• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue suede shoes

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you think of blue suede shoes, the shoes not the song? I'm thinking of a cap top oxford. Are they practical at all? Would they be acceptable under a suit?

I should add the pair I saw were dark, navy blue, if that makes a difference.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Acceptable in song only. Or maybe on women.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I should add the pair I saw were dark, navy blue, if that makes a difference.
No difference. Seriously bad idea. Unless you are in show business or some field where it pays be regarded as an eccentric. Even then it will still be a style faux pas. But I am something of a stickler for the old "rules."

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the sober words. I saw a pair at the Crockett & Jones sale and they looked great, but I had the feeling they wouldn't be very practical. I'll let them sit on the shelf, where I'd guess they've been for a while.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flusser opines that shoes in leather other than black or brown looks fake and contrived (they "never connoted much class or taste" and are "stylishly sophomoric" and are never appropriate unless they're in suede or velvet "in such status-conferring classics as the Gucci buckled slip-on, Belgian loafer, or Prince Albert dress slipper" -- Style and the Man, p. 42), and Manton obviously agrees with him. I don't. I happen to like good burgundy leather, even leather that's not shell cordovan. Heck, I even have seen green shoes that I like. Navy shoes, either in smooth or grained leather or in suede, can be stunning. It would be a bit silly to make them the backbone of your shoe collection, but there's nothing wrong or tasteless about having a pair or two. I might wear a navy suede Prince Albert slipper with a midnight blue tuxedo (although I would more readily opt for scarlet suede), but I don't think that I would wear navy suede cap-toes with a suit. Something more casual would be more appropriate.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have no principled objection to navy or bottle green or burgundy velvet slippers, though I am not sure I would ever wear them. Something in the back of my head tells me they should only be worn at a country house or to stag events at a London club. Amazingly, I rarely get invited to either.

I do think that only shell cordovan looks good in burgundy. (I have two pairs.) And I shudder at the thought of suede navy captoes.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And I shudder at the thought of suede navy captoes.
biggrin.gif
To each his own. That just leaves more navy suede for me. I'd probably steer clear of cap-toes, though. Navy suede looks better in a wing-tip, a plain-toe blucher (either shoe or ankle boot), or in a Venetian loafer).

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy shoes in general are difficult to pair with clothing, in my experience. My husband has a pair, and he doesn't wear them often. They work with dark blue jeans (they are not suede). We've tried many combinations, and inevitably put them back in the closet. I'd examine my wardrobe and imagine before buying.

ViroBono

Reaction score
Blue shoes - oh dear.

Gatsby

Reaction score
Funny we're on this topic because there seems to be a really good selection of colored leather hi-end shoes in Japan. Which, if you've ever seen the fashion in Japan, isn't especially surprising.

Bic, if you're actually interested in those shoes I think they have something similar at B1 of Men's Isetan in Shinjuku (just there yesterday). Probably not a Dover but the same color I believe. They have some EGs on 'sale' but that's just a 50% mark-up instead of their normal 100%...

Glad to hear that black suede is OK because there's a pair of limited edition C&J handgrades in black suede with contrasting white stitching and a medallion. Subtle yet striking in my opinion. But is US $800 worth it for C&J handgrades? Sigh, so much to buy.. so little money..

naturlaut

Reaction score
I'm with Mr. Jcusey here. I absolutely adore the Weston 180 in navy or blue suede. I have also seen the Green in green with matching belt by Green in green. I may probably won't find any use for blue dress shoes (cap toe or brogue), but casual loafers in blue --- definitely.

ViroBono

Reaction score
I can think of no occasion when a gentleman would wear blue shoes. Brown suede goes perfectly with all my startling cords. I do, however, freely admit to being somewhat old-fashioned.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I think I am siding more towards dark navy than blue (as in royal blue to sky blue).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads