• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BMW 335i Coupe

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen it in person and really like it. I still don't think a little 3 series is worth the kind of money they charge.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I've seen it in person and really like it. I still don't think a little 3 series is worth the kind of money they charge.

It's a lot of money, but fortunately they do offer a lot of options, so if you want a basic car, its not ridiculous money.. its just a bit overpriced.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is it a step backwards? As I recall when the e46 came out the e36 owners said the same thing. Times change.

From what I can tell they are giving owners what they want, a somewhat understated exterior that is more refined than the e46, a nicer interior, a Twin Turbo option on the coupe and sedan, more power and torque in all the models with similar MPG numbers. If the QC increases with this model I won't be able to see how it could be worse.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
How is it a step backwards? As I recall when the e46 came out the e36 owners said the same thing. Times change.

From what I can tell they are giving owners what they want, a somewhat understated exterior that is more refined than the e46, a nicer interior, a Twin Turbo option on the coupe and sedan, more power and torque in all the models with similar MPG numbers. If the QC increases with this model I won't be able to see how it could be worse.

I have to disagree with you here. The interiors of the e46 is very similarly designed to the e36. The quality of both are about the same as well. I have owned both, and when I moved from the e36 to the e46, I actually thought of it as a move up, not a lateral or backward one. Now, the first thing you notice with the e90 is the lack of a wrap-around dashboard. I don't think this is what the owners want, at least for me personally. Second, the plastics used in the new generation just doesn't have the same tactile feel to them. This is definitely a step down considering how the fit and finish of the e46 was executed. Third, wtf is wrong with that ass?!? I cringe everytime I see it.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evidently, the M3 will look like the Z4. The pics I saw were very nice.

Lamo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Ok, ok, it's not horrible, but it is a big step backwards from the E46.

Jon.

ah, jon, still hating on bangle?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lamo
ah, jon, still hating on bangle?
I'm not Jon, but why not. Bungle clearly struck again. I feel for all of the BMW fanboys out there, having to fall back on the kind of lame arguments that Detroit rednecks have used since the 1960s: it may be ugly. Driving it might feel like ********** blindfolded with thick gloves on your hands and an entire pack of condoms sheathing your member. But goddamit, y'all, it got MORE POOOWWWWW'R! (As if that matters one ******* bit in real use on real roads.) And I think there have been some typos around here, with all of the praise for the E46's qualities as a driver's car. (The E46's engines got better, or at least more powerful, but due to electronic controls that are still in their infancy it lost a great deal of driver feedback in the process.) The E36 appears to be the last RWD BMW to be designed as a driver's tool instead of a gelatinous hulk. (I've owned neither - I have better taste than that - but have driven plenty of both.) Ironically, considering that the E46 was such a numb pig, I don't find its interior to be an improvement over the E36, either. At least in the cabrios, the E36 interior has proven more durable over time.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
I'm not Jon, but why not. Bungle clearly struck again.

I feel for all of the BMW fanboys out there, having to fall back on the kind of lame arguments that Detroit rednecks have used since the 1960s: it may be ugly. Driving it might feel like ********** blindfolded with thick gloves on your hands and an entire pack of condoms sheathing your member. But goddamit, y'all, it got MORE POOOWWWWW'R! (As if that matters one ******* bit in real use on real roads.)

And I think there have been some typos around here, with all of the praise for the E46's qualities as a driver's car. (The E46's engines got better, or at least more powerful, but due to electronic controls that are still in their infancy it lost a great deal of driver feedback in the process.) The E36 appears to be the last RWD BMW to be designed as a driver's tool instead of a gelatinous hulk. (I've owned neither - I have better taste than that - but have driven plenty of both.)Ironically, considering that the E46 was such a numb pig, I don't find its interior to be an improvement over the E36, either. At least in the cabrios, the E36 interior has proven more durable over time.

Yes right you drive a Mazda Miata the epitome of taste in a two seater...zoom zoom zoom...

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31578

Looks like these things are making some pretty respectable power. It also appears that the tune is fairly safe, seeing as BMW shipped these cars running EXTREMELY lean from the factory, and Shiv added a bunch of fuel to keep the pistons in one piece.

My wishlist:

335xi Sedan w/ some sort of option for a coupe or M styling package
Dinan turbo-back exhaust, intake, and throttle body w/ matching Dinan ECU tune
Dinan adjustable struts w/ springs and swaybars

That would be a fun, factory-warrantied car to throw around the track and daily drive. I'd even wager to say it would be quicker than an E92 M3 (stock) for less money.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I'd even wager to say it would be quicker than an E92 M3 (stock) for less money.
Alright, I'll take your bet. How much do you want to wager? The new e92 will have a minimum of 400hp, and it'll positively weigh less than the 335xi. You'll have a bit of an advantage because of the AWD, but you have to lug more weight around and have less power. All that Dinan stuff you listed won't give you much power, unless you get a bigger turbo. Even Dinan says so themselves, BMW's tuning is already getting so much from the setup that they won't be able to improve much. It'll be a nice package to get around in, but I wouldn't go around trying to hunt down e92 M3s if I were you. I'll tell you my personal experience. I bought an e46 330ci, while my brother got an e46 M3. My car was a little over 40k new and his just a little over 50k new. I could spend 10 grand on my car and still couldn't get the same setup that he got stock. That 108hp difference is impossible to fill unless I: (a) get an engine transplant; or (b) get a huge ass turbo. Even the cheaper option (b) will cost at least 8 grand; and we haven't even touched the suspension setup.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Yes right you drive a Mazda Miata the epitome of taste in a two seater...zoom zoom zoom...

Indeed, I drive a car designed for somebody who knows how to drive rather than an trashy overweight, overpowered sensory deprivation chamber whose only redeeming virtues are a badge that makes snobs smile and numbers that sell magazines.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed, I drive a car designed for somebody who knows how to drive rather than an trashy overweight, overpowered sensory deprivation chamber whose only redeeming virtues are a badge that makes snobs smile and numbers that sell magazines.
Bit of a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've heard the same thing out of our copy boy who competitively drives a Neon on the weekend.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Alright, I'll take your bet. How much do you want to wager?

The new e92 will have a minimum of 400hp, and it'll positively weigh less than the 335xi. You'll have a bit of an advantage because of the AWD, but you have to lug more weight around and have less power. All that Dinan stuff you listed won't give you much power, unless you get a bigger turbo. Even Dinan says so themselves, BMW's tuning is already getting so much from the setup that they won't be able to improve much.

It'll be a nice package to get around in, but I wouldn't go around trying to hunt down e92 M3s if I were you. I'll tell you my personal experience. I bought an e46 330ci, while my brother got an e46 M3. My car was a little over 40k new and his just a little over 50k new. I could spend 10 grand on my car and still couldn't get the same setup that he got stock. That 108hp difference is impossible to fill unless I: (a) get an engine transplant; or (b) get a huge ass turbo. Even the cheaper option (b) will cost at least 8 grand; and we haven't even touched the suspension setup.

Forced Induction really changes the game, here. E46 330 v E46 M3 just doesn't apply. There is no way the E92 M3 is going to make that much torque on a low displacement V8. The numbers flying around are something like 400-420hp and 300-320 ft-lb of torque. Dinan aside (since they have yet to release anything for the 335), Shiv was able to take the car with a hacked together catback from 278/287 to 331/347 after a couple weeks of tuning. That is a huge upgrade with lots more potential. I'd bet with a turboback and tune, the 335 puts down similar HP and a lot more torque (maybe even 50-75ft-lb more) than the E92 M3. I'll grant you the 335xi will likely be a bit heavier, but that torque is just hard to beat. (You've heard the saying a thousand times.. HP sells cars, torque wins races... (unless, of course, your in an F1 car revving to 19k.. ))

I drive around a turbo awd car that puts down 302/356 with a turboback and 100 octane tune (same brand dyno as above), so I can only imagine what the 335 will do with some more dyno time, some better gas (Shiv only uses 91), and a free flowing exhaust, intake, and throttle body.

All of this speculation and magazing racing is useless, I realize; however, I've always felt that should I be ready to buy a new car, there'd be nothing out there for me. It's nice to see that there may be some options out there in the near future.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads