• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BMW 1M -- I want!!!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The E9x M3 is ridiculously fast. All of the current BMWs are. Chew on this: the X6M laps the Ring faster than an E46 M3, carrying 2000 more lbs. In that respect, BMW has not lost their mojo, but in terms of balance of attributes and their market, they've moved away from where enthusiasts would like them to be. Too bad we don't usually buy their most expensive cars, or even a significant fraction of their cars.
That's exactly it, though. Current BMWs are certainly faster than previous ones, despite the added weight. Power has gone through the roof, drivetrain and suspension technology has gotten more sophisticated, and double-clutch transmissions knock several tenths off of 0-60 times. However, the balance is not the same as before.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A couple sources are indicating it will be 350hp out of an N54-based engine.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
The question then would be how the weight "savings" change the front/rear weight bias and handling?
devil.gif

I think the badge on the back that will read "///M 1 Series Coupe S-Drive" will throw off the 50:50 anyway.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You don't like the 1-series interior? Come on--it absolutely shames the EVO in that department. Quality- and design-wise it is on par with the 3-series, but less spacious, and more sporty.

Here's a 135i interior with all the BMW Performance upgrades. The M interior should be similarly awesome. And all 1-series interiors look best without the navigation system.

135perfint1.jpg

135perfint2.jpg

135perfint3.jpg

those performance parts are tacky as ****
the psudeocarbon are shiney and plasticy as hell and look like some dixon's addon
and the racing steeringwheel makes only some sort of sense on the track, on the street it is even more stupid

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But the cupholder really adds to the racing cred.

--Andre

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
But the cupholder really adds to the racing cred.

--Andre

Cupholder? I thought that was one of those flying gyroscope toys.
laugh.gif

x-zylo-ultra-throw.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
the psudeocarbon are shiney and plasticy as hell and look like some dixon's addon
The carbon fiber is real--and, to be fair, carbon fiber is plasticky.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Cupholder? I thought that was one of those flying gyroscope toys.
laugh.gif

x-zylo-ultra-throw.jpg

Maybe they can turn one of those upside down, and add more downforce.
bounce2.gif

The carbon fiber is real--and, to be fair, carbon fiber looks plasticky no matter what.

True. Carbon-fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) is the full name for carbon fiber. Essentially, it's a weave of carbon fibers held in some kind of plastic epoxy, but it still looks tacky in that kind of car.

--Andre

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
True. Carbon-fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) is the full name for carbon fiber. Essentially, it's a weave of carbon fibers held in some kind of plastic epoxy, but it still looks tacky in that kind of car.
It's no tackier than aluminum trim. Wood trim is arguably the most honest, as it has no pretensions toward performance, but it's also not entirely appropriate in a sportier, less luxurious car. At the end of the day, any choice is merely aesthetic decoration. I'd be fine with the carbon fiber it were representative of performance-oriented usage of the material elsewhere in the car.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's no tackier than aluminum trim. Wood trim is arguably the most honest, as it has no pretensions toward performance, but it's also not entirely appropriate in a sportier, less luxurious car. At the end of the day, any choice is merely aesthetic decoration. I'd be fine with the carbon fiber it were representative of performance-oriented usage of the material elsewhere in the car.
My problem with carbon fiber for trim pieces is several fold. First, they have a negative association with ricer mods. Second, their pattern is too complex and the pieces too shiny to simply be an unobtrusive trim piece like brushed Al or Ti and unlike either of those metals, it's very close to, but not the same color as the black plastic, making for a clusterfuck. Third, it hints at a high performance mod, but serves no performance purpose. In the end it is an aesthetic component and like all aesthetic components can really only be judged subjectively.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The carbon fiber is real--and, to be fair, carbon fiber is plasticky.
i know it is real, but it is so coated in plastic that it makes no difference. i've handled woven carbon that does not feel like the bmw ones, albeit for bike pieces.

the wood trim is also coated up the wazoo with plastic.
the nicest trim would be the piano black with the string insert from the individual packages

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
the wood trim is also coated up the wazoo with plastic.
the nicest trim would be the piano black with the string insert from the individual packages

The 1-series doesn't get the Individual customization options. There is a a choice of glossy black trim, but it's not the same as the piano black on higher-end BMWs--instead of lacquered wood, it's merely shiny black plastic with metallic flakes in it (disgusting, if you ask me).

I agree, though, the Individual piano trim with the white/cream inlay is gorgeous.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is this the thread where I come to disparage how "bloated" and "impure" BMWs have become and lament how I want to revert to the 1980s?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Is this the thread where I come to disparage how "bloated" and "impure" BMWs have become and lament how I want to revert to the 1980s?

Welcome. Pull up an SF-approved Eames chair.

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Welcome. Pull up an SF-approved Eames chair.

- B

Why, thank you, but I'm actually going to stay sitting here on my Louis Ghost, as I'm doing some work here on my Saarinen table. You'll be pleased to know I have not taken off my jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics