• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Blue printed ties for job interviews and formal business settings?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
1,959
Reaction score
2
From what I understand, the most sensible default job interview ties (for law, i-banking, accounting, etc.) would be a red or blue with small squares or dots, or solid or conservative stripe pattern.

What about small prints, like a number of Hermes or Ferragamo ties? I don't own any of those, but have a couple of favorite blue ties that just didn't seem formal enough for me when you want to look as formal as formal business wear gets, namely for job interviews.

The ties I first described are, incidentally, extremely hard to find on discount.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by josepidal
From what I understand, the most sensible default job interview ties (for law, i-banking, accounting, etc.) would be a red or blue with small squares or dots, or solid or conservative stripe pattern. What about small prints, like a number of Hermes or Ferragamo ties? I don't own any of those, but have a couple of favorite blue ties that just didn't seem formal enough for me when you want to look as formal as formal business wear gets, namely for job interviews. The ties I first described are, incidentally, extremely hard to find on discount.
I think it depends, but if it's something fairly neutral, like diamonds, or geometric designs, it's probably going to be fine, but if it's something cute like little frogs or something like that, save it for casual friday. For example, I think this is fine: http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...&Nu=Product+ID but this might be borderline: http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...&Nu=Product+ID
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
The first group of ties you mention are not hard to find at all. You can expand your horizons at the Polo sales you know so much about. Many stripes, neats, and solids to choose from. They are very widely available elsewhere, too, at all the seasonal sales. Probably discount stores and ebay, too, if you wish to look.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by whoopee
The first group of ties you mention are not hard to find at all. You can expand your horizons at the Polo sales you know so much about. Many stripes, neats, and solids to choose from. They are very widely available elsewhere, too, at all the seasonal sales. Probably discount stores and ebay, too, if you wish to look.

I'd agree, the traditional varsity stripe might be a good pickup, as well as solids. One of the coolest navy ties I've seen lately (besides the David Chu, which I hope to get on final cut near xmas) was the RLPL in solid navy, as well as the RLPL pin dot/polka dot in navy.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,118
Reaction score
1,113
I wouldn't wear any cute patterns to a job interview. Don't want the interviewing trying to figure out what's on your tie, rather than listening to what you say. A conservative interviewer also might see it as a sign you're frivolous/lack gravitas.

Some guys react very strongly to cute patterns, I've found.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
The RLPL navy pin dots and twill solids are among my favs, too. They're not the most lavishly constructed, but they perform.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by whoopee
The RLPL navy pin dots and twill solids are among my favs, too. They're not the most lavishly constructed, but they perform.

What do you guys think about silver ties for interviews, just out of curiosity? I've gone with it a number of times in business formal settings, and I think it would be appopriate if you weren't interviewing for a bank or something, but was curious what people's opinions were.

I think this might be the next tie I invest in.

 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,118
Reaction score
1,113
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
What do you guys think about silver ties for interviews, just out of curiosity? I've gone with it a number of times in business formal settings, and I think it would be appopriate if you weren't interviewing for a bank or something, but was curious what people's opinions were.

I find solid silver too much for daywear, in general. I sold a Charvet in silver because I never wore it.

I think the Carlo Franco is a handsome tie, and a good choice. Classic style.
 

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 26, 2004
Messages
13,141
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I find solid silver too much for daywear, in general. I sold a Charvet in silver because I never wore it.

I think the Carlo Franco is a handsome tie, and a good choice. Classic style.


Heh, I always wonder if it's going to look a bit slick but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a sales executive


I've been pairing it with light-medium blue herringbone shirts (CF) and solid navy/charcoal suits with black shoes so I don't think it's really on the flashy side though. Sometimes I went with electric/royal blue shirts, and thought it might have been a bit too much, though.
 

pejsek

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
938
Reaction score
5
I think a Ferragamo or Hermes repeat-motif print featuring frogs, beavers, or chipmunks would be perfect for the settings you describe. Maybe a tiger--if you're feeling like a go-getter!
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,855
I have an aversion to iconic brand ties for job interviews. Actually I have an aversion to iconic brand ties generally. However, sticking to the subject at hand, I would hesitate to wear Hermes or Ferragamo to a job interview. To the non-obsessed (i.e., people who, unlike a lot of us, do not know of or drool over Marinella, Drake, Nicky, etc.), these two brands are at the top of heap, price- and status-wise. Thus you might unwittingly engender unhelpful thoughts, such as "Who does this punk kid think he is, dressing like someone twice his age with ten times the income?" Unfair, to be sure, but life is often unfair.
 

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
1,959
Reaction score
2
Heh. Like I said, I don't own any of those "iconic" ties, but was looking for some way to describe small prints.

These ties can be had for a bit less on eBay, right, although there is always the "iconic" fake tie to be had as well.
 

epa

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2006
Messages
1,412
Reaction score
2
I believe to remember that I used the same printed Ferragamo tie (with horses) for interviews the last three times I tried to change my job. And I always got the job. Now, it may have had more to do with my qualifications than with the tie.
(In any case, I guess I should regard it as a "lucky tie" and save it, should I need to change my employment again in the future).
 

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
1,959
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Manton
"Who does this punk kid think he is, dressing like someone twice his age with ten times the income?"
Someone who still lives with his Dad and thus has ready ties to borrow.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,384
Reaction score
2,073
Originally Posted by Manton
I have an aversion to iconic brand ties for job interviews. Actually I have an aversion to iconic brand ties generally. However, sticking to the subject at hand, I would hesitate to wear Hermes or Ferragamo to a job interview. To the non-obsessed (i.e., people who, unlike a lot of us, do not know of or drool over Marinella, Drake, Nicky, etc.), these two brands are at the top of heap, price- and status-wise. Thus you might unwittingly engender unhelpful thoughts, such as "Who does this punk kid think he is, dressing like someone twice his age with ten times the income?" Unfair, to be sure, but life is often unfair.
I agree with the aversion in general to Hermes and the like. I like some prints, but not recognizable ones of barnyard animals.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
429,123
Messages
9,229,498
Members
193,737
Latest member
Sebastian R
Top