Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

The butcher is a kosher butcher. An injured animal is usually considered treif under the laws of kashrut.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I think he just wanted to make sure he had seen Jimmy spill some blood and used the kosher thing as an excuse, considering he's probably not going to eat the guy and I doubt humans are kosher anyway.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Who knows? Made me laugh either way.

4. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

That is why it was funny. He was injured because the butcher assaulted him and then he goes all holier than though and says he can't kill him. Later he shoots the guy on the road after they tried to jack the load of liqueur. All of which are not so kosher.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I'm pretty sure he wasn't all that serious about the kosher business, it's just part of his personal mythology and a way to set up a test for Jimmy.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

:nodding:

7. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Looks like Ms. Schroeder has a new boyfriend. This could get rather interesting.

8. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Seems possible.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Like I said before: he is the 'Furio' character.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

it was a juxtaposition of how we view religion, morals. and politics (including self politics)

where the butcher is a ruthless killer, he does have a set of morals that he's willing to adhere to regardless, contrast that to how Margaret is willing to be ruthless in regards to self preservation (including breaking the law and religious morals).

what does the butcher do? he stands firm, and teaches Jimmy a valuable lesson (Jimmy has learned many lessons and seems to be a sponge for applied wisdom this season) about having a set of morals even in the heinous business there in.

what does Margaret do? she selectively confesses to the Priest about her desire for another man, but withholds confessing something that is obviously eating away at her (living with the killer of her husband and participating in organized crime all in the name of economic welfare). even I questioned the priests morality (thinking he may snitch for the right price), but maybe if she did actually confess the priest would give good advice: leave nucky and start anew live free from organized crime for your children and your own welfare. but she never gives over to her supposed faith.

counter that with how nucky is dealing with the government bigwigs: where in washington there is absolutely no religion/morals that people adhere too (the ultimate power game).

also if you remember the scene where jimmy is in the kosher meat locker, amongst the religiously prepared meats, with the butcher adhering to his ways, jimmy cuts the snitch's throat and out flows massive amounts of blood. then the scene cuts to Margaret at confession in the church amongst all the blood red candle glass (maybe symbolizing jesus' blood/her husband's blood/all the death of the organized crime she's now involved with).

lastly the ultimate example of conflict of morality/politics and religion Nelson Van Alden. He actually does confess (barely) to his wife, tries to confess to his boss, and is actually repentant for his actions (mentioning the words Spilled Blood). was the light flickering gods way of saying: "ok, I know you're truly repentant for your co-worker's accident... i'll let you off for that one...". But as the priest and Margaret's child understand... Praying to Jesus and confessing your sins will bring you forgiveness, but the Father will still make you pay for your sins ( Nelson gets caught by his wife Red Handed with Lucy still bathed in blood from birthing their illegitimate child).

11. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

Keep in mind too that this episode was called "Age of Reason" which is usually meant as a counterpoint to faith. (The priest also mentions it to Schroeder's son, that he is now at an "age of reason" where he will be judged for his sins.)

While I don't think this show rises to narrative finesse of a Sopranos or even a Mad Men, it's still very, very good. Recent episodes have been deeply satisfying from both a plot and character development angle.

And, you know, you gotta love the clothes.

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Nelson's "I had this child for you!" was some creepy ass writing. How has this guy gotten to this point in life? He's obviously completely off the rails, even setting aside the murder.

13. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    ^^ that's par for the course for an extremist and that's what he is.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Yeah didn't seem out of place at all. The show has been hitting us over the heads with his creepiness.

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I know it's in place. I just have to wonder how the Treasury department hasn't figured out the guy is a freak and taken him out of the field.