• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BNWT Trend Corneliani Black 3-B SB suit althetic

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before anything, the price. Â 288 USD shipped in the US. Â Overseas shipping - you pay the actual cost. Here goes. Â I really like this suit, but never had the opportunity to wear it, and I need the money. Â All tags, including the tag attached to the middle front button hole, the tag on the right sleeve, and the retail tag under the lapel with the MRSP of $950 - a real MRSP, unlike some, ahem, Ebay sellers - are attached. Â Extra button in sealed envelope and the official booklet are in the inside breast pocket. I'm not the tailored clothing expert here, but judging from the tags, the cut, and pictures of various collections, the suit is from the FW 2002/2003 season, give or take one year. Â No damage or use whatsoever. This is a suit for all you guys of the smaller but trimmer persuasion who are complaining about finding suits in their size at deep discount, all the time. Â As with all Trend Corneliani suits, the suit is half-canvassed (I think, but will ask Johnnynorman3 to give a second and final assessment). The color is true black, in a very nice wool microtwill which allows the jacket to be worn on it's own. Â The microtwill is very discreet. Â From a distance, the material appears to be a plain weave. Â The suit features medium width lapels with a medium-high gorge and a medium button stance. Â There is a slight roll to the second button, but the top button is usable (though I strongly recommend you not do so.) Â Three front pockets, with two besom flapped hip pockets. Â All the buttons, both the front buttons and the 5 kissing buttons on each sleeve have a cream and black swirled pattern. Â The lining is also black, and features a discreet but interesting repeating diamond pattern. Since it's an athletic cut (marked "sportif"), the shoulders are cut slightly wider than usual (I am on the slim side of a 40R (5'11" and 168 lbs last checked) and the jacket fits me perfectly through the shoulders, chest and torso.) Â The pants have a true 32 waist, with an overlapping waistband with hook and eye closures, and a medium deep single forward pleats on each leg . Â Zipper fly. Â The trousers have lightly tapered legs with unfinished hems (37 inches, give or take.) Â In my assessment, the suit can be worn in less formal business settings (didn't we just have a huge thread on this?,) and for a variety of evening events. Â Its complementary rather than fully matching buttons make it less severe than the typical black suit, but the relatively modern and slim cut makes it suitable for more going to, say, a jazz club in - it's not Helmut Lang or Costume National hip, but it certainly isn't going to look like you wandered in after work either. Â Good for you in between guys. Â Actually, this was going to be my go to suit (cool enough that I don't feel like a sellout - conservative enough to not scare the future in-laws) for the meet the parents. Â Luckily, they are pretty typical Californian people who think that suits are for church - and only for funerals and weddings at that.) Again, Â the asking price is $288 shipped (within the US. Â Overseas will have to pay actual shipping.) Â The 88 is because of my Chinese superstitutions. Â I will also include a wooden Polo hanger with the traditional trouser holder. Â It's also brand new, but has some nicks in it from being moved around. Â No, it's not on of Ian Andrew's Attolini's (oh, I like), but the price is right for what it is. Â A good suit at a bargain price. Â Similar suits sell for ~$400 (about 60% off) at Last Call. Edited. Â Pictures added courtesy of Johnnynorman3. Â SHoes, shirt and tie not included, or course. Â The fourth picture has been lightened to show the texture up close. Â The suit is true black. Â There are no "specks" on the suit. Â Don't know what happened in the last picture.
cfront0tv.jpg
cback1nz.jpg
cpants1fv.jpg
clabel5kw.jpg
ctexture7sq.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, thought this was in the subject line, but the suit is a 38 R, athletic drop.  Crucial information, and I dropped the ball on that one.  The jacket fits more like a 50Eu in, say Helmut Lang and Costume National, but traditional makers cut less fitted suits.  

Measurements on the jacket are, using the A. Harris method

Shoulders:18.7 X 2
Chest: 40.0 (exactly on this one)
Waist: 18.5 X 2 at the middle button, buttoned
Length from end of lapel along center seam is 30.5.

On the pants:
Waist 32,
Waistband width: 1.25
Inseam: 35
Outseam: 45.5 (i.e. medium rise (10.5 inches.  High rise is 12 inches, low rise is under 10 inches))

I also neglected to mention that the pants have slant front pockets with pinstitching detail, and that there are 2 besom buttoned back pockets.  The pants are lined to the knee; and  the jacket sleeves have the traditional striped cream lining.

I would say that the suit would be suited best to a guy between 5'9"and 6', depending on how you like the jacket to fit (ideal for 5'10" and 5'11") and between 143 and 163 pounds, depending of course on how that mass is distributed.  That  last bit is based on the "average" guy not the supernatural freak or the gym buff, for whom (as we talked about in the BWI thread) mileage may vary.

Pictures to come.  I'm supposed to meet the guy for coffee in a couple of hours, and get the camera then.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Updatel

Unfortunately, no pictures for the time being, since the friend I mentioned will not lend me his camera (is afraid of missing any of his new baby's first *anything*|) |'m trying to get access to a camera fro elsewhere and from (possible) pictures from Corneliani or a stores archive of pictures.

Fok.

Brian SD

Reaction score
That sounds like a nice cut for a 38R. Only slightly two big for me.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey LA Guy,

Is it still available? Although I dont really need a new black suit, it sounds pretty nice, and a decent deal at that.

I just need to go home tonight and check the measurements on one of my better fitting suits and see how the Athletic cut will go with my sizing.

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads