• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BMW Radio Question

millionaire75

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question so forgive me. I recently drove a loaner 2006 3 series while my car was getting some work done and noticed that the radio had the song title readout on the display. I don't seem to have that on my 2006 330 and can't seem to find anything in the owner's manual regarding this. Anybody know if this is a standard feature or did the loaner have some sort of upgrade?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
This may be a dumb question so forgive me. I recently drove a loaner 2006 3 series while my car was getting some work done and noticed that the radio had the song title readout on the display. I don't seem to have that on my 2006 330 and can't seem to find anything in the owner's manual regarding this. Anybody know if this is a standard feature or did the loaner have some sort of upgrade?

I think its a function of the radio stations you listen to. I notice that some will display song titles and artists, while others do not. Perhaps the station you tuned to was one of those that did not? I am fairly sure this is not an enhanced option.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75

There should be a RDS/PTY button on the radio.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard feature. Depends what station you are on or for CDs how you have the tags set up.

Cavalier

Reaction score
my E46 even has that feature.... depends on the station.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What everyone else said.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my 2007 328xi has this, it depends if the radio station sends HD headers in the waves

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't say too specifically, but the song title stuff is part of the RDS, or Radio Data System. As I understand it, and with some help from Wikipedia, the RDS overlays a bit of digital info over the analog FM signal, and can therefore convey a short bit of text, including information about the radio station itself and the track being broadcast. Some stations make greater or lesser use of it, and of course your radio has to do something with it for it to display on your screen. It is distinct from digital radio, which has only been around for a year or two now. I saw RDS radios, if I recall correctly, 10 years ago.

I find it hard to imagine your 2006 Bimmer doesn't have any RDS capabilities, but anything is possible. It's pretty standard even in most American cars. However, some of the BMW radios are pretty booty - I've owned '89, '96, and '07 BMWs and I'd say only the '07 has a decent system.

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your car should definitely have the RDS option. Check your owner's manual.

I have an 07 335xi, and the RDS works fine for me.

As for comments on BMW sound systems, the standard system is generally quite poor. They really sucker you into buying the premium sound option, which comes standard on 330s, 335s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads