1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

BMW moving to S/C's and turbos

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Renault78law, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

pretty drastic idiological change for BMW. good move?

2. j

j Senior member Admin

Awesome, finally. I hope they bring all this stuff over. The giant-engine gas guzzler race is really disgusting to watch IMO - I hope this puts some shame into the other German companies. I can't say how it will do for their market etc., but I think it's a responsible move.

The BER thing is exactly the same thing I thought up quite a while back when I heard about the first hybrids - I figured with some programming help it wouldn't be that hard to retrofit this to an older car. The article doesn't explain it well, but I am assuming what they mean is that when the driver hits the brake pedal, the alternator clutches hard to brake the engine, thus helping to slow the car while also converting the forward motion into energy put into the battery. The "stop start" system I have started doing manually at really long traffic lights and draw bridges. [​IMG] I really don't see the point of sitting there paying oil companies while I sit and listen to the radio.

Bayerische 4 life.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Funny, since it was BMW with the 400 bhp M5 that started this insane horsepower race.

At least they realized the error of their ways and have started to move towards more logical engine designs.

You would think that the green party in Germany would have passed legislation to put an end to all this horsepower nonsense years ago…especially since the cars are limited to 155 mph.

Jon.

4. A Y

A Y Senior member

I don't think it's a drastic ideological change for BMW. They've been looking at green technologies for a while, like their hydrogen engine which started with the E38 7 series, and their 6 cylinder engines have been getting 30 MPG on the freeway for quite a while now. Putting performance into unlikely places has been their MO, and this is a good move: making cleaner cars that are still fun to drive.

--Andre

5. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

Funny, since it was BMW with the 400 bhp M5 that started this insane horsepower race.

At least they realized the error of their ways and have started to move towards more logical engine designs.

You would think that the green party in Germany would have passed legislation to put an end to all this horsepower nonsense years ago...especially since the cars are limited to 155 mph.

Jon.

Well, one of the first things the Greens did when they came into government was passing a new tax called Eco-tax to add on the existing taxes on gas. This tax was raised several times over the years. By now we pay about 6.15 USD per gallon of gas in germany. One would think that that is an incentive for people to buy smaller cars- in fact a frien dof mine has a 3 liter/ 100 km car from Volkswagen called the Lupo. That's pretty neat, when you see that that's almost 80 miles per gallon of diesel (which is cheaper around here than gas). So, people are driving a lot more fuel efficient cars around here, and a lot less of it becuase we have a great public transportation system.

The limitation to 250 km/h is from the industry itself btw. because they said that no one really needs more than that. It's not that hard to get around that though and a lot of car manufacturers have options where this limitation doesn't exist.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well, one of the first things the Greens did when they came into government was passing a new tax called Eco-tax to add on the existing taxes on gas. This tax was raised several times over the years. By now we pay about 6.15 USD per gallon of gas in germany. One would think that that is an incentive for people to buy smaller cars- in fact a frien dof mine has a 3 liter/ 100 km car from Volkswagen called the Lupo. That's pretty neat, when you see that that's almost 80 miles per gallon of diesel (which is cheaper around here than gas). So, people are driving a lot more fuel efficient cars around here, and a lot less of it becuase we have a great public transportation system.

The limitation to 250 km/h is from the industry itself btw. because they said that no one really needs more than that. It's not that hard to get around that though and a lot of car manufacturers have options where this limitation doesn't exist.

The "˜super cars' from these companies tend not to limit their cars, thus the SLR is not limited to 155 mph but the CL65 AMG is.

Jon.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Did anyone else see the pics of the new 3-series (E92) coupe? I think it will be the first Beh Em Vay car to use the new 3.0 Bi-Turbo I6.

Jon.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

9. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

I doubt that an AMG would be limited as it is a tuned car. I mean, that's the whole point of buying an AMG, isn't it? Still, even with an R6 or so I simply don't see the need to go any faster than 250 km/h.

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I doubt that an AMG would be limited as it is a tuned car. I mean, that's the whole point of buying an AMG, isn't it? Still, even with an R6 or so I simply don't see the need to go any faster than 250 km/h.
    Believe it.

11. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

Okay, holy sh... I just looked it up and the AMG would make 330 km/h without that limitation. Isn't most of the fun being pressed in the seat by the sheer force behind the engine rather than the speed? But again, I guess if you wanted the car to be unlocked they could do that with a nice surcharge (and some sort of if-you-kill-yourself-its-your-own-fault-guarantee). Not really in the market for such a car right now, though (I guess even if I had the money I'd go with a 2006 Audi S6 station waggon).