BMW - The official car of the douchebag?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lance konami, Mar 17, 2008.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In south Florida, so many people use their cars as status symbols. I knew some shady mortgage (do these words even need to be written together) guys who shared a two bedroom apartment with their girl friends so they could afford leased Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.

No need to use cars down here to weed out the douches ... almost everyone is one regardless of their car. Still though .. hummers and G35's are damn douchy

Yet another reason I want to move somewhere I don't need a car.

Jon.

2. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

Good call on the Hummers..... double-parking and 12mpg won't exactly earn you any non-douchebag points

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

BMWs do tend to inspire a certain arrogance in most people who drive them. They don't make you a douchebag but they definitely encourage any present douchebag tendencies.

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I could just as easily find a photo of a bunch of wankers in a Civic, GrandPrix or Celicas because let's face it, the 3-series has become as common as any of those, at least here in Baltimore. I drive a 3 series and would like to think I'm not a douchebag. I also don't drive it like it's an M3 and like I'm a badass either. I drive it like "hey, I'm almost 30 and I can afford a car that makes my hour-long commute to work a little more comfortable" I live in a middle-class neighborhood in the county with a good mix of blue collar and white collar and there are plenty of 3 series in the driveways of doctors, postmen, computer geeks (me), exterminators and construction guys (well, his wife anyway) - I really don't see them as a status symbol anymore. Seriously, a BMW is only as douchebaggy as the person driving it (and anyone driving any car without a shirt on is, in fact, a douchebag) P.S. - IMHO spending more than $250 a month on a lease without a REALLY good reason is like throwing money away.
    Don't worry. I've long placed you in the same category as kronik. Your 3series only reaffirms my prior beliefs.

[​IMG]

See ya Friday, 'bag.

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I could just as easily find a photo of a bunch of wankers in a Civic, GrandPrix or Celicas because let's face it, the 3-series has become as common as any of those, at least here in Baltimore. ...
    Oi! We're not douchebags! We are just passive-aggressive due to Toyota acting like we don't exist [​IMG] Shoe and I are now duly insulted. Douchebag [​IMG]

6. BrettChaotix

BrettChaotix Senior member

Don't worry. I've long placed you in the same category as kronik. Your 3series only reaffirms my prior beliefs.

[​IMG]

See ya Friday, 'bag.

hey now, let's not get 3-series and pink sweaters confused... [​IMG]

mental note... be sure waiter knows booze for all members of the group goes on Who's credit card...

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

P.S. - IMHO spending more than $250 a month on a lease without a REALLY good reason is like throwing money away.
    I'd never buy a car unless it's really special--e.g. a BMW M3 CSL, or Porsche C2S--regardless of how much money I have. But then again, I have automotive ADD. [​IMG]

8. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

BMWs used to be douchebag cars maybe 10 years ago. Today they are as common as a Toyoata Camry. As a result you have a wide range of people behind the wheel. Some people are douche bags and drive like racer wannabes and some drive like little old ladies.

Hummers, G35s, and Maxima drivers seem pretty douchey all around. Must be the 7 jeans that come standard in the gloveboxes.

Porsche not so much. They are more mid-life crisis cars, and from what I have seen, Porsche drivers don't all seem like douche bags.

9. whodini

Oi! We're not douchebags! We are just passive-aggressive due to Toyota acting like we don't exist [​IMG]

Shoe and I are now duly insulted. Douchebag [​IMG]

Shut up and drink your Stella, 'bag.
    hey now, let's not get 3-series and pink sweaters confused... [​IMG]

mental note... be sure waiter knows booze for all members of the group goes on Who's credit card...

I thought they only sold pink sweaters in the DC area at BMW dealerships...

And as my first public non-'bag act, I'd like to buy the first round.

10. Miguel Antonio

Miguel Antonio Senior member

Please, let's define douchebag. Then let's discuss if the definition of douchebag is similar to that of a BMW driver.

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Please, let's define douchebag.....

Well, we need to start somewhere. What does Whodini drive? At least we'll have one verifiable datapoint that way [​IMG]

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Yet another reason I want to move somewhere I don't need a car.

Jon.

I thought you were a BMW owner?

Anyway, there's a Freedom apt opening up later this year.

13. whodini

Well, we need to start somewhere. What does Whodini drive? At least we'll have one verifiable datapoint that way [​IMG]
    I drive a blue Celica... [​IMG]

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I drive a blue Celica... [​IMG]
    See, I always thought there was something fundamentally wrong with people that want a Celica but get it in blue. I guess I can now add douchebaggery to the list. (aka you got my car's colour wrong, mio amico, heh)

15. whodini

...but then I painted it silver.

Actually, I either drive a Corolla or a RX330, whichever's left in the driveway.