• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue Ridge Parkway

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spending a few days in the mountains, and decided to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway in southern NC. Thought I'd post some of the pics I took. If any of you find yourself down that way and enjoy driving for the sake of driving and some beautiful scenery, I highly recommend it.

Things were not looking good first thing, thick fog everywhere does not make for good driving conditions on mountain roads:

brp1.jpg

But the fog burned away by the time I got here:

brp5.jpg

There are literally dozens of these on the BRP:

brp6.jpg

But if you get motion sickness or are afraid of heights, not the best place to be, as there are some pretty sheer drop offs:

brp7.jpg

brp8.jpg

Snapped this pic with camera on my car, that formation behind me just looked too cool:

brp3.jpg

brp9.jpg

More of the terrain:

brp10.jpg

brp11.jpg

brp12.jpg

In all, it was a good day on an iconic stretch of American highway:

brp2.jpg

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Built during the Depression by FDR. Stimulus! Infastructure!

There are also a few twisty bits
blush.gif
Very popular with the car and motorcycle clubs out of Charlotte.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Built during the Depression by FDR. Stimulus! Infastructure!

There are also a few twisty bits
blush.gif
Very popular with the car and motorcycle clubs out of Charlotte.

For good reason.. Very thrilling ride on certain stretches.. I went miles and miles without seeing another car, other than those pulled over at the scenic overlooks.. I'd like to try Tail of the Dragon next..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Makes me homesick. A beautiful part of the country. Nice pics.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
For good reason.. Very thrilling ride on certain stretches.. I went miles and miles without seeing another car, other than those pulled over at the scenic overlooks.. I'd like to try Tail of the Dragon next..

That car was made for Tail of the Dragon !

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only problem is that stretch of highway may be one of the most heavily patrolled in the south! Still, I am sure its a blast even without death-defying speed, so its next.. I will post pictures when I do.. This actually was a great ride; drove all the way to Asheville, NC, and then back to Cherokee before crossing into TN near Gatlinburg. Much, much nicer than a day at the office..

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, I need to get up there and actually take some pictures with my new camera. Gotta wait for the salt to get off the roads, I think.

I get up there a few times a year. I'm familiar with the NC/TN/GA areas, 129 Tail of the Dragon, etc. Get up there either on personal vacations or car and motorcycle club rides. I usually haul around in my ratbike, I need to get the MR2-T up there one day....if I can avoid getting pulled over!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads