• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boardwalk Empire

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Chalky's beef with Nucky is pretty similar to Eli's complaints. Nucky expects people to do as he says when he says but fails to notice the damage it does to them while they wait patiently until Nucky gets things working just so (to the least possible damage to himself of course). No doubt, it's what's gotten most of those around Nucky paid but it's still painful. The scene of Nucky calling Chalky "boy" just underscored his dismissiveness.

I'm most likely going to wear my fancy RLBL suit. BUt will stop by some thrift stores to see if something decent crops up. Nonetheless, I'm banking on the scar as being my main prop.

Last edited:

christinedaae

Reaction score
damn chalky can't read? I guess I did not pick up on that.

it makes sense now when he was in the jail, he was looking at the book not reading it.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He cant read? I thought he could read, but he just told the guy in jail that the book was Huck Finn even when it wasn't, just to see if he was educated. Perhaps he can read, but not to the proficiency of his daughter?

I don't think Jimmy's wife and the half-faced man are romantically affectionate. I'd like to see their relationship develop.

Margret is getting pretty cold, telling the maids that they might receive a pay cut. I'm also surprised that she had the balls to burn Nucky's ledger book and tell him how to spend his money.

Ha ha at the "Van Asshole" scene. That guy just cant catch a break.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's nice to see Jimmy becoming more diplomatic and smooth-talking.That scene with the Jewish mafia was well done. And Richard's story about his sister was heartbreaking.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Everybody is talking about the beating the commodore took...what about the fact that the chick got him so excited he ******* paralyzed now? That's a hot piece of ass.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He cant read? I thought he could read, but he just told the guy in jail that the book was Huck Finn even when it wasn't, just to see if he was educated. Perhaps he can read, but not to the proficiency of his daughter?
I don't think Jimmy's wife and the half-faced man are romantically affectionate. I'd like to see their relationship develop.
Margret is getting pretty cold, telling the maids that they might receive a pay cut. I'm also surprised that she had the balls to burn Nucky's ledger book and tell him how to spend his money.
Ha ha at the "Van Asshole" scene. That guy just cant catch a break.

Yeah, why would his wife give him a book if she knew he couldn't read.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, why would his wife give him a book if she knew he couldn't read.

he can't read. but his wife is so set in her ways of being a socialite that she gave chalky a book as a gesture of concern from their son - wether she actually knows of his being illiterate or she's just being vapid is up for debate (even as they talked she wasn't that supportive to chalky but actually more concerned about the kids and other things).

at the table when they are about to eat breakfast, his son actually gives a wise assed comment (and insinuates that chalky can't help his young daughter with her homework - because he doesn't know how to read). chalky actually takes the jab in stride and even is happy that his older daughter has a suitor and asks specifically for beans and rice to be part of the meal where they will meat the boy courting his daughter.

nucky comes in and is dismissive to chalky after chalky just came back from a meeting where he was again emasculated by the reality that he might not have as much power as he thought he had.

come dinner the buildup of stress finally is too much. his emasculation about lack of power and being illiterate, his daughter growing up and possibly being married soon, and the fact that his wife ignored his one request to have a simple peasant food dish be included in the dinner. the suitor is from the upper classes (just like his wife probably) and he's the odd man out: the last vestige of illiterate blue collar folk in that household.

chalky did blow up, but he showed a lot of restraint too. the suitor actually was really cool under pressure and did the right thing of apologizing and offering to leave (showing his pedigree).

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
even more reason for Chalky to want to learn to read and write.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

he can't read. but his wife is so set in her ways of being a socialite that she gave chalky a book as a gesture of concern from their son - wether she actually knows of his being illiterate or she's just being vapid is up for debate (even as they talked she wasn't that supportive to chalky but actually more concerned about the kids and other things).
at the table when they are about to eat breakfast, his son actually gives a wise assed comment (and insinuates that chalky can't help his young daughter with her homework - because he doesn't know how to read). chalky actually takes the jab in stride and even is happy that his older daughter has a suitor and asks specifically for beans and rice to be part of the meal where they will meat the boy courting his daughter.
nucky comes in and is dismissive to chalky after chalky just came back from a meeting where he was again emasculated by the reality that he might not have as much power as he thought he had.
come dinner the buildup of stress finally is too much. his emasculation about lack of power and being illiterate, his daughter growing up and possibly being married soon, and the fact that his wife ignored his one request to have a simple peasant food dish be included in the dinner. the suitor is from the upper classes (just like his wife probably) and he's the odd man out: the last vestige of illiterate blue collar folk in that household.
chalky did blow up, but he showed a lot of restraint too. the suitor actually was really cool under pressure and did the right thing of apologizing and offering to leave (showing his pedigree).

Dude... nice.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
**** was pretty real last night night.

Lawrence, nice write up. To the folks that needed it: :facepalm:

Willie5566

Reaction score
Can we get Lawrence to write up a synopsis of last nights episode? I don't even know where to begin. I may watch it again to try to take it all in. I feel like the Commodore's crew is done. Everyone is bailing as quick as they can or in some cases getting beaten to death by a wrench. I feel like Jimmy is going to be put in a corner soon. I do not think that even Jimmy knows how quickly things are falling a part. Richard is really all he has left and he almost did not have that. Crazy stuff.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think **** is going to get real, real quick. JImmy is a smart guy and Richard is good muscle. I think they need to get nuck's ***** ass brother out of the way and then..game time.
I have a hunch Jimmy and Al well be doing more work together.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Jimmy and Nucky are a team again by the end of the season. This is why many of the folks standing between them are getting removed. Jimmy and Nucky band together with Chalky and clean house in AC and have solidarity against the NYC and Chicago folks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads