• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BMW 1M -- I want!!!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
well always thought it's 2002 then E30, which was the one to go win all the races?

The E30 M3 won ~1400 races in ~1600 days; so it might be the one you're thinking of.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
The E30 M3 won ~1400 races in ~1600 days; so it might be the one you're thinking of.

haha, never mind then...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fran. Chances are it will be near 3500 lbs, at which point, you have to ask why?

Even if it's lighter, what is the point? If you want a small sporty car that's light, there are plenty of much better choices out there.

--Andre

Sherlockian

Reaction score
^ Agreed.

Maybe I'm going off on a tangent here, but as a regular trackday driver of a mk1 Lotus Elise (a little over 700kg/1600lbs), I feel somewhat disappointed at the way modern cars seem to bludgeon their way to performance - huge BHP figures, but ever-increasing weight, bigger wheels, brakes, wider tyres - what ever happened to a nice simple pure driving machine for the enthusiast?

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
^ Agreed.

Maybe I'm going off on a tangent here, but as a regular trackday driver of a mk1 Lotus Elise (a little over 700kg/1600lbs), I feel somewhat disappointed at the way modern cars seem to bludgeon their way to performance - huge BHP figures, but ever-increasing weight, bigger wheels, brakes, wider tyres - what ever happened to a nice simple pure driving machine for the enthusiast?

Customers wanted power windows and seats along with heated seats for their delicate asses along with elaborate sound systems. Porsche had that option with a few 911s back 20 years ago. You could order a stripped down version for racing on Sunday and commute to work in it during the week.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
http://germancarscene.com/wp-content...m1-26-3-08.jpg

For a second I thought you guys were talking about this M1 from the 1979-80. Ok I'm really dating myself now.

I was thinking the same thing. Back in my BMW car club of america days I coveted that M1 but had to settle for the 528i. The old 850 (1993?) seemed to me to be the logical successor.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think many of you guys are missing the point of this car (the 1 series M). The M3 was never meant to be an out and out race car in the production versions. It was supposed to be a daily driver that could hold it's own on the track. For any given generation, there is almost no other car on the planet that can seat 4 people, have a usable trunk, be under 100k, and be as fast as the M3 is.

I haven't driven the current generation AMG C or the IS-F so I don't want to weigh in there, but I think the auto press has. The problem is that as the cars they were based on became bloated, so too did the M variants. I applaud BMW for wanting to once more produce a light(er)weight M.

I am almost certain that the next M3 will be marginally lighter than the current version, have a turbo I6, and be the last M car with a manual option. That's speculation, but until then, for one year, BMW is trying to make right again with the 1 series M. Consider it a reboot of their M-Power lineage.

Also, who cares if BMW makes a X5/6 M? I'm told that Porsche makes a SUV and (gasp) a 4 door sedan these days. Does that make their 911s any less legitimate?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
For any given generation, there is almost no other car on the planet that can seat 4 people, have a usable trunk, be under 100k, and be as fast as the M3 is.

Ever heard of the Audi RS4? There's an RS5 coming that should also be an animal of a car.

Oh yeah, there's that other beast from Japan called the GT-R.

streetminimal

Reaction score
It goes good but it's as ugly as ****. Who's idea was it to put that pattern **** on the car?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
Ever heard of the Audi RS4? There's an RS5 coming that should also be an animal of a car. Oh yeah, there's that other beast from Japan called the GT-R.
You're just proving ramuman's point, which I entirely agree with. None of those cars have the finesse or driver engagement of the BMW M3. The Audi RS4 and RS5 are four-wheel drive cars based on front-wheel drive chassis; the GT-R is undoubtedly faster than an M3, but it's also much heavier, much more expensive, and driving it is reputedly similar to playing a video game. The point of an M3, or any great BMW, for that matter, is not to be the all-all sportiest car for the price. The point is to offer a unique blend of sportiness, driving entertainment, refinement, and day-to-day drivability. Of course, some of us just want to go the fastest for the money. In that case, it's hard to beat a Corvette. But what idiot cross-shops a Corvette and an M3?
Originally Posted by streetminimal
It goes good but it's as ugly as ****. Who's idea was it to put that pattern **** on the car?
facepalm.gif
That's camouflage to disguise the car before its release.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the 1 series is a "cute" car, but more often than not, its a woman with big plastic sunglasses driving it..

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I think the 1 series is a "cute" car, but more often than not, its a woman with big plastic sunglasses driving it..

Who cares? The same can be said of the Boxster, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an awesome sports car. If you're looking for an image car, the 1M will obviously make zero sense to you.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Who cares? The same can be said of the Boxster, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an awesome sports car. If you're looking for an image car, the 1M will obviously make zero sense to you.

I don't know, there are probably much better options to be had for the money than either the 1 or the Boxster if one is indeed, not preoccupied with image.

That said, when I called the 1 series a cute car, I was not trying to be dismissive. It does have its appeal, but cute is not something I personally look for in a car. If it were me, I'd probably spend the same money (as the M version of the 1) and buy the 335i instead.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I don't know, there are probably much better options to be had for the money than either the 1 or the Boxster if one is indeed, not preoccupied with image.
Like what? There are faster cars for less money, but they don't handle as well, aren't as refined, aren't as fun to drive, or aren't as drivable day-to-day. If all you see in a car is 0-60 times and lateral grip numbers, that's your problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads