• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bmw E39

bcate3

Reaction score
BMWs are in the SF air. I'm looking at an '01 540i Sport, manual, with less than 50K miles. Any comments or intel on problem areas, ownership experience or web resources would be greatly appreciated.

micbain

Reaction score
I have no intel on it - but just wanted to say that is my favorite 5-series of all time. Such a sweet looking car.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Arguably the best looking sedan BMW ever made. If you can find one in excellent condition, it's really worth it. Be forewarned though, it's expensive to fix...not used Ferrari level, but expensive nonetheless.

Jon.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by micbain
I have no intel on it - but just wanted to say that is my favorite 5-series of all time. Such a sweet looking car.

I totally agree. That is an awesome body style. I think I want to pick up an E39 M5with low miles in a few years.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to what's already been said. The E39 540i 6-speed is one of my favorite BMWs ever made. It's an extremely balanced and wellfooted car. If I need a 4-door and sporty car, it'd be on my very short list.

The maintenance is expensive, but no really less than for other BMWs. The 5-series are fairly reliable cars, but like all BMWs, they cost money to run. As far as luxury cars are concern, though, they don't cost more than what the other brands cost to maintain.

whallyden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Arguably the best looking sedan BMW ever made...Be forewarned though, it's expensive to fix

x2

FWIW, I think I've read the high(er) strung motor in M5 of the same vintage has been less reliable over time.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whallyden
x2

FWIW, I think I've read the high(er) strung motor in M5 of the same vintage has been less reliable over time.

but its soooo sweet - just look at it!!

I think with some of the older BMW's - they maybe more suitable for driving evenings/weekends rather than every day to and from work. I think if they're properly maintained they'd do a great job in this role.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a gorgeous body style that I still enjoy seeing on the highway. The e39 M5 is phenomenal.

I've had two 5 series and put over 230,000 miles on the last one I owned.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will agree with all that's been said here---the E39 is an all-time great sedan, just a phenomenally well-engineered machine in nearly every version they made it. The E39 M5 is and will always be one of my favorite cars of all time.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
540i is an excellent automobile. I'm looking at an E36 M3 myself, my favorite M3 and growing rarer by the day.

grabarz

Reaction score
yeah, M3 is old, but it has a real spirit. I'm looking for this model too.

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
I've got an 02 e39 540i

Issues

e39 specific
- Radiator needs replacing @ 50/75K - ~700 with parts and labor in DC

- The rain channel gets clogged, so if you don't clean them out rain water will travel into the floor area of your rear seats

- The nose sits kinda low, and you'll notice that the rubber underneath the bumper will hang off (you see it on a lot of other cars)

- 18 mpg in the city

- it's wickedly fast. 3 tickets in 1 a year.

- My insurance more than doubled , the 540 is a sports car, but the other 5 series are not. (prior to the tickets)

- the way the windows are seated in the doors, I think it leads to rattle. Some piece in the assembly wears out fast.

bmw general
- the electronics - pixels disappear and reappear

- oil changes are 1nce a year (per the manual and dealership) 6X as much the civic ex that it replaced (yeah law school) - 120

Great car, but it's really wasted living here. I drive on the weekends, and very rarely over 75. (DMV is a police state)

Tastethesoup

Reaction score
Have you driven it? I'd say get it! You won't be sorry.

I bought a manual 540i last year and am glad I made the purchase (from a E34 525).
If it's the one in the picture, its already got the angel eye headlights, m-tech kit, and m parallel rims that people in pre 2001 5-series spend big money to get.

As far as resources, you can check out bimmerfest.com and bimmerforums.com.. They each have dedicated e39 sub-forums. And, Roadfly (http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/) is a good source for mechanical information.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads