convinced that his prayer brought his burned man back from the brink, only to have him say "I see you...I know what you did." Leave the room freaked out and drop his jaw at the flickering light.

When his wife turned around in the bed at the end, my girlfriend gasped.

5. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I found it on Pirate's Bay for anyone who is interested.

6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Senior member

Indeed. Between the Sopranos' alumni, parallel storylines, and Tim Van Patten directing, I'm hoping the last scene of the final episode isn't going to be Nucky listening to the wireless with a sudden cut to black screen.

7. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

By the way, am I the only one who wants to see the rent parties that the old lady was complaining about a few episodes ago? I'd like to hear some jazz and blues instead of the corny old show tunes they always play.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Goddamnit that was a good episode, really stupid of Jimmy to let Nucky know who attacked him.

9. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Who else would have done it, really?

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

It didn't occur to me yesterday but wouldn't have been crazy easy to just use the sniper to drop him?

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

That's true...

Yes. But Jimmy played it badly, he should have said "I want him to rot in jail like he let my father rot" and still would have gotten what he wanted without looking weak.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Shooting the guy in the middle of a crowd indoors is kind of a bad move. I see the point of doing it in a crowd, but you're limiting your escape routes by doing it indoors.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I thought Nucky beefed up protection after the last attempt... he is going to start walking around like the SS with POTUS.

14. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Richard already said he wouldn't kill Nucky. Al proposed the idea in the second or third episode this season.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Um, Jimmy played it like someone who really didn't want to follow through with the hit. Which answers my question but I'm surprised you missed it totally.

Evidence:
    1. Note the look on his face and mannerisms when it dawns on him that his comrades were all more than happy with offing NUcky instead of trying to put him in prison (the initial meeting at the commodore's. Eli knows NUcky has an ace up his sleeve hence his suggestion that they off him). All of Jimmy's tough talk about being done with NUcky (with him in prison) blows up in his face.
    2. Jimmy's conversation with his mother that beats you over the head that he really really doesn't want to kill Nucky.
    3. Sloppy execution of the hit. Jimmy's act of warning Nucky (not sure how he expected NUcky to get out of it then though).

P.S. Oh yah, why does NUcky only have one body guard? Particularly a shifty, smooth as silk mick like the new guy? I like the character but you'd think NUcky would arrange for some added muscle (discreete or not) after the first attempt on him and the coalition of the willing ready to pounce.

P.P.S I really think Margaret is hawt. especially with her hair down. and barking orders. and gained reamed out. :Drool:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011