• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BMW 3 Series vs BMW 5 series

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignoring the price difference, would you rather drive a 3 series sedan or a 5 series sedan? Why? 3 series
E90_Wallpaper_05_640x480.jpg
5 series
E60LCI_Wallpaper_3_640x480.jpg

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd 3er, they fit into my demographic and style more than the 5, besides, better handling and less curb weight. The only 5 I'd want to own would be an M5. Also, I don't need the cargo or passenger capacity of the 5er since I very rarely have a passenger. In a perfect world, someone like myself should be driving a Z4 M coupe for practicality, performance and rarity sake.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a sedan, the 5. The 3-series looks funny with 4 doors. IMO. The 5 series has to be one of the best handling sedans of it's size.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've owned 5's and have driven 3's as loaner cars. Space, power, and handling were all better in the 5's compared to the 3's. During my ownership of each 5, I never once wished I had gotten a 3 instead.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I've borrowed my employers 550 and it's epic!, unfortunately I can't afford one and would struggle to purchase the 530. I would opt for the 330/335 over a 525/528 though.

Ideal car the 530 Wagon.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't tried the new generation-- or any version of a BMW since maybe 7years ago. At the time, I found that the cockpit of the 5 was built for someone proportioned completely different from me. Armrests, window ledges, wheel placement-- all wrong. Bespoke tailored for someone else.
By contrast, the 3 was much more comfortable than its size would have suggested.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I've owned 5's and have driven 3's as loaner cars. Space, power, and handling were all better in the 5's compared to the 3's. During my ownership of each 5, I never once wished I had gotten a 3 instead.
What 5 vs. what 3? There are many different variants. A 550 is faster than a 325i, but a 335i is way faster than any 525i or 530. Did the two cars you compared have sports packages? You need to know the cars before you compare. Also, new M3 versus new M5 the M3 will handle better.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I should have mentioned that I'm talking about the E46 sedan, don't care for the E90's.

No way handling is better in the 5 than the 3er of the same engine capacity, the 5er is much heavier, thus not as agile as the 3er, that's if we're comparing apples to apples and not M5 to 325i.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the new models pictured above - the 3. I think the "new" 5 series looks like ass.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
An 8-series with a carphone.

+1, one of the most under-appreciated yet somewhat mainstream cars I can think of. I'd love to come across a well-maintained 840i in a few years when I can afford a second car.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The e90 3-series is much better looking than the e60 5-series. With that said, if you do get a new 5-series, don't be one of those people that gets the smallest engine, like the 528. It's a big, heavy 5-series, at least get the 535.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Defintely a 3. Less weight, more agile, more engaging to drive and cheaper. I don't normally need to carry more than one passenger on extended trips, so the relatively small increase of space in the 5 is of no use. Actually a 1-series couple would be even better, if only they weren't so hideously ugly.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have driven both a lot and honestly I just love the way the 3 handles. They really "killed it" on that design.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads