• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BMW - The official car of the douchebag?

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
3 series is for pint-sized douchebags. It's hard to fit 4 of your posse in a 3 series sedan, forget about the coupe.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
3 series is for pint-sized douchebags. It's hard to fit 4 of your posse in a 3 series sedan, forget about the coupe.

You're calling 3-series owners douchebags because you can't fit a "posse" in it? Are all Ferrari owners douchebags as well?
confused.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I've been told that Mercedes has more "higher society" symbolism than BMW...
This was likely true up to the '70s, early '80s when BMW was sort of like a sportier alternative to the grander Mercedes. Audi was seen as slightly down-market at that time. BMW also didn't have the ultra-luxe cars such as the 600 or some of the costly boulevard cruisers like the SL and SLC series. Nowadays with interest-free financing and all that nonsense, anybody can own one so there's no "high-society" symbolism. Some yahoo could probably rent a Maybach for show.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
This was likely true up to the '70s, early '80s when BMW was sort of like a sportier alternative to the grander Mercedes. Audi was seen as slightly down-market at that time. BMW also didn't have the ultra-luxe cars such as the 600 or some of the costly boulevard cruisers like the SL and SLC series. Nowadays with interest-free financing and all that nonsense, anybody can own one so there's no "high-society" symbolism. Some yahoo could probably rent a Maybach for show.
I still consider BMW the sportier alternative, and some still see Audi (even though equal) as slightly down market. However, I agree completely about BMW not having the blvd cruisers and large luxo cars decades ago, however with the 6 and 7 series in the line-up, they are now considerably equal.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Some yahoo could probably rent a Maybach for show.

The guys I listen to on the radio every morning on WFAN (Boomer and Carton) are always talking about this luxury car rental program that Carton is a member of, where for 10 or 40 days a year you can drive around in one of their fleet of luxury cars, which includes things like Ferrari, Lambourgini, etc.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
The guys I listen to on the radio every morning on WFAN (Boomer and Carton) are always talking about this luxury car rental program that Carton is a member of, where for 10 or 40 days a year you can drive around in one of their fleet of luxury cars, which includes things like Ferrari, Lambourgini, etc.
Yeah, those clubs are cool. IIRC, there are different levels. On the cheapest one, you could only drive the poor man's exotics, e.g. Porsches, BMW Ms, etc. On the higher levels, you can drive F430s, Murcielagos, etc. They start from somewhere around 15-20 grand/year and up to 30-40 grand/year. Not a bad way to drive all the newest exotics all the time.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I still consider BMW the sportier alternative, and some still see Audi (even though equal) as slightly down market. However, I agree completely about BMW not having the blvd cruisers and large luxo cars decades ago, however with the 6 and 7 series in the line-up, they are now considerably equal.

I hear you and agree. I was in a time warp. Early-Mid 90's?

The 7 series is firmly ensconced in upper class warfare with the S class Benz. How do you all feel about the Lexus LS 600?

A former member of the BMWCCA 1985-1995

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
How do you all feel about the Lexus LS 600?

The best enginereed soulless driving appliance out there.

--Andre

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The best enginereed soulless driving appliance out there.

--Andre

I believe Car & Driver (or Road and Track, or Motor Trend, etc.) once called it a "Rolling Isolation Chamber". Entirely true, IMO, and if that's what you're after you'd be hard pressed to find an easier car to drive (at average speed) than that thing at any price.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
I hear you and agree. I was in a time warp. Early-Mid 90's?

The 7 series is firmly ensconced in upper class warfare with the S class Benz. How do you all feel about the Lexus LS 600?

A former member of the BMWCCA 1985-1995

While it lacks soul, it's luxurious interior more than makes up for it.....it seems to be a car that's best enjoyed from the backseat. If I was looking at a big luxury car, I would definately consider it (at that size and weight....cars are seldom tossable), but the Jag would likely be my first choice.

My wife drives a GS, so I have no problems with Lexus, but there's zero feedback and excitement.....but I am intersted to see how their new performance class cars handle.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I believe Car & Driver (or Road and Track, or Motor Trend, etc.) once called it a "Rolling Isolation Chamber". Entirely true, IMO, and if that's what you're after you'd be hard pressed to find an easier car to drive (at average speed) than that thing at any price.

They also likened the 911 Turbo to a heat exchanger.
crackup[1].gif

dpw

Reaction score
duchbag discussion brings to mind the thought that envy is best shared in public (no matter the borish outburst flowing forth from that anguished individiual) or terrible things can happen to the psyche.... resulting in an outward behavior often refered to as "going postal".

noVA99

Reaction score
The Europeans think Americans are douchebags regardless if you drive a BMW or not.
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads