• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue suit - shoes color?

prowler13

Reaction score
So, was in a hurry to het a new suit for a wedding I am attending tomorrow. Got a blue Hugo Boss slim fit manfrotto super 110. Plan to wear it with a white cuffling shirt and a white hankerchief. Prob no tie, but will bring a nice blue/purple one just in case. The problem are the shoes, since I have no time to get new ones the choice comes down to high gloss (lacquered) black vs brown (tan) ones. The rest are either too informal or the color is way off for this combo. The common etiquette says brown, bit somehow this pair is too dull/ informal for my liking. The blacks....well seem too formal and the color combo is problematc.

P.s. sorry if the pics are bad, hope you get the general idea.

20180915_204807~2.jpeg
IMG-4d85aa4804d8469439c71ade402e8951-V~2.jpeg

MrBorland

Reaction score
Brown shoes...and wear the tie (a guest should show all the respect the bride & groom and the event deserve).

prowler13

Reaction score
What pushes me towards the black is the fact that the ceremony starts duting the day but its very much a night time affair. The celebration time starts in the evening and lasts till 12pm. Thats whats pushing me towards a more formal attire. And yes, you are prob right about the tie.

Chowkin

Reaction score
The black shoes - your brown ones are Derbys and ideally one would wear Oxfords with a suit, especially for formal occasions such as a wedding.

But if you insist on wearing the brown ones, give them a proper shine

prowler13

Reaction score
Like I said, the black is where Im leaning, not the brown. And a good shine is mandatory without saying for any shoe.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Great. Your black shoes are patent leather so a wipe with a damp cloth should suffice

Kilo11

Reaction score
My personal taste keeps me away from black shoes with grey and navy suits. I'd also like to second the recommendation that you wear a tie. Sport coat and trousers with no tie is easy, but (in my opinion) a tie should be worn with a proper suit- especially at a wedding.

Ark18

Reaction score
In general, the color combo would look better with the brown shoes for sure.
But if you want to go with the black shoes as they are more formal, I would look to combine it with white or light blue shirt + dark brown or dark red tie.

prowler13

Reaction score
In the end I went with the black oxfords, white cuffling shirt, hankerchief and tie. A different type of brown oxfords would have been best, but time was a factor so I will try to find a nice pair for the future. The brown shoes that were an initial option just couldnt cut it at a formal event. I tried them on, and just felt that somethning was lacking.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s a regional thing. In London and most American cities east of the Mississippi, black shoes are typically worn with navy suits. On the Continent, more brown. So it depends on where you live, or where you want people to think you live.

prowler13

Reaction score
Yes, black shoes + navy suits (or any black and blue combo for that matter) is considered bad etiquette here. Brown + blue is the norm. And yes, I am from "the continent" :D......but, having said that, some particular blue hues + black can go well together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads