• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue shoe polish / separate brush

flx

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought some new beautiful dark blue derbys and wanted to apply some initial coat of polish on them to provide a base layer of protection (unless you'l tell me now that its completely useless and I should just polish them after some wear & tear)

Usually I have a brush for black polish and a brush for brown polish (which right now are still brand new since I just bought a new set).

Since I don't own any blue polish I was planning on using colorless shoepolish on the shoes. Is this a good idea or should I specifically get blue shoe polish? They're pretty dark (almost black) anyway so I'm not even sure if the available blue polishs (e.g. Saphir Navy) wouldn't even be too light.

I'm also quite unsure which brush I should use ?

Since they're very dark do I use the brush for the black polish ? Do I use the brush for the brown polish for all colorless applications as well? Or should I just buy a completely new brush just for colorless polish. Will it affect anything if I use the new brown brush for colorless polish now and brown polish afterwards ? As far as I understood it's only important not to reuse the black brush on other colors to avoid streaks.

Thanks a lot for your answer in advance!

papado

Reaction score
Hi, I've just bought some new beautiful dark blue derbys and wanted to apply some initial coat of polish on them to provide a base layer of protection (unless you'l tell me now that its completely useless and I should just polish them after some wear & tear)

Usually I have a brush for black polish and a brush for brown polish (which right now are still brand new since I just bought a new set).

Since I don't own any blue polish I was planning on using colorless shoepolish on the shoes. Is this a good idea or should I specifically get blue shoe polish? They're pretty dark (almost black) anyway so I'm not even sure if the available blue polishs (e.g. Saphir Navy) wouldn't even be too light.

I'm also quite unsure which brush I should use ?

Since they're very dark do I use the brush for the black polish ? Do I use the brush for the brown polish for all colorless applications as well? Or should I just buy a completely new brush just for colorless polish. Will it affect anything if I use the new brown brush for colorless polish now and brown polish afterwards ? As far as I understood it's only important not to reuse the black brush on other colors to avoid streaks.

Thanks a lot for your answer in advance!

Wax polish doesn't provide a lot of pigmentation, so even if the saphir navy may be lighter than your shoes it won't cause any significant color change. I'd argue you could use black polish for this initial preparation as it can add a smokiness to the color. One light coat of black wax polish will not permanently change the color of your shoes to black, plus you can use the brush for black.

In general I would say to keep brushes for similar colors--a dark navy shoe is fine it you get a little black polish on it and a black shoe is fine if there is some navy polish. Once you go into browns, and especially if you have any tan shoes, the darker colors could cause that streaking you speak of. Now I've never had the streaking to a point which you couldn't just buff off anyway so I think you don't need too many brushes.

I have one for black, one for browns, and one for burgundy. When I use navy polish on my black shoes I use the black brush.

Krown

Reaction score
I would use Saphir Medaille d´ Or pommadier neutral cream

Reactions: flx
Reaction score
Papado gives some good advice here. As far as brushes I agree with him; i err on the side of caution though, NEVER mix dark and light (so I would have one for neutral), but also keep the color families separated (for instance, I consider Mahogany to be in the burgundy/red family so I would not use the brush with either dark brown or black). Navy and black are to me fine to mix.

Kirby Allison has a good video on how to initially care for quality shoes in terms of shining and other work. Some might argue that it is overkill, but at the very lest I would always put at least cream polish on my shoes before wearing.

Reactions: flx

flx

Reaction score
I've already answered this over in the shoecare thread but I've put neutral polish on there and everything turned out great. Unfortunately my foot got injured and now there's some small stain inside but thats another story. Thanks for all your great replies!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads