Boardwalk Empire

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    ^^ beat his wife, duh.

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I'm warming up to this show. For all of the show's flaws, they get the violence consistently right, and you have to like the costumes and sets.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

It took me a few episodes of the first season to get into it. I appreciate its deliberate pace.

4. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Damn that scalping scene was vicious. First I thought they'd just kill the arrogant bugger, but instead they went for a lesson in pain and respect. That fellow will never have an itch on his occiput again.

I did some Googling and I quote:

'The final aspect of scalping that is of interest is that of the large number of persons who actually survived the experience. Many think, as Montcalm wrote in a letter, that it was "an operation from which you usually die, as is (only natural and) proper."25 However, this was not the always the case. Weyman's New York Gazette, for July 30, 1759, carried an article proclaiming that "as a proof that many persons have survived after being scalped, we can assure our readers, that four Highlanders are lately arrived from America, in order for admission into Chelsea Hospital, who had been scalped and left for dead."26 Sir William Johnson's brother, Warren, declared in his journal on April 12, 1761, that "there are many instances of both men and women recovering after being scalped." He also confirmed scalps were pulled "off from the back of the head."27'

More here:
    http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/1998/scalping.html

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

^ I love the symbolism of scalping the guy since he bragged about killing indians in battle. I hope he survived it.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Yeah, I thought that was rather ironic. I think he was examing some rare authentic Indian clothing at the time also.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Even better, they used the Sioux breeches to gag him while they scalped him.

8. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

...who knows where I could find a straw cap in a similar style like Nucky's? It was on screen for just a flash, but that's all it takes when I see what I want.

9. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Wow, Green wing tips and 5 seconds of Chalky White.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

God that lawyer was such a douche bag. Nice kicks though.

11. Piobaire

I love how he was unceremoniously punted out of bed with the whores.

12. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

This show is really tailor made for the people that post here, what with all the attention paid to the details of the clothing. As usual they tend to belabor their points a little. I didn't really need the judge pointing out how "demonstrative" the shoes were. A minor quibble, though. It was a good episode from a show that I am warming to. I still want more Chalky.

I've seen smarmy dickhead attorneys like that in court before. Usually glad to see them because nothing turns off judges and juries as much as copping that pose.

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

The biggest problem the show has is that Buscemi (an actor I almost always enjoy) is miscast and that he and the woman who plays Margaret (who I have liked in most other things I've seen her in) have no chemistry. The show grinds to a halt whenever they try to advance any of their plotlines. Actually, most of the female oriented drama kind of drags, although Paz de la Huerta's character is well acted and certainly took an interesting turn last night.

14. Piobaire

I think I've figured out the mechanism by which Nucky and Jimmy are reunited: the end of Nucky's relationship with the Kelly MacDonald character. We now know she has the hots for the Irish tough guy. She gets caught sleeping with him, Nucky gets Jimmy to take out the Mc, Jimmy and Nucky ride again.

15. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

The butcher is quickly becoming a star on this show. The guy is a bad ass. What was up with the butcher not being able to kill his boy because he was injured? Pretty funny. Margaret is clearly conflicted. Jimmy was great last night. His conversation with one of the Commodore's Good Ol Boys seems to have helped him. He finally showed that he had what it takes to run things. While Nucky is more cunning Jimmy will be more ruthless but will still achieve the desired results.

Still waiting to see the Jimmy, Lucky and Lansky partnership unfold.